• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    I will be getting my Dillon in a couple days and I was curious what your cost is to reload a 9mm with range brass?? I'm not counting the press, tools, etc. Just the components - powder, bullet, primer. I had always understood it to be about .12 cents. I think I may have been mistaken. :rolleyes: I am all about bulk buying and know it can vary a bit but what's a good "ballpark"?
    My next question is where to get the best bulk deals here in Hoosierville? (Indy area would be nice.)
    Thanx a bunch!!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Pro Fire is THE place in the Indy area to get your reloading supplies. As far as cost per round, that depends largely on your choice of bullet. The brass, primer and powder charge costs are fairly constant and not a significant part of the overall total. I use Hornady 124gr fully encapsulated bullets, so my per round cost is a little higher, but still WAY less than factory. I choose to use this bullet because it works well in the handguns and 9mm carbine I shoot them from.

T4rdV4rk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah like whiskey said, it's 11 cents or so if you buy lead. Be sure to buy everything that you can in bulk.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Thanx Guys,
    I guess what i heard was about right then. That's great as I want to shoot twice as much! :rockwoot:
    So where is BK and Pro Fire? I am south east of Indy a bit. I was going to wait till the 1500 and pick up bulk there but I may not wait. Or, maybe go 50/50. I have a card from Vance who I saw there. (I can shoot lead bullets/no jackets) He shows $26 per 500. That sounds pretty good.(??:dunno:??)
    I am looking at supplies for 5K. Will 8lb. do that many?
    Thanx again!!!!

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    my cost are 79.00 per 1000 xtreme plated bullet 115 grain, titegroup powder 11.00 (half pound) 4.3 grains per load, 30.00 primers total 120.00 or .12 per round.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanx Guys,
    I am looking at supplies for 5K. Will 8lb. do that many?
    Thanx again!!!!

Buying in bulk saves much, but I will caution you... Regardless if you are new to loading or not, I would never suggest buying in bulk until you actually try the components...

Once you find the load that works for you, then buy away !

Yes, 8 lbs would be plenty for 5000 rounds, even with the slower burning powders...

I would also be another vote for profile or BK... Ask them what powder they'd recommend and try (1) pound for now... Maybe ask for (2) or (3) different bullet weights/profiles that are available in bulk and see if they'd sell you a 100 or so of each. Try all out and go with what makes you the happiest...

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Right now, with my Plated 124 gr rn bullets, titegroup, and Winchester primers I am right at 0.126277143 per round.

Also, yes, go to Profire for all your needs.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Pro Fire is on the south side of Indy, just off Kentucky Avenue, north of the Wendy's and White Castle, west of the dump.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I like jacketed bullets in the 9mm. Buying in bulk, figure 13-15 cents a bullet, 3-4 cents per primer, and 2-3 cents powder. Re-using my own brass makes it 18 to 22 cents each. That is $9.00 to $11.00 a box, not much savings on the 9mm, if you load ammo that is just like the standard (not discount line) of brand name American ammo.

The powder and primer costs are similar on larger calibers, but the bullets are a little more. So $13.00 a box for .45 or .357 is a big savings

I figure all the costs on a product, including shipping and hazmat to my location. If I pick them up in person, I still have retail cost plus taxes, and that does not even take gas costs into consideration. I do not use chinese, commie or surplus components. As you can see, others shave a little more by using some cheaper or imported components.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I like jacketed bullets in the 9mm. Buying in bulk, figure 13-15 cents a bullet, 3-4 cents per primer, and 2-3 cents powder. Re-using my own brass makes it 18 to 22 cents each. That is $9.00 to $11.00 a box, not much savings on the 9mm, if you load ammo that is just like the standard (not discount line) of brand name American ammo.

The powder and primer costs are similar on larger calibers, but the bullets are a little more. So $13.00 a box for .45 or .357 is a big savings

I figure all the costs on a product, including shipping and hazmat to my location. If I pick them up in person, I still have retail cost plus taxes, and that does not even take gas costs into consideration. I do not use chinese, commie or surplus components. As you can see, others shave a little more by using some cheaper or imported components.

So, if I am buying 9mm at $10/box and .45 at $15/box, it will take quite some time to get my ROI on my reloading equipment back unless I am missing something.

Toolepqk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.3%
    52   2   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    So, if I am buying 9mm at $10/box and .45 at $15/box, it will take quite some time to get my ROI on my reloading equipment back unless I am missing something.

Using berry bullets, titegroup and Winchester primers 9mm costs me just under $13 per 100 rounds. Using lead bullets I'm loading about $10 per 100 rounds. I recently started loading .45, my first 1000 loaded rounds of lead ran about $135.

Chaz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Just got back from Profire. What an excellent recommendation!! THANX guys!!!!!!! Andrew was a wealth of info and a great guy to boot! I took my (new to me) used press up there an he went over it and set things up for me. Great guy!!
    I also signed up for a class and will be doing my reloading business with him. It's a great thing to find someone who actually "cares" now a days.I will now HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend him as well.
    Looking forward to the class.

Top Bottom