• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    What is your preferred choice for back-up carry? (snubby? subcompact? compact? full-size even?)

What is your preferred method for carrying that second pistol relative to your EDC? (ankle carry? 6 o'clock? shoulder?)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Taurus 85 ultralite in .38, carried in the maxpedition. I always have it. I usually also carry a Glock 26 in a Serpa. I don't always carry the 26. So the Taurus is both a primary and a BUG.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    What is your preferred choice for back-up carry? (snubby? subcompact? compact? full-size even?)

What is your preferred method for carrying that second pistol relative to your EDC? (ankle carry? 6 o'clock? shoulder?)
    The absolute ideal backup to your carry pistol, is a duplicate. If I carry a backup (which I admit isn't 100% of the time), it's another full size M&P9. One strong-side, and the other AIWB (which is accessible with either hand if need be).

I have carried a snubby as BUG, but I SUCK with it. I have trained, practiced, and competed with my M&P's, and they are by far what I am most proficient with.

The alternative "ideal" to a clone of your carry gun would be the compact or sub-compact version. i.e. a M&P9c to my M&P9, or a G-26 to a G-19/G-17. Compatibility of ammo and mags is a huge plus!

Whatever you choose to carry as a BUG, make sure it's something you train and practice with, and would trust your life to should it become your only choice for self defense.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I'm in the same boat as 88GT. My BUG is sometimes my primary. I work 50 hours a week and have to pick my girls up from daycare sometimes. This makes it difficult to carry my full size pistol (Beretta 92fs) on a regular basis. My BUG is a Sig P238. I am very happy with how accurate and reliable it is so far. When it is acting as my bug I put it on my weak side IWB opposite my OWB primary.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Snubby on the ankle. Its easy to get to while seated and driving, while anything in your pocket or on your belt is going to be tougher to get to.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mine is a bit odd right now.My primary is a 1911 and my BUG is a Taurus poly protector.The odd part is due to my current equipment.I have a KingTuk for the 1911 which puts it IWB and a (pretty nice) OWB leather holster for the Taurus.I intend to get an ankle holster or find an IWB for the protector.

Does anyone know if the KingTuk can be heated up and re-molded because I found one for a revolver but the trigger guard on the poly protector is just a shade too large(height) to fit.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Does anyone know if the KingTuk can be heated up and re-molded because I found one for a revolver but the trigger guard on the poly protector is just a shade too large(height) to fit.

I've done it, but you need a foam press for Kydex molding at minimum. I re-purposed an MTAC made for a G-30 to fit my M&P.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The absolute ideal backup to your carry pistol, is a duplicate. If I carry a backup (which I admit isn't 100% of the time), it's another full size M&P9. One strong-side, and the other AIWB (which is accessible with either hand if need be).

Indeed!

rhino out!

Top Bottom