• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The Sylvan arms adapter leaves a little more of a gap at the buffer tube than the Law Tactical one does. Both function similarly but are slightly different. I lean towards the Law adapter because of the clean look of it. I like that it looks like it was designed like that vs just an add on.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    My Sylvan Gen3 will arrive tomorrow.

No experience with a LAW...they’re unobtanium right now and I’m trying to be less OAF than improve transport options.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Most of the cool stuff is unobtainium right now. Shield Arms and New Frontier Armory also make a lower with folding stock built into it. Both run from $300-$350 for stripped lowers, but are of course out of stock.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    My Sylvan Gen3 will arrive tomorrow.

No experience with a LAW...they’re unobtanium right now and I’m trying to be less OAF than improve transport options.

Give us an update when you receive it and once installed.

The Sylvan arms adapter leaves a little more of a gap at the buffer tube than the Law Tactical one does. Both function similarly but are slightly different. I lean towards the Law adapter because of the clean look of it. I like that it looks like it was designed like that vs just an add on.

I agree the LT does seem to blend in better but the Sylvan does add some extras length to reduce the cramped feel when shouldering.

So are these just knock offs of the LAW TACTICAL folder and at basicly the same price? I'll stick with LAW I think

The Law Tactical is $100 more than the Sylvan. The Sylvan is $149 at Primary Arms

My Sylvan has detents that provide some resistance to the brace flopping around when in the closed position. I think there may be a way to tighten the hinge a little, but mine doesn't move enough for it to be an issue for me.

The unshielded release button has been a non issue for me. In several range trips, it has not once been accidentally released.

I have yet to compare the Sylvan and the Law Tactical side by side, but I can honestly say the Sylvan has been everything I'd hoped it would be for me.

Thank you for the feedback

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I have the Sylvan Gen 3. It holds open just fine, and actually has a pretty strong detent to keep it in place while folded. I think most of people's issues came from the Gen 2, which was addressed with the Gen 3 from my understanding. I simply went with Sylvan over Law Tac because of the price, paid $160 vs $250. I was going for a budget backpack build, and don't really care how it looks. Law Tac is the standard, so you can't go wrong with that choice, but I have no issues with my Sylvan.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Where is “in stock?” Direct from Sylvan?

It was in stock when I placed my order and made the post here...I see now that Sylvan is showing "[FONT=&amp]Please contact an authorized representative to order through email at [/FONT]sales@sylvanarms.com[FONT=&amp] or by phone at [/FONT]888-256-5632"

Weird.

Anyway...mine arrived yesterday and I installed it this morning. I ordered the refurbished Gen3 but it arrived in packaging that did not indicate it was a refurb - looked brand new. Come to think of it, perhaps thats why it isn't available for purchase on the website anymore?

sB8w7rn.jpg

I own four ARs currently, all originally built as pistols, which now are two SBRs with staked castle nuts and two carbines. I plan on converting one carbine into a SBA3 configured pistol, so to appease the BATFE Gods I removed all uppers from lowers for comparison.

The picture below shows one of my SBR lowers on top with the originally pistol lower on bottom that will soon wear a SBA3. The Sylvan Gen3 added 2 1/8" length from front of lower to rear of buffer tube.

AClP7q0.jpg

In the folded position, the detent is positive and holds the system folded open.

S5pQhVZ.jpg

I placed my preferred ACS-L stock with flush cup (13.0oz) on the lower and folded it; with detent it remained positively closed. If I turned the lower parallel to the horizon, however, the folded half would slowly fall open. I then tried a MOE carbine stock (8.6oz), and the detent kept the system folded when parallel to horizon. SBA3 is spec 6.75oz so shouldn't be an issue there.

With the Sylvan Gen3, I estimate a folded 10.5" barreled upper with A2 birdcage length muzzle device is 21.5" from stem to stern.

In all, for $121.50 delivered to my door with OPIE10 coupon code I'm quite pleased so far. I hope to test fire the system this weekend.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Test fired the Sylvan Gen3 yesterday, 10 rounds of a Mk262 clone load (77gr Nosler over 23.5gr 8208XBR) and 20 rounds of Wolf Gold 55gr FMJ...functioned perfectly.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I got mine in. Looks pretty well made. I put it on a bare pistol lower with a brace. Looks funny since nothing else is on there.

Trying to decide if I want to go with a super short barrel.

Top Bottom