• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Walter Williams is a brilliant man.

Were it not for his stature, however, I think he might fail the so-called "purity tests" that seem to be so important to a select few self-described Libertarians, libertarians, and those who enjoy ridiculing Libertarians and libertarians.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What the hell are you guys so excited about?
    I watched the whole damn thing and he didn't say anything at all about The Librarians.
    Did they get OKed to do another season? Is there a new movie out?

I Love Mystique :drool:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    rhino said:
    Were it not for his stature, however, I think he might fail the so-called "purity tests" that seem to be so important to a select few self-described Libertarians, libertarians, and those who enjoy ridiculing Libertarians and libertarians.

Which specific 'tests' do you believe he would fail? This is the first I've seen him speak, so I'm not very familiar with him in general. I liked what he said here though.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Which specific 'tests' do you believe he would fail? This is the first I've seen him speak, so I'm not very familiar with him in general. I liked what he said here though.

I may be wrong on this but I am pretty sure he is pro traditional marriage, is against abortion, supported the Iraq War, and believes in God...Among some (not all but more than a few) Libertarians this would make him seem more as a Republican...I may be wrong on his stance but I have read his articles for years and IIRC he believes these things...If I am wrong I apologize because I didn't research this before I posted it..

Unlike Kut I sometimes post before researching....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What the hell are you guys so excited about?
    I watched the whole damn thing and he didn't say anything at all about The Librarians.
    Did they get OKed to do another season? Is there a new movie out?

I Love Mystique :drool:

What do you have against Liberians? Are you some kind of racist or something? I think you're a racist, you cracker-a** moth** f***er.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Those aren't necessarily anti-libertarian. I say this pretty often, but a position on an issue is sometimes less important than the principles used to get there.

This article is an interesting summary of the guy:Black and Libertarian: A Look at Walter E. Williams - At the Intersection of Faith and Culture

Walter E. Williams is to be commended for the courage that he has exhibited in his lifelong campaign to combat the leftist illusions that have seized the minds of millions of his fellow Americans, white and black. But it is important to recognize that while the substance of his positions on social issues is virtually identical to that of, say, Thomas Sowell, Williams arrives at many of his conclusions by means of premises reflective of his allegiance to, not conservatism, but libertarianism or classical liberalism.

I've read some of his columns and so far, can't find much to disagree with.

Williams reasons that if redistributive measures of the sort that most Americans have come to expect from their government are morally impermissible when employed by individual agents, they cannot be made right just because they have been enacted into law. “Americans must ask whether an act clearly immoral and criminal when done privately becomes moral when done collectively and given legal sanction.” The answer to this question, Williams asserts, is a no-brainer. “The unambiguous answer will be that legality is a poor guide to morality.”

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    For me, a good example of the "purist" versus the "realist" comes in the movie Michael Collins. In it Liam Neeson has been in the IRA fighting British occupation for years. He has seen firsthand the death and devastation on both sides of the conflict.

When he is eventually chosen to go to England and negotiate a peace treaty he is vilified by the "purists" for not getting everything right now! From his view he sees that he got the absolutely best deal that he could and it gave the Irish people the tool they needed to move forward in the future to get more, but it wasn't good enough for the purists. The purists let perfect stand in the way of good.

So too it goes with Libertarians, and all parties for that matter, but Libertarians can be really bad about it. The purists will oppose a step in the right direction because it doesn't go far enough fast enough. The realists, or pragmatists, see the reality knowing they cannot get everything they want so settle on baby steps in the right direction.

I wholehearted agree with Mr. Williams. He understands the reality that we didn't get where we are overnight and we cannot coarse correct overnight. Sadly, there are many who cannot see that fact.

Regards,

Doug

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Who wins the most poker tournaments? The guys who bet carefully and strategically, going bigger when they have the advantage and pulling back when they know they are beat, OR the guys who go "all in" on each hand regardless of what cards they hold?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't know any libertarians who oppose a good step in the right direction.

I know some who oppose voting for 1 step in the wrong direction instead of 1.5 steps in the wrong direction.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Not necessarily flunked by you but his comments in this video regarding the 10th amendment and that rights not specifically enumerated as being Constitutionally "hands-off", are left to the states and the people to decide how to handle would and has raised howls amongst some of our resident libertarians.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    Not necessarily flunked by you but his comments in this video regarding the 10th amendment and that rights not specifically enumerated as being Constitutionally "hands-off", are left to the states and the people to decide how to handle would and has raised howls amongst some of our resident libertarians.

I see. So when this 'ingotarian' blather comes up, it's those 1 or 2 people who are being referred to typically?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    You'd probably flunk the purity test

aKQB8.gif

Top Bottom