• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Today I had my annual eye doctor exam, and I came back with some knowledge. My eye doctor, when looking inside of my eyes, said that I have a couple of small scars on the inside of my eyes that I didn't have before. They are outside of range to affect my vision, but are visible when he uses his scope. Since the only thing that I've changed in my habits since me last appointment was that I started shooting, we theorized that I could be catching small fragments of something while shooting. Yes, it could be something else, but this is a plausible explanation.

I always wear glasses (blind as a bat without them), but the area of the lenses is much smaller than you would see in typical non-prescription shooting glasses you would find at a gun store. Our thought is that since my glasses aren't designed to protect against debris, some things could very easily get in around them.

This is an eye-opener (sorry, pun intended) for me. I always thought that I didn't need to wear special glasses since I had my regular glasses on. I'm going to be looking for a pair of shooting goggles I can put on over my glasses, and I would suggest anyone else who wears glasses do the same. Luckily this hasn't affected my eyesight, but it very easily could.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Very lucky you caught it early. I've done a myriad of different jobs that required different types of safety glasses, side-shields, full-face masks, even respirators.

Do NOT take any chances when it comes to your eyes.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Today I had my annual eye doctor exam, and I came back with some knowledge. My eye doctor, when looking inside of my eyes, said that I have a couple of small scars on the inside of my eyes that I didn't have before. They are outside of range to affect my vision, but are visible when he uses his scope. Since the only thing that I've changed in my habits since me last appointment was that I started shooting, we theorized that I could be catching small fragments of something while shooting. Yes, it could be something else, but this is a plausible explanation.

I always wear glasses (blind as a bat without them), but the area of the lenses is much smaller than you would see in typical non-prescription shooting glasses you would find at a gun store. Our thought is that since my glasses aren't designed to protect against debris, some things could very easily get in around them.

This is an eye-opener (sorry, pun intended) for me. I always thought that I didn't need to wear special glasses since I had my regular glasses on. I'm going to be looking for a pair of shooting goggles I can put on over my glasses, and I would suggest anyone else who wears glasses do the same. Luckily this hasn't affected my eyesight, but it very easily could.
    My recent glasses have lenses a little bit bigger than my last pair...just for this concern.
    Thanks for posting about it.

Gaudard

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Terre Haute
    It is possible to get prescription shooting glasses as well, of course they're quite a bit more expensive but how much is your eye sight worth?

jrich2125

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Atlanta, IN
    Have to agree. All through the years everyone says you only have two. If you lose them you are done. I am as guilty as anyone not wearing safety glasses while working or shooting, but I know better. If they could just make a pair that were comfortable.

nighthawk80

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Trafalger
    Thats why I sometimes wear my contact lenses and then put my larger form fitting glasses on. They are more protective of my eyes. I don't do it as much now because it can dry out my eyes though.

jpo117

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Before I started shooting I read an account (might have been on here--sorry if I'm screwing up your story!) of a guy who was shooting with some other people. He was wearing his prescription glasses which didn't wrap around. It just so happened that the brass from one of his neighbors flew at his face from the side, landing inside his glasses and scratching the crap out of his eye. I usually wear contacts, but when I wear glasses while shooting I'll be sure to wear something over them to protect me from the side.

SamW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    W. Lafayette
    There are lots of options for prescription shooting glasses. None cheap, but most are good. There is a LOT of information over on trapshooters.com, since it tends to cater to a slightly older crowd.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    You can get anything Oakley with prescription lenses. I would recommend some M Frames if you just plan to use them for shooting. The whole lens isn't prescription, just a normal eyeglass size portion in the middle, but you still get the full protectoin.

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Protecting our eyes.

I really doubt that anything bigger than micro-micro-scopic could get INTO your eyeball without giving you a lot of pain. But the aging-process may cause deterioration in anyone's eyes, and can start at nearly any area of the retina. The shock, not the blast, could also cause a tearing or rupturing in the retina, but nothing smaller than a shoulder-fired .50BMG-type round would be suspect of tossing particles into your eyes. You would've felt your shoulders being dislocated by such a blast. Exposure to some pesticides can accelerate retina-degradation, as in AgentOrange. One name for it is 2-4-D, and is still sold over the counter for weed control. Normal usage is safe. Of course when a guy lives in and breathes the spray, and even uses the liquid to water-proof his boots poncho and tent for several months, there can be problems, which weren't admitted to for over 40 years. I'm having strokes in the eyes, leaving large fuzzy spots, and while laser-surgery has helped immensely and diminished the spots to very small ones, I still have had to equip my carry-guns and long guns with ghost-ring sights and laser-optics. I just aim to place the target and fuzzy spot inside the ghost-ring, illuminate that with the laser, and bingo. Works for me. Full-coverage-protection is the only 100% sure way to prevent eyeball damage. But internal deterioration is another story. Take care; it is not just our eyes that we are protecting -- it is our very lives. Pat.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Take a look at those Rec-Specs, I think they are called. I believe that the lovely Wal-Mart sells them, but I'm sure you can get them elsewhere. They are like perscription goggles, or close fitting glasses. Thanks for the info though, good to be aware of.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The free pairs of shooting glasses that CDNN was always giving away free fit over my glasses pretty well.

That said, I almost always have contacts in while shooting or doing most out of the house activities. -Soon to be remedied by Lasik... it sucks wearing glasses non stop while waiting for my apt, lol.

If you wear regular glasses while shooting, be sure to wear a brimmed ball cap so you can protect the top. The sides are a much less likely area for brass to enter, top down is a great concern. That said, do you want to be the small chance of someone who has mad hot brass lodge between your glasses and eyeball/eyelid?

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Well, I just ordered two pairs of these.

icons.php

It's the UVEX Ambient OTG. Two pairs, shipped, cost me around $27. From the picture, they look like they will do the job. Prometheus, I'll take that advice and wear a ball cap as well. You just can't be too careful.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Well, I just ordered two pairs of these.

icons.php

It's the UVEX Ambient OTG. Two pairs, shipped, cost me around $27. From the picture, they look like they will do the job. Prometheus, I'll take that advice and wear a ball cap as well. You just can't be too careful.

Thank you sir and repped! My aging eyes don't need an expensive prescription, but I've had a hard time finding simple magnifying safety glasses (not bifocals). This site has them at a very good price. Now I won't have to wear my cumbersome reading glasses and safety over-glasses combo at the range.
    :rockwoot:

And yes- a baseball cap is a recommended safety item at the range.

nahfuten

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Zionsville
    I never used to wear safety glasses over my prescription glasses until some .45 brass hit and scratched my prescription glasses.....

If the safety factor doesn't scare you, maybe the idea of putting down $250 at the eye doctor for new lenses will.

JUMBO

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Indianapolis

Have you been checked for diabetes??? My wife went for her annual eye appt early this year and the opthalmologist noticed scarring onher eyes, they checked her blood sugar and her glucose levels were way above normal. A visit to her physician verified that in fact, she was diabetic. Of course it could be many other things that could have caused this but if You went to just a optomotrist IE; eyeglass world, lenscrafters etc... all they really do is give a quick looksey into the eyeball and they are not able to determine exactly what the cause may be. I would go and be seen by someone who can give you an idea of whats going on. Just want ya to explore other avenues as what You theorized is indeed plausible, however, one must look deeper into this as that vision of Yours is mighty important!

Regards,

Jumbo

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The ESS Ice is available with an insert to hold a set of prescription lenses behind the wrap around safety lenses. I've had my lens insert made special for shooting with no reading lens/ mid vision lens on lower 1/2 and distance lens on top half. When shooting pistol, I just push the whole set up and the front sight is always in focus. If shooting trap, let them ride down on the nose a little and all I see is the distance lens. As you can see, I wear tri-focals. I know others who have the "pistol lens" on top. You can do whatever works for your situation. The ESS line is Mil-Spec as well as ANSI spec. Wrap-around is very tight with great side protection. Wpuldn't go shootng without these.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    The ESS Ice is available with an insert to hold a set of prescription lenses behind the wrap around safety lenses. I've had my lens insert made special for shooting with no reading lens/ mid vision lens on lower 1/2 and distance lens on top half. When shooting pistol, I just push the whole set up and the front sight is always in focus. If shooting trap, let them ride down on the nose a little and all I see is the distance lens. As you can see, I wear tri-focals. I know others who have the "pistol lens" on top. You can do whatever works for your situation. The ESS line is Mil-Spec as well as ANSI spec. Wrap-around is very tight with great side protection. Wpuldn't go shootng without these.

This is another a good option and standard issue for us. But most of the guys opt to spend their own money on prescription Oakleys, and we don't get paid enough to waste money on things that aren't necessary. Most of them justify it though.:twocents:

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    I can see where a "pro" would want the custom ground lenses like the Oakley. If you have to wear them all day long, I agree the custom ground set is the way to go. The ESS would be less expensive for the "hobby" shooter and is cheaper to up-grade if your eyesight changes. I'm on my second set of lens inserts. No, I wouldn't want to go into combat with them but they work fine for an afternoon at the range.
    Thanks for your service Indecisiion and God Bless and protect all of those who are or have served. Be safe.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    Exposure to some pesticides can accelerate retina-degradation, as in AgentOrange. One name for it is 2-4-D, and is still sold over the counter for weed control. Normal usage is safe. Of course when a guy lives in and breathes the spray, and even uses the liquid to water-proof his boots poncho and tent for several months, there can be problems, which weren't admitted to for over 40 years.

I believe Agent Orange is/was 2-4-T not (D)

Top Bottom