• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Given my current career path, I'll never become rich. If by some miracle I win the lottery or find out I'm somehow related to Donald Trump, I will spend my days in fast cars and old war planes. Great video!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The only thing I've ever flown that was even close to a warbird was a SIAI Marchetti light attack fighter built in the early '60s. I also flew a Waco biplane, but I wouldn't call that a Warbird, given that it was early-'30s. I'd love to get some stick time in an F4U Corsair, P38 Lightning or (holy cow!) a P-51D Mustang. That would also have to be a miracle lottery situation for me.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, something about those old planes that really tugs at me too. Old fashioned stick and rudder flying, where the pilots pretty much strapped on the plane and it was an extension of them.

Not that I wouldn't love some seat time in a modern miltary jet, because I would. But to fly an old war bird would just be awesome.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    that was awesome! Ive had a chance to get up close and personal with 2 B-17s in the last few years when they have landed at Hulman field. I still need to break loose with some $$ and take a ride in one.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    that was awesome! Ive had a chance to get up close and personal with 2 B-17s in the last few years when they have landed at Hulman field. I still need to break loose with some $$ and take a ride in one.

The Smithsonian Air and Space museum has the Enola Gay. You can't actually enter it, but you can get right up close and personal with the whole flight deck. I recommend it. It's a very powerful experience, for obvious reasons.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Flew in a B17 and a T6 Texan. Money well spent. I got to do the controls for the maneuvers in the T6. A P51 would be sweet but if I was going to spend that kind of scratch, it will be in a fighter jet.

318817-R1-03-4A.jpg

B-17PurdueAirportLafSept072008099.jpg

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    The Smithsonian Air and Space museum has the Enola Gay. You can't actually enter it, but you can get right up close and personal with the whole flight deck. I recommend it. It's a very powerful experience, for obvious reasons.

yeah, ive seen that one to. the ones Ive seen in Terre Haute allowed you to go through them. the best part about it was there is a local guy who was a B17 ball turret gunner, who always comes out to talk about his experiences and share his pictures. I sat and listened to him talk and asked questions for a long time when the last one came through town. It was an awesome experience!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    A long time ago a friend told me he went to OH to a museum with all planes, said it was great. Does anyone know the name an where in OH it is? Also any other places to go, with a few hours drive to see some old warbirds. I love WWII fighters.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Can't get the vid to work, but I'm guessing it's the one with the B25 and B17 flying over Saguaro and Roosevelt lakes in Arizona? The B17 is one of the traveling ones (not sure if it's the one that went down in IL on its way to Indy last month?), but the B25 stays at Falcon Field, a small airfield off Higley Rd in Phoenix (may actually be Mesa) AZ.

It sits outside an italian resturant called Anzio's Landing that's decorated with memoribilia and pictures from the air war in Italy. Great food and great views - right at the end of the runway so you can see all the general aviation planes T/O & land as you look past the B25 sitting 20 feet outside your window. They do rides in the B-25 mitchell as well, but I think you have to make reservations a ways ahead of time.

Top Bottom