• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do You Use EDC Knives to Prep & Eat Food?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We've got the typical kitchen knife set at our house and it's fine, but I look at meal prep as an opportunity to test and get familiar with gear. When my wife asks me to cut up some onions, I have to decide which toy I'm going to play with. I don't do this at restaurants, because I do have some manners. As far as using my EDC blade for meal prep in the kitchen, I can't imagine not using it. I have zero hesitation in pulling out my edc and slicing meat, or cutting up veggies. I don't know why anyone would. Then again I scroll through the knife picture thread and see all the mint condition knives guys have been "using" every day for years that don't have the first scuff mark on them. Ultimately for me I look at the kitchen as a great place to get that much more familiar with a tool that I intend to use when I'm far away from home.

I couldn't agree more on needing touched up after cutting on a hard plate. Our kids are still little so we have a lot of plastic plates so those are my cutting boards more times than not. As far as blades being dirty, I do this great trip where I pinch my fingers on either flat/dull side of the blade and wipe off any dust and magically it's ready for some cooking.

I'm not sure how you can carry and use a knife and not see signs of wear, but maybe I'm just weird? I have a few folders that I couldn't afford (but bought anyway) that a lot of people would do their best to keep in pristine, new in the box condition. They all have scuffs and scratches on the frames from being carried and the same on the blades from use and an occasional "oops" when sharpening/reprofiling the edge. My AdV Tac Butcher has butchered more than a few steak on my plate and it shows the signs of use. By the way, you have to be super careful when using a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade to cut food on your plate. It's very easy to put the point into the plate and damage one or both.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Last night I did a little touch-up on the Buck 110 I've been using the most lately (2017 DLT Exclusive, CPM S30V drop point blade, rosewood scales) and got it so it would tree top my puny arm hair (without polishing or stropping). Then I used it today to cut Swiss cheese. I cut a good sized hunk from the block, then cut smaller pieces from that hunk for proper consumption over most of the morning. THANK GOD I HAD MY BUCK 110! Otherwise, I would have been gnawing on that block of cheese like a savage

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The chief cook doesn't care for razor sharp knives when she cooks so I keep all of my deer butchering tools in a box to be used only for that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The chief cook doesn't care for razor sharp knives when she cooks so I keep all of my deer butchering tools in a box to be used only for that.

That's something I don't understand. My own issues notwithstanding, sharper knives are safer (when used properly) because you don't have to exert as much force.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    If I am getting something for the Boss, I use a kitchen knife. If it is something for me, my Yojimbe 2 or Ronnin 2(prolly didnt spell them right) slice just fine.:D

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Since I switched to fixed blades for EDC, cutting food of any fashion seems much more appropriate. Certainly more sanitary also.

How do you cut a steak without the cutting edge touching the plate?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Whatever I've got in my pocket is often used for whatever I want cut wherever...then again I don't use my fighting knives for culinary duty. If I need something more serious than a folder in the kitchen I just open the knife drawer and select an appropriate instrument.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Since I switched to fixed blades for EDC, cutting food of any fashion seems much more appropriate. Certainly more sanitary also.

I travel with a Shua Higo Nokami for remote steak encounters...you have to be careful not to grind on the plate but a razor sharp blade makes that much easier.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's something I don't understand. My own issues notwithstanding, sharper knives are safer (when used properly) because you don't have to exert as much force.

I would agree 100%, but after 39 years I've been unsuccessful impressing that on the chief cook.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

That's the #1 problem.

I do the following:

When I am cutting I try to avoid going all the way through to the plate, then I lift the steak a little with my fork and finish the cut. That's easy if the blade is sharp and thin.

Another trick is to do the above to cut a piece big enough for a few bites. The transfer that piece on top of the rest of the steak and cut it into bite sized chunks, using the rest of the steak as a tasty cutting board.

I made a few mistakes today using my 2018 DLT Exclusive Buck 110 that I carry on my belt now (the one with the black linen Micarta scales, CMP S35VN drop point). I was working on the NY strip side of a T-bone and hit the plate a few times. If i were a stropper, a bit of stropping would fix that. I'll hit it with a few light strokes on a worn-out diamond rod.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got my new neck sheath made for this (mine has green micarta), the Bark River Featherweight Fox River. It's back to me all-the-time neck knife duty. It looks like a paring knife and functions like a paring knife and more. This and my Mini Kephart are the sliciest fixed blades I own. Both are full convex grind, CPM 3V blades, made from 3/32" stock.

fox_river_featherweight_elmax_black_canvas_micarta_229_95.sized.jpg
    mini-kephart-3v-antique-ivory-micarta-red-liners-229.95.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    While in the kitchen, I use the kitchen knives.

But... At work, the garage, friends homes, the car, and camping I use my EDC. Especially camping I cut the meat with it. My girls are old enough now that they just bring their own EDCs and do the same. I don't think the camping kitchen gear even has knives that I think about it.
    Also I just wipe my knife on my pants to clean it off AFTER I use it. It's been nice and clean in my pocket all day up to pulling it out so why should I clean it twice?

It's like the old cliché of washing your hands after peeing. Which I usually don't. I wash my hand before peeing. My Gnat Killer™ has been locked up safe all day in a nice sanitary cotton tent. My hands on the other hand have been touching door knobs, steering wheels, icky peoples hands, boogers, etc... My filthy hands will definitely need to be cleaned BEFORE touching my Gnat Killer™. I might wash after only if I have time or if I had a ricochet during delivery.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I often use my EDC folder to slice tomatoes in the kitchen since it's sharper than any other knife I can find in the kitchen.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Mr. Rhino, sir - you have absolutely exquisite taste in blades. Those Bark Rivers are simply fabulous.

Why thank you, sir! I wish I could take credit for making them too!

The best part about the two is that they are made from 3/32" thick CPM 3V stock. Super thin = super slicey and the 3V makes them strong.

Top Bottom