• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    Which is a more useful, quiet, fast, accurate survival weapon, a crossbow or compound bow.

I've never owned either one and looking to buy one of them for survival purposes mostly but maybe Ill it take hunting.

To get into the more specific questions...
    Which can you acquire a target faster with?
    Which can be loaded faster and easier?

Thanks.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    They both suck. I only hunt deer with both, not guns. A suppressed .22 beats both any day. My cross bow is much louder than a suppressed .22. Hunting with them requires much more skill.

sticks4walking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Nobletucky
    You will be able to load and aim a compound alot faster. A crossbow will be easier for you to get on target with almost no practice. A compound is going to take some practice to get good with. IMO

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I'll weigh in with a vote from the longbow crowd. Simple, robust, and a joy to use, it's the kind of tool you can get addicted to having around.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I agree the bow over the cross bow. Also, consider a "take down" recurve bow. The limbs unscrew from the risor. I have a PSE Coyote, it will take down and go into my pack with the arrows. I killed a Pope and Young Trophy buck with mine. I think mine is 60Lbs pull. I would get a lighter pull like one around say 45 lbs for multi purpose. Unless your gonna become very proficient with it. Try this link, Sportsmans has one on clearance for a little over 100 bucks

Pse Stalker Recurve Bow - 959329, Recurve at Sportsman's Guide

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Archery is a great skill, it forces you to be better at so many things. Not trying to be a jack but I can not see a situation where I would choose to ignore over 200 years of weapons advancement.

Curls & Swirls

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Morgan County
    Archery is a great skill, it forces you to be better at so many things. Not trying to be a jack but I can not see a situation where I would choose to ignore over 200 years of weapons advancement.

Situation = You run out of ammo and can't find any more

Situation = You can not afford ammo or an advanced weapon

Situation = You are saving your ammo for a target that has a more advanced "brain"

IMO having a bow as a backup with arrows that can be reused is a good idea. I think if you can not afford or get an advanced weapon right now this would be better than nothing.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Archery is more expensive than you think. Arrows are more fragile than you think. Making arrows is harder than you think.

Single shot NEF rifle or shotgun for around $100 wins.

Archery as a back up is a great idea, being proficient at hunting with archery is a win all around. You are better at being quiet, accurate, patient, aware of your surroundings, camouflage, etc.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    As jlr noted, eventually making bows is your ultimate survival archery skill. Making bows isn't that hard. It was so easy a caveman could do it. Seriously though it's not an impossible skill to learn. Start with making a selfbow out of a piece of 1x2x6' of oak from Menards. I'm tillering mine right now.

As to arrows, probably the easiest way to start is the Martha Stewart bamboo tomato stakes at Kmart. Guys who do it a lot more than me say the ones that are at least 1/4" thick work best for them.

grahamsy2k

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I agree the bow over the cross bow. Also, consider a "take down" recurve bow. The limbs unscrew from the risor. I have a PSE Coyote, it will take down and go into my pack with the arrows. I killed a Pope and Young Trophy buck with mine. I think mine is 60Lbs pull. I would get a lighter pull like one around say 45 lbs for multi purpose. Unless your gonna become very proficient with it. Try this link, Sportsmans has one on clearance for a little over 100 bucks

Pse Stalker Recurve Bow - 959329, Recurve at Sportsman's Guide

This seems pretty cool. Im going to look into it more. Thanks!

Top Bottom