• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I've never heard it called "closed carry", just "concealed carry". Learn something new every day.

I OC sometimes, just depends on my mood, or if I'm wearing a lot of clothes, or if I just feel like switching it up.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Never done OC and I don't think I ever will. I can see it (OC) being useful in a hunting type environment or in a STHF (post Katrina) where you may need to pull the weapon fast without anything getting in the way or where you want to show you are armed and ready to use force.

Otherwise day-to-day use for me it's tactically more advantages to have it conceled and only pull it out if need be thus having the element of suprise. Plus brings too much attention up in NWI walking into a store OC.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Are there any times/places you choose to open carry instead? Why?

Sure.

I deliberately carry "on display" to the little country store every one in our neighborhood uses. I want every dope head and thief who might be living close to me when he "needs a little gas money" to think every one else in the area is a safer bet when he decides to do a little midnight shopping. I shoot about every day at home, day and night. Every one knows I have guns from hearing me shoot so it's no secret or tactial advantage to be gained by concealed carry. So I'd just as soon they figure there's no safe time day or night, trip to the grocery or mowing the grass when they can depend on figure on catching me unarmed. "May be THEY have guns or maybe they don't, but I know that nut case who lives here has guns and is not afraid to shoot them. Day and night all week long I have to listen to that bang bang bang and hear that steel ring, ding ding ding."

I also carry on my hip when I carry hiking, hunting, or just doing chores around the house. It's a lot quicker to just draw and pop a beaver or a ground hog from the back of the tractor if you are not trying to dig a gun out from under a coat or out of some cover alls.

When I go to the little store and bump in to people I don't know and they look at my hip and then they look at me and say, "You are that guy over on --- road that shoots all the time right?" Then I know it's working.

Last edited:

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I usually OC to and from the range even if I have to stop and get some ammo or whatever. Kinda bepends if Im in the mood to deal with and or educate people on Indianas carry laws. Although when Im with the family I always CC makes them and me more confurtable :draw:

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    OC in Fishers and Noblesville quite often, and always OC when out for a run or bike ride. I have never had a problem, have had police ask what I carry and how the holster works while running. I figure it's good for the public to see, whether you're in Lowes, Starbucks, or church. It may not be for everyone, but sure works for me.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I always conceal carry when out and about. When I carry the Glock 22 instead of my SA 1911 though... it is almost like open carrying :-) It is a pretty pronounced bulge... and no comments from youse wiseguys.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I open carry at work after hours, at the range, and sometimes around the house when I get back from work.

I conceal carry at all times.

I do a loose conceal carry often around town. That is a glock in a OWB speed scabbard holster with a loose jacket or vest draped over it. This gives me the best of both worlds - easy access and less likely to get flak.

Some day I will move up to open carry during the day if I feel like it, but not today.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I open carry at the range. Too many stupid people at times. It also gives me a chance to educate people with Illinois plates what freedom is like:). I open carry at open carry functions. Those are fun.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    While I completely agree with folks exercising their rights I think that considering the sheeple that make up the bulk of our culture nowdays open carry is just going to cause problems for everybody. I carry concealed every day everywhere and the sheeple are clueless. Carrying open pretty much guarantees you will get to have interesting interactions with the kind of cops who are your worst nightmare. Some cops are on our side but there are a large number who don't think anyone but them should be carrying a weapon. So if you like being introduced to Mr. Asphalt and Mr. Handcuffs knock yourself out. I'd rather stay in the background until the SHTF.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    While I completely agree with folks exercising their rights I think that considering the sheeple that make up the bulk of our culture nowdays open carry is just going to cause problems for everybody. I carry concealed every day everywhere and the sheeple are clueless. Carrying open pretty much guarantees you will get to have interesting interactions with the kind of cops who are your worst nightmare. Some cops are on our side but there are a large number who don't think anyone but them should be carrying a weapon. So if you like being introduced to Mr. Asphalt and Mr. Handcuffs knock yourself out. I'd rather stay in the background until the SHTF.

Glad to have another Bloomington person here in INGO, and especially another one armed here in my town.

Some of those on the open carry front do so here in Bloomington! I am not one of those, but I have been offering to take one of them to lunch just to see him open carry on kirkwood. Rhino and others have done it all over the place and swear that they have not been hassled or arrested. I am not "there" yet for both tactical (that is another debate that has raged on and on) and sheeple reasons. But I am not that far from it either.

:cool:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Techres, I would love to watch someone carry openly on Kirkwood, even though I think it would probably end badly. I have lived in other college towns and open carry is something they just can't seem to get their head around. I had a conversation with the dean of IU once about licensed CCW on campus and he assured me I would end up in handcuffs. Whatever. Are you a Bloomington native?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    OC in Fishers and Noblesville quite often, and always OC when out for a run or bike ride. I have never had a problem, have had police ask what I carry and how the holster works while running. I figure it's good for the public to see, whether you're in Lowes, Starbucks, or church. It may not be for everyone, but sure works for me.

I OC in Noblesville from time to time but have never been approached. I've heard stories about Noblesville LEOs being a little too jumpy about OC. Good to hear you've not had any negative experiences.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

I, nor many other people who have OC'd here have been "introduced to Mr. Asphalt and Mr. Handcuffs" :rolleyes:

Glad to have another Bloomington person here in INGO, and especially another one armed here in my town.

Some of those on the open carry front do so here in Bloomington! I am not one of those, but I have been offering to take one of them to lunch just to see him open carry on kirkwood. Rhino and others have done it all over the place and swear that they have not been hassled or arrested. I am not "there" yet for both tactical (that is another debate that has raged on and on) and sheeple reasons. But I am not that far from it either.

:cool:

Techres, I would love to watch someone carry openly on Kirkwood, even though I think it would probably end badly. I have lived in other college towns and open carry is something they just can't seem to get their head around. I had a conversation with the dean of IU once about licensed CCW on campus and he assured me I would end up in handcuffs. Whatever. Are you a Bloomington native?

I've OC'd on Kirkwood before. No problems at all. Police were there, simple head nod and a smile, and not a word was said by anyone. How would CC on campus get you in handcuffs, no law would be broken?

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I too am a Bloomingtonian (kinda) and I have and do OC and CC from time to time and I find that the reaction you get is all about your own attitude.

Like Nate said a smile and a head nod, no problem. But I am willing to bet you go OC'ing around San Fransisco, Indiana with a chip on your shoulder, you might have a problem or at least a gayfrontation.

When I OC I have never had an issue around Bloomington or Bedford.

I think YOU should do whatever YOU are comfortable with!

Top Bottom