• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    My son has been going out back with me to our range a lot more often. Usually he uses the earmuff style that covers your ears completely. Problem is its been really hot here even in the evening, which makes it kind of uncomfortable to use the over the ear hearing protection. Can someone suggest a good alternative?

Thanks

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    My recommendation is if the over the head deal isn't working, go to an audiologist and purchasing a custom pair of ear plugs(about $60 + appointment fee).

If you are against that then the store bought ear plugs are the last option. The higher the number on the box, the more protection you have. Make sure the end of the plug is flush with the end of the canal, if not you might as well not be wearing them. But needless to say none of the plugs on the market or in a store will completely reduce any damage.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    My recommendation is if the over the head deal isn't working, go to an audiologist and purchasing a custom pair of ear plugs(about $60 + appointment fee).

If you are against that then the store bought ear plugs are the last option. The higher the number on the box, the more protection you have. Make sure the end of the plug is flush with the end of the canal, if not you might as well not be wearing them. But needless to say none of the plugs on the market or in a store will completely reduce any damage.

Hearing is precious so money would not be an issue. Its for my son and I would rather make sure has the right equipment.

We have a lot of fun shooting together he is starting to enjoy shooting other things than his 22.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've been using cheap foam ear plugs or cheap peltor ear muffs for more years than I can remember. Hearing has stayed constant for 30 years. In fact my wife says I hear too good.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    If hearing is a priority, then I recommend doubling up. You can use in-ear plugs (foam, fitted, EPs, whatever) plus the headset type. Make the headsets electronic and it can help to cut down noise, but still amplify smaller sounds like speech so that you can still hear instruction/conversation.

Sorry, don't know of any headsets that are cool. The seal required over the ears makes them hold in the air.

If you use foam earplugs, they can be very effective, but many don't know how to use them properly. The following video is well worth the time to save your hearing.
    [video=youtube_share;8vHP8K3BsrA]http://youtu.be/8vHP8K3BsrA[/video]

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    When I'm just shooting with a couple people I always just use the cheap foam ear plugs from work. I've been using them for years and my hearing hasn't become any worse.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    If hearing is a priority, then I recommend doubling up. You can use in-ear plugs (foam, fitted, EPs, whatever) plus the headset type. Make the headsets electronic and it can help to cut down noise, but still amplify smaller sounds like speech so that you can still hear instruction/conversation.

Sorry, don't know of any headsets that are cool. The seal required over the ears makes them hold in the air.

If you use foam earplugs, they can be very effective, but many don't know how to use them properly. The following video is well worth the time to save your hearing.
    [video=youtube_share;8vHP8K3BsrA]http://youtu.be/8vHP8K3BsrA[/video]

He doesn't mind the head set style its just a bit warm when it hits 100 degrees.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    If it's just the two of you shooting, take a break once in a while, take them off, dry your ears, then resume. That will keep the neighbors wondering if you are done or not.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    I have a couple pairs of the fitted models, being a Trap&Skeet guy they seem to fit the bill nicely. If the big bore rifles come out just slip my muffs over them getting double protection.

Top Bottom