• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was just reading an article in the new Popular Science about a food replacement powder called Soylent. No it is not humans, lol. If it could be shown to work without ill effects, it could change long term food stores. Didn't dig deep into what volume of powder is needed per shake but I can't imagine it being all that much. Thoughts?

How I Survived A Week Without Food | Popular Science

Not the article in the print magazine but it talks about Soylent.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Keep in mind that as a long term food replacement, synth-a-food sucks hind teet. Notice how it was developed out of the concept of food replacement for acute care patients in hospitals who couldn't take real food. Are you planning to spend the apocalypse in a hospital bed? Me neither. What is one of the cardinal rules of food storage? Eat what you store. Store what you eat. If your food stores are not to your own liking, are you gonna eat the packs of freeze dried food some company tossed into their prepper variety packs? Prolly not. You'll save them for last, and if its way past its expiration date, those food stores you just don't like will get pitched in the camp fire.

The human pallet craves variety. Didn't you see the mess hall scene from the original Matrix? It would take an extraordinary individual to not just physicly withstand having your entire caloric and nutrient intake replaced with synth-a-food, but to withstand the mental attrition of it as well.

I think the best way to weave something like synth-a-food into a prepper's repertoire would be as a one meal a day meal-replacement regimen. Prolly lunch. Get up, eat a hardy breakfast. Pack your synth-a-food lunch for your work site. It's lightweight and compact, hence easy to pack, and in the field, quick to consume. Come home, eat a hardy supper. In this fashion, you get the best of both worlds, plenty of real food plus the food stores extension and nutritional regulation benefits of synth-a-food, and don't go insane on nothing but bland, powdery, tasteless goop like Cypher did.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I agree that you would never use this as a total replacement but last resort or occasional meal replacement that would stretch your supplies. The guy who is working on this 'ate' nothing but this for a month and survived. I could never drink my meal for any sort of extended period.

Top Bottom