For those who have beat the nicotine monster...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    When I decide I'm ready to quit, I'm going to use Chantix.

I know people who have smoked for longer than I have been alive and within a few weeks, the smell of a lit ciggy repulses them.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Stride gum has been my best friend for the last two days lol. I'm determined to do this for my health, my voice, and my girl. Just sucks cause I quit years ago and did really good for almost 3 years until a good friend of mine passed away and I fell apart.

I've heard wierd and wicked stuff about chantix (vivid nightmares and rage attacks) so I opted out of that one (my work offers it for some rediculous discount on a stop smoking program). Be careful with chantix

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm 7 or 8 days cold turkey. Just keep yourself busy. It's all mind over matter.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I quit using a homeopathic I bought at the local health food store. Little pills that disolve on your tongue. They contained a liitle nicotine. Took one with each craving. They seemed to help. Made me HATE the smell of smoke.

Don't give up. There is nothing better that you can do for yourself.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    In my experience I found that the need for the cig. would last for about as long as it took to smoke one. I would beat that one and everything would be ok for awhile. Then would go through the same process again. So I knew if I could resist the current craving, it would go away for awhile. Over the next few days, the craving began to lessen. Finally the craving would be down to whenever I would, say finish a meal, etc. Anytime I would light up in the past that was enjoyable. Took about 4 months but finally the craving to light up was completely gone. My body did a 180 in that the smell of a lit cig. was very offensive. After that, easy street....... All this took place 35 years ago. So hang in there and remember, your quiting for you alone and no one else or it will not work.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i "quit" 2 years ago.
    I've had, probably, a dozen cigarettes since then. In my experience, its like any other addiction, you're never really "cured." I'm just a smoker who doesn't light one up as often as I used to (on average, one every two months instead of a pack a day).
    Chantix worked for me, but you don't start it after quitting.

Good Luck,
    Doug

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I'm not trying to be a jerk, this is serious: Man up and harden up. Those cravings will reduce over time but on ocassion they are going to come back and hit you hard. I am at the fourteen month mark and some days I still clench my fists and grit my teeth.

Some things that helped me:

-Disassociate yourself from what you did when you smoked as much as possible. If you liked to smoke out on the back porch then don't go there. If you smoked while you watched T.V. then go do something else, preferrably something that it is impossible to do while smoking, like swimming.

-My wife helped me by coming up with a list of little rewards, nothing big but just things to look forward to when the cravings hit. Reward yourself once a day for a week, every other day for another week. Then twce a week for a month, once a week for a month, then once a month for a year. It sounds dumb but having something else to focus on can really help fight the crave.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    I quit two years ago May, actually. I said, at the end of this carton, i'm going to stop. And I actually did lol. Had my last cigarette on the ride home from work. I remember, because it broke lol. I went to grab the butt and pull it out and all that came out was the butt. I had to ghetto rig it back together. I quit because I was getting serious with a girl who didn't like it. Made it WAS easier to quit and stay quit, since I married her and she'd kill me if I picked it back up :)

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I quit smoking about 20 yrs ago & really just have to ride out the cravings.After about a week it will get better but I also had to distance myself from other people that smoked.Find a alternative that will keep you busy for the short cravings like trim the hedges ,chew gum or general little things that need done around the house that arent stressfull.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Like they said here the first step is you need to get it in your head that you do want to quit! I smoked a pack to a pack and 1/2 a day for 25 years. One way I was working on and it seemed to work was:
    Example:
    1 week smoke 1 cigarette every 20 minutes
    1 week smoke 1 cigarette every 30 minutes
    1 week smoke 1 cigarette every 45 minutes
    1 week smoke 1 cigarette every 60 minutes
    This was working for me till I came down with double pnemonia and could barely breathe for 2 weeks and I figured since I did not smoke for 2 weeks that I could do without them and have not touched a cigarette now for 15 years!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I tried Chantix and it made me quit drinking. I wonder if they gave me the wrong script?
    Seriously, I didn't have the bad dreams and things people mention, but those pills made me an A-Hole x 10. I wasn't easy to live with. It did help curb the urge, but in the end, it failed. I always said I would never change anything about my life if I could, but I would have never started smoking 25 years ago.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I used tobacco in one form or another regularly for 54 yrs. After my first heart attack my cardio guy strongly suggested I quit, Haven't smoked or dipped in 12 years but I sometimed dream about it. It is truly an ingrained habit.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Like the saying goes, "Quitin smokeing is easy, I've done it a thousand times". When you get really serious about quiting and your really desperate for help like I was back in 1974, send me a PM or email and I'll tell you how I quit and never looked back.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Quitting was easy for some and not so much for others. I only gave it up 6 months ago. I went cold trukey. No meds at all. I encourage you to stay cold turkey. In the long run you will appreciate it and get your reward through a healthier life. I quit because I had bronchitis and I could barely breath. I wanted to breath so I told myself I would never smoke antoher cig as long as I lived. Oh I still have my cravings at some point every single day but they dont last very long. In time your cravings will be few and far in between as well. Hang in there, YOU CAN DO IT. You have to really want to quit my freind, and if so you will make it happen.
    If you need assistance you can use the lozenges. I hear they work very well. Whatever over the counter item you choose try only half of the dose and it will help you a lot easier. Good luck and you CAN do this.:yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom