• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Interesting situation to be in for sure but I will play the game as you framed it.

My items of choice would be:
    USGI Sleeping Bag
    Space Blanket
    Headlamp
    Canteen
    Penflare with 6 flares

My reason of these choices is that freezing to death is far more my concern then starving so I have the ability to layer more with the sleeping bag. Also, the space blanket gives and extra protection layer from the snow as well as a great signaling device if the sun comes out. The headlamp will be handy in a few hours when it is dark for both sight and signalling as I am guessing it is very dark in rural Greenland:D The canteen is obvious for water gathering as dehydration is a possibility far sooner then starving and could be a moral booster as well. Finally, the pen flares are obviously great for signalling whether day or night and could get attention from a long distance which would be very nice in a cold open area.

Obviously, I would rather have better selection of supplies and most would but I can read and follow simple directions so these would have to be my choices although it is not extremely easy. If I were in an area that had trees or some kind of kindling I would have obviously made different choices but Greenland and an uninhabited island in the pacific would both be difficult to figure out a "good" plan of survival.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I wish to publicly apologize to WETSU for screwing with his thought problem.

Yeah, okay, I know I blew the "theoretical" and "critical thinking" portion of the problem - and it's certainly a good problem. But I would think that, besides being educated in the means and techniques of survival, a primary concept would be to either - as other aviators have noted - not getting yourself into the situation in the first place (not always possible) or, if you HAVE to be in a potentially perilous situation, planning for as many eventualities as possible. Since for aviation, a forced landing is ALWAYS possible, it's incumbent on the planner to ensure that the appropriate means for survival are available. For any aviator who has ever been in a survival situation, that means keeping the basic needs for survival either fastened to your person (the reason why military aviators wear survival vests) or having it AT HAND while you're evacuating the aircraft. Because if you leave any survival equipment behind, you likely will not get a chance to go back for it.

The same argument can be made for everyday life, whether you have the "10 essentials" in your car, on your person, or in your luggage. Plan for emergencies. Equip yourself as well as possible under every circumstance.

Cool, so what 5 items are you grabbing?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah, as the pilots on this board have pointed out, you would of course have gear on you and a bail out bag close by. Any bush pilot worth his salt would do that plus some.

But this scenario is simply a delivery vehicle for the exercise. The stupidity of the situation because all of us would be better than this in planning, is what forces us into a fairly narrow set of parameters, to make hard choices and prioritize those choices based on our mindset and skill level. Period.

Its hard to set these up and post them on a "survival forum" because so many guys ARE squared away and would NOT fall into such a pickle. And then there "those guys" who of course want to impress us with how squared away they are rather than grind through the mental gymnastics of the exercise itself.

Keep at it and have fun!

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Any pilot flying a small single engine piston airplane over that terrain, in that area, in that weather, is an epic dumbass.

I've never been to Greenland but when I lived in Alaska we flew all over the place and it took much worse than low clouds, light snow, and 20 knot winds to keep us on the ground. The DHC-3 I had a share in was turbopropped, but I spent time in pleny of radials and flats.

Not exactly a pro-safety choice, but wanting to go chase bears/caribou/otter/sheep/fish trumps having to fly into IMC.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I'd submit that there is a HUGE difference between using a small SE plane as essential transportation in a place like Alaska, and bebopping around the North Atlantic in the middle of winter in such a plane.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    ^^^^^^^
    Now that right there is some funny stuff, unless of course you think it is sad, which is also true but we all need to keep our minds, yes?

Top Bottom