• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I know this has been asked before. I have even read many, maybe even most of them. Maybe I need to ask the Q differently so I get the answer I need. I think Im looking for all the answers from the same person for easier comparison. Forgive me in advance for being too analytical.

1. As far as bags and absorbers. is there a BRAND that is better than another or is it only price that I need to concider? or maybe the service of the seller. I have been amassing ( a few) buckets and now I want to start filling them.

2. Where do I buy my supplies? Whats a good/reasonable price?

3. Whats the concensus - 4-5 one-gallon bags per bucket or 1 five-gallon bag per bucket. I have seen some do 2-3-4 products in 1 large bag also. Is there a RIGHT and WRONG here or only a PREFERENCE?

4. What kind of storage life spans are we looking at?

I know I will get differeing answers but I have learned in here there are many right answers to some Q's.

Thanks

Jeff

PopFizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    1 and 2 I'll not be much help as I shop all over the net for reasonably priced products.

3. Do multiple bags per bucket (unless you are feeding a group of people 10+ then I'd understand the one bag per bucket). It isolates the loss if a seal fails or is compromised in other ways. Plus IMHO you'll want to rotate what you eat to keep some normalcy in your life.

What I along with plenty of others with families do is put a few pounds of different meal items individually packed in bags all in the same bucket (so you'll eat a few days out of one bucket and the next bucket will be a rotation in food). I don't know any people that constantly eat the same thing every meal, everyday.

4. Life span depends on a lot of variables. Dark, cool, low humidity, plenty of O2 absorbers in bags and just free in buckets...let alone the food you're sealing. Some food with perfect conditions can last decades, other food a handful of years.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I agree with multiple bags in single bucket or other storage container.Variety and safety will be a couple key factors if you ever need to dip into the stores.The buckets are more for protecting the bags and easier storage. I have stuff in bags stuffed into totes. No secondary seal, but easy to move around.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    1. As far as bags and absorbers. is there a BRAND that is better than another or is it only price that I need to concider? or maybe the service of the seller. I have been amassing ( a few) buckets and now I want to start filling them.
    Not really much to worry about in terms of brand. The key thing to check on is the thickness of the mylar bags. Thicker is more resistant to oxygen penetration.

2. Where do I buy my supplies? Whats a good/reasonable price?
    There are a number of places to buy online. If you are near Indy, I recommend Indiana Self Defense on the east side.

3. Whats the concensus - 4-5 one-gallon bags per bucket or 1 five-gallon bag per bucket. I have seen some do 2-3-4 products in 1 large bag also. Is there a RIGHT and WRONG here or only a PREFERENCE?
    It is preference and your circumstances. If you will be feeding a larger group, then one bag/food per bucket makes sense. If you are targeting a smaller group, then 1 gallon bags and a mixture of foods might make more sense so that you don't have to open multiple buckets at the same time.

4. What kind of storage life spans are we looking at? I like this site for food shelf-life info: StillTasty: Your Ultimate Shelf Life Guide. Basic rice and beans can last 25-30 years, a few foods indefinitely and most far less.

Finally, this is a good video on how to seal foods:
    [video=youtube_share;fk9b0dAtJ80]http://youtu.be/fk9b0dAtJ80[/video]

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I am a total amateur in all this. I will say, I think smaller bags/containers is the way to go. I even like smaller 2gal buckets. They make more sense for rotation, end use, sharing, trading, whatever. At least to me with a small group.

I just did my first run at it with 5 gal buckets and I wish Id gone smaller. In the future I will.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom