• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrisjross85

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    Martinsville,IN
    I am sorry if this has been brought up I looked around and didn’t see anything. What are your thoughts and concerns about storing large amounts of food (Beans, Rice, etc) in a 55 gallon drum? Ok here are my thoughts if that time does come that we are dependent on our food how long will this last once we break that seal. I have been thinking about a larger amount of 5 gallon buckets, I know we are talking about a lot more room. But think if you were put in the position that you needed or wanted to move for whatever reason, you now have added the benefit of mobility. I’m a big guy and I aint carrying no 55 gallon drum of beans let me tell yea.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    5 gallon buckets are a common solution for preppers storing food. Haven't heard of anyone using 55 gallon barrels, though it is certainly possible. There are plenty of mylar bags already available in 5 gallon size for the purpose.

Really though, the mylar is more important for protection from oxidation and keeping the food fresh. The container is largely to protect against rodents and insects, so a 55 gallon barrel containing multiple bags that were properly sealed would work fine.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    check out cheaperthandirt.com, there are storage solutions on there. order one of their catalogs, its easier than digging thru the website.

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    I also vac pac stuff in smaller portions. 2 to 3 person servings and then put in a 5 gal bucket. This way when you break the seal you don't have to worry about resealing. IMO.

Top Bottom