• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Can you change the caliber once you get your form back. Like having a 556 10" barrel and a 8" 300blk and just swap them out?

If you are talking about guns like the AR, then yes. Basically, as long as you can readily put the gun back into the barrel length and caliber it has on the form, you can pretty much do whatever you want with different uppers.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    If you are talking about guns like the AR, then yes. Basically, as long as you can readily put the gun back into the barrel length and caliber it has on the form, you can pretty much do whatever you want with different uppers.

What if you want to change it on a more permanent level? Lets say you manufactured at a 7.5" barrel length and you want to keep it at 10.5".... any process one has to follow

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    What if you want to change it on a more permanent level? Lets say you manufactured at a 7.5" barrel length and you want to keep it at 10.5".... any process one has to follow

The ATF requests that you send them notification of the change in writing, so they can update the record. Is it really necessary? Your call.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    That might just be for permanent changes. An upper swap is considered a temporary change.

so long as you still have the original parts and can "readily change" (or whatever the exact wording is...) back to the configuration on the paperwork it's considered temporary. if you no longer have the parts from the original configuration or it takes a lot of gunsmithing to re-configure, I think then it's considered permanent.

-rvb

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That might just be for permanent changes. An upper swap is considered a temporary change.

That is correct. For example, my M16 lower is on file as 5.56 with a 10.5" barrel. However, I have several different uppers of varying lengths and calibers that I use. As long as I can readily return it to the on file configuration, I'm fine.

Now, if I get rid of my 10.5" 5.56 upper entirely, and a 7.5" .300 BLK upper replaces it, I should (theoretically) update the ATF.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    The ATF requests that you send them notification of the change in writing, so they can update the record.

Exactly, the ATF requests it. Nowhere does it say that you are required to notify the ATF of a permanent change or be able to convert it back to the original configuration. My 7.5" 5.56 is now a 10.5" 5.56.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    so long as you still have the original parts and can "readily change" (or whatever the exact wording is...) back to the configuration on the paperwork it's considered temporary. if you no longer have the parts from the original configuration or it takes a lot of gunsmithing to re-configure, I think then it's considered permanent.

-rvb

You're probably right about that, makes sense in an ATF kind of way. Good thing my uppers keep multiplying, I'm pretty sure I still have the original SBR upper in the correct configuration too.

Bearclaw

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Anderson

Yep that's exactly what I was talking about. Thanks

DocJekyll

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    T.H.
    No regrets here, wish I had done it sooner. Great thing about an AR SBR is that it's easy to change uppers which essentially gives you multiple rifles with one SBR lower.

Also, for 300 BLK, there's no reason not to go super short. My 8.2" w/suppressor is shorter than my 16" 5.56 upper. Around 9" is the sweet spot for 300 BLK. Longer than 10.5, it's probably better to do 5.56 since you loose much of the benefits of 300 BLK at a higher ammo cost.

As I was reading this I was thinking "My AR in 300blk is shorter than my entire 14.5 5.56 upper!" :alright::alright::alright::chest:

15z08c4.jpg

In all seriousness to OP's question though, I don't regret going SBR. I do have a couple little problems I'm troubleshooting with my build, but otherwise I really like it.

Top Bottom