• rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Where else do rights come from?

Are you joking? (I hope)

The US Constitution does not create, grant, or confer any kind of rights on anyone or anything. It was intended to enumerate and protect our rights from encroachment by the government.

Our rights are inherent to being adult human beings who are responsible for our own actions. Whether does are given to us by God or are innate to humans in the absence of God is immaterial.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Our rights are inherent to being adult human beings who are responsible for our own actions. Whether does are given to us by God or are innate to humans in the absence of God is immaterial.

How do you determine what constitutes a right? Do you just make it up as you go along then? Or do you have a list somewhere that the rest of us can see? Is it a right if you can get 51% of the people to agree?

You need to clarify what you're saying. I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Since I believe God created the world, yes. But it's not up to me or anyone else to establish a theocracy.

I don't disagree. That's why the next statement in the DoI was "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed.."

And to that end, the Constitution was instituted and clarified those rights. Nowhere was the "right of marriage" mentioned, so it falls under 10A.

Therefore, the states have the right to regulate marriage under the constitution. You may not like it, but it's within the bounds of constitutional principles.

So, quit referring to marriage as a "right", we both know it isn't. All that does is dilute actual rights we have.

Also, since it isn't a right, your advocacy of homosexual marriage is nothing more than an attempt to force your moral preferences on the rest of society, the very thing you accuse opponents of doing.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I don't disagree. That's why the next statement in the DoI was "That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the consent of the governed.."

And to that end, the Constitution was instituted and clarified those rights. Nowhere was the "right of marriage" mentioned, so it falls under 10A.

Therefore, the states have the right to regulate marriage under the constitution. You may not like it, but it's within the bounds of constitutional principles.

So, quit referring to marriage as a "right", we both know it isn't. All that does is dilute actual rights we have.

Also, since it isn't a right, your advocacy of homosexual marriage is nothing more than an attempt to force your moral preferences on the rest of society, the very thing you accuse opponents of doing.

My goal is not legalizing gay marriage. It's getting the government and the busybodies that empower government out of it. You with me? Hello repubs, you with me?

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Sorry, fetuses aren't humans. Abortion isn't murder.

Tell that to people sitting in jail for two counts of murder when they killed a pregnant woman.

That aside, you clearly don't have a position of integrity regarding the DoI. In your world the DoI supports homosexual marriage and abortion as part of our inalienable rights?

That would be funny if it wasn't so perverse.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN

The only ones calling it "homosexual marriage" are mainly homophobes and those who are somehow threatened by letting gay people get married. It's simply called "marriage".

Most of us don't really care WHO gets married and feel it's none of our business telling them they can't do it.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    My goal is not legalizing gay marriage. It's getting the government and the busybodies that empower government out of it. You with me? Hello repubs, you with me?

Really? Then quit suggesting we need to support it to get liberals to support 2A.

You with me? Hello libertarians, you with me?

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Tell that to people sitting in jail for two counts of murder when they killed a pregnant woman.

That aside, you clearly don't have a position of integrity regarding the DoI. In your world the DoI supports homosexual marriage and abortion as part of our inalienable rights?

That would be funny if it wasn't so perverse.

You're overthinking this, I feel that it's none of our business telling people WHO they can marry. Why do people like you feel you can dictate what people can do when it comes to their own happiness?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Really? Then quit suggesting we need to support it to get liberals to support 2A.

You with me? Hello libertarians, you with me?

I'm suggesting conservatives quit supporting the status quo and quit supporting a constitutional amendment against gay marriage.

Maybe you're not aware of it but there are gay gun owners who post on this site. I don't know what is personally more important to them, 2A or their private lives. But do you think they're going to vote for a pro 2A republican who wants to institute sodomy laws and criminalize their private bedroom activities? Given the choice between a Rick Santorum or a moderate democrat, who do you think they're going to vote for? I'm not saying anyone has to support gay marriage. Just drop the war against it.

Herstal

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just the terms "conservative" and "liberal" paint with too broad a brush.

Thinking that gays should be allowed to be "married" -- makes you liberal?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Marriage is a right. I could get married tomorrow and the State or the government can do nothing to stop me.

Rights cannot be diluted, only infringed. A persons right to do anything is limited by 2 things 1) government 2) if what that person wants do causes someone else harm.

Top Bottom