• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What would you do if the U.S. gov. told you to go around and disarm civilians?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Constitution means what the Supreme Court says it means. If they want to interpret law so as to abrogate what you perceive as your Constitutional Right to Keep and Bear Arms, they are right and you are wrong. This applies all down the line where questions of Constitutional Law come up. I got into an almost nasty discussion with the guy over "Plain Language" and "Founders' Intent" and in the end it makes no difference, policy-wise, to the military hierarchy. They will follow the law, guided by their JAGs, and if the law can be twisted to encompass disarming the American populace - and if the Supreme Court agrees - they will order it done.

So which laws should they enforce? Is that their choice? I'm foreseeing the answer, "those that don't conflict with the Constitution", but that sets every single cop on the road up as being a judge, or more precisely, a Supreme Court Justice. No offense meant to any officer, but that is NOT their role. They're no more equipped to do that job than I (as a paramedic) am to be a neurosurgeon

I think this is a very interesting discussion but I wanted to start a new thread and get some wide input on it.

Do officers have to uphold the Constitution, or the orders of Congress/SCOTUS?

vanillagorilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    central Indy
    I have items stolen more than once but never once has a leo found it and brought it back. Most of my encounters with leo"s are when they are protecting and serving getting paid OT to write me a seatbelt ticket.

Sorry for you and your stuff. Does that mean you also start a new thread when you get crappy service at a restaurant or when you don't get all your food at the drive thru? Get real, the LEO did not write the law, they enforce it. Vote for someone who will change the law if you don't like it. AND the LEO's do not get OT for writing tickets, most of them make less than you think.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    If the U.S. government told you to go from house to house to disarm civilians what would you do? Eventually they will disarm you too. Keep in mind these are law abiding blue collar civilians, not thug gangster wannabes.

The US Government doesn't tell us what to do when doing our job.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sure am glad this post was resurrected over a year after over a year in its grave.

The question is stupid. Meth is illegal. I would say that this isn't a very controversial ban, as the majority of society believes that meth should be illegal. I've yet to see a house to house confiscation of meth or meth related items.

Even if you totally throw out the rule of law, how many man hours do you think this would take? Have you ever done a good search of a home? Even a small apartment will take hours.

Let's look at NYC. 53 cops per 10,000 residents. You do the math on how long it would take teams of 4 officers to go to every residence in the city and search it.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Sure am glad this post was resurrected over a year after over a year in its grave.

The question is stupid. Meth is illegal. I would say that this isn't a very controversial ban, as the majority of society believes that meth should be illegal. I've yet to see a house to house confiscation of meth or meth related items.

Even if you totally throw out the rule of law, how many man hours do you think this would take? Have you ever done a good search of a home? Even a small apartment will take hours.

Let's look at NYC. 53 cops per 10,000 residents. You do the math on how long it would take teams of 4 officers to go to every residence in the city and search it.

They did it in Nawlins after Katrina...

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Very unsettling that there are people who voted that they would obey the order. Unreal. I wish this was a public poll

If it were public I bet we would find the people that voted to do it aren't/weren't even police or military. Of course there probably wouldn't be anyone voting that way if everyone could see who voted.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've been in the US Army for nearly 19 years and this is something that will never happen in America. Military members take an oath to uphold the constitution and we are only bound to follow "LEGAL ORDERS". This would adhere to neither of those so I'm sure the order would be followed by alot of laughter:laugh:

Thank You, for your service !!!!! :patriot: :yesway:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They did it in Nawlins after Katrina...

They did a very partial version of it during Katrina, the majority of which where abandoned houses. Unless you believe there were less than 1200 guns in all of New Orleans.

Regardless, not particularly relevant to a nationwide house to house of occupied homes looking for 300 million-ish guns.

Top Bottom