• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Careful, that comparison might not turn out the way you think :)

Good post, but I want to see the numbers in tons of carbon dioxide equivalent -- tCO2e -- and USD. "Electricity heat" is too loosely defined of a category. And is "Industry" a rolled up number including business and their supply chain use of aviation fuel, road transport/diesel, electricity for facilities, etc?

The more granular the reporting, the easier it will be to institute Miguelism... :laugh:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was looking for a more granular statistic I came across a couple of years ago, to whit, that commercial aviation (which includes private aviation) at that time was 0.9% of total oil consumption (a subset of fossil fuel). It was in a technical journal and I can't find it so far via google (still looking) but I was so floored by it (I thought it would be much more) that I cross-checked it vigorously at the time. We see those contrails and visualize fuel just being poured into those burners and being ignited and we think it must be a huge part of the overall picture

It is a not insignificant amount of fuel, though. There are something over 4000 commercial airline flights per day in the US with the most efficient mainline medium aircraft burning 5400-5600lbs per hour (around 810 to 840 gals per hour) and the smaller commuters burning 2200-4200 lbs per hour (330 - 630 gal/hr) so you're talking at best about 2.5 million gallons per day. The overseas stuff burns 14000 to 26000 lbs/hr (2100 to 3900 gal/hr)

The takeaway is that the sum total of the burn in individual vehicles (automobiles, trucks etc) is just astronomical, and small improvements there can have big payoff in decreasing oil use/ CO2. Because fuel is such a large part of the cost of delivering air transport, the operators are very invested in improvements which is why any new fleet type that offers a significant improvement in fuel burn is adopted quite quickly. Similar sized aircraft from only 20 years ago burned between 8200lbs/1230gal per hour and 10700lbs/1605gal per hour

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    9rOzOMG.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    uidUtiY.jpg

Bloomberg is now leading an effort by prominent Democrat states to independently follow the Paris accords. I guess he is going to encourage them to raise taxes on energy and send money to other countries and UN agencies. That should provide additional incentives for migrations out of those states (CA, NY, WA).

I suppose he'll also sell off a few of his large houses and fly only commercial airlines from now on...

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    uidUtiY.jpg

Bloomberg is now leading an effort by prominent Democrat states to independently follow the Paris accords. I guess he is going to encourage them to raise taxes on energy and send money to other countries and UN agencies. That should provide additional incentives for migrations out of those states (CA, NY, WA).

I suppose he'll also sell off a few of his large houses and fly only commercial airlines from now on...

That'll be the day!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Environmentalism: You live in the stone age so limousine liberals can live like kings for way less without you competing in the marketplace for the same resources to which they feel exclusively entitled.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Environmentalism: You live in the stone age so limousine liberals can live like kings for way less without you competing in the marketplace for the same resources to which they feel exclusively entitled.

Well, some people want you to feel bad about the environment, while they don't care.
    Same with money. They tell you how your money is needed, yet they have a hundred times that amount.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I look at what the Paris Accord accomplishes and it seems to me it's a mechanism for elitists to extract money and fealty from normal people.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Responsible use of the earths resources is simply an emotion stirring false flag to conceal the real objectives.

The whole Paris thing is not about the environment, it is about the unproductive demanding free money from the USA, and the enemies of the USA trying to weaken us further. Of course the snowflake democracy in the USA seems to be encouraging the ranks of the unproductive here as well as abroad.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Responsible use of the earths resources is simply an emotion stirring false flag to conceal the real objectives.

The whole Paris thing is not about the environment, it is about the unproductive demanding free money from the USA, and the enemies of the USA trying to weaken us further. Of course the snowflake democracy in the USA seems to be encouraging the ranks of the unproductive here as well as abroad.

:yesway:

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Certainly we ought to take care of our planet and natural resources as best we can. But, it is the height of human arrogance to suggest for a second that mankind can either destroy the climate, or especially save it. I believe strongly that what`s happening currently is simply setting the stage for Bible prophecy to be fulfilled. These "accords" also just happen to avail themselves to the globalists who wish to constrain and control the people.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Certainly we ought to take care of our planet and natural resources as best we can. But, it is the height of human arrogance to suggest for a second that mankind can either destroy the climate, or especially save it. I believe strongly that what`s happening currently is simply setting the stage for Bible prophecy to be fulfilled. These "accords" also just happen to avail themselves to the globalists who wish to constrain and control the people.

:yesway:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Here's a fun chart, as charts go. Appears to be from the same EPA page as the previously included chart: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data

2014_emissions_0.png

Looks like China and some "others" need to do the really heavy lifting here.

Interesting to note Japan having a small number, but I'm assuming it is due to their compact area and the use of public transportation rather than everyone getting in a car several times a day to drive 5 miles to buy milk, pick up or drop off a kid at school, etc.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Because we unleashed all this "progress" on everyone with our cars, electricity, internet, and running water. :laugh:

Sounds about right for the present state of what passes for reason. I would argue that if they don't like it, they can walk, dip water out of a well or surface water, wipe with their left hands, and have life stop when it gets dark.

Top Bottom