• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would disagree.

I've got 4 vehicles with built in Nav systems (2 VWs + 2 Audis). All 4 are vastly superior to my Garmin. And quite honestly all 3 are superior to every phone-based system I've used.

The best of them have dual screens, one in the center dash and another in front of the driver, which stand alone and phone systems. The best of them show multiple roads at intersections to make sure you turn at the correct point. The best of them show complete roundabouts with correct directions. They mute the radio during instructions, which stand alone and phone systems cannot do. 2 of mine update the maps automatically via satellite links.

Its impossible for a phone system or a stand alone Garmin to do what the better built in Nav Systems can do.

A marginal/average built in Nav System is no better/worse than a stand alone/phone system on most things.

A bad Nav System is miserable.

For this trip we were using both iPhone and Ford systems.

Best of both worlds are the systems that let the phone cast to the screen in the vehicle. Until the embedded systems in vehicles start allowing themselves to be easily updated using wifi/cell service (some are) and I'm not talking map updating but complete system updating and being backended by cloud services, and start using some standards based APIs, etc the experience will be varied and not good. I believe some are starting to do these things, and some aftermarket units are doing this as well, so we will see.

Actually, if I use the Google maps app and leave it bluetooth connected, it will mute my radio to announce things (if I let it).

Agreed, works nicely from my phone to the aftermarket Kenwood headunit I have. Mine doesn't cast to the screen, but it definitely reduces the sound of the other bluetooth connected audio sources in favor of the maps voice direction.

One thing my Garmin has that my iPhone does not: the Garmin works even when there is no cell service. There are plenty of spots right here in Indiana that my cell map app is completely worthless.

As others have stated downloaded maps on the device are handy for this.

The thing I personally hate about my Garmin is the lookup feature is slow and really only works well with actual addresses, and the touch screen on mine can be difficult to input. Admittedly mine is an older device, and these things may have gotten better with more memory and quality screens coming down in price.
    Garmin should basically sell a screen, and an app and let you just cast to the mounted screen, until the OEMs all integrate casting technology (preferably something not as proprietary as carplay, etc however that is a bad example, to use the work Apple and not as proprietary in the same sentence.)

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Heck. Made it across the lower 48 several times in a semi using one of these....
    truckers-atlas-large-scale-versus-deluxe-comparison-dsc06492.jpg

I made a few wrong turns but always found where I needed to go.

If I need the newer technology, Google maps suffices.

I drove 2,000,000 Miles+ before the GPS was invented. Amazing I'm not wandering around Lost........

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I don't have much sat nav experience, but I rented a Chrysler 300C when I was in Los Angeles last fall. The built-in nav on that thing was spectacular. It was dead-nuts accurate. One thing I really appreciated (not knowing L.A.) was that it told me early what lane i would have to be in for the next exit or turn and displayed a graphic that made it unmistakable. In fact, the whole car impressed me...which surprised me.

I rented a different care with a stand-alone system my second trip to L.A. last year and it sucked. Same on the Ford Fusion I rented in Rochester N.Y., but luckily Rochester isn't too difficult to get around.

And this is one of my points ... when a built in Sat Nav is really good it is spectacular.

FORD, on the other hand, apparently offers the opposite end of the spectrum. I think it might be the rectum of the Sat Nav systems.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom