Form 1 / Caliber Engraving Question (Anyone Run Into This?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Harley's post here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/class_iii_nfa/150446-thanks_ingo.html

got me thinking. I noticed that in addittion to the normal name, city, state that he did caliber as well (7.62x35 or/aka .300BLK).

Has anyone else done this and does ATF require it if your receiver say is marked 5.56 and you plan to register it as 7.62x35? Were you required to remove the original designation?

It makes perfect sense to do it since the requirements for the "maker/manufacturer" are specific and caliber is one of them. It is just the first time I have seen it.

Expierence anyone? Teach me......

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I seen the post too and wondered the same thing.

The lower I want to SBR is marked "Multi" ... not even sure how that falls into the mix.

Yeah, hypothetically if I had a lower marked that way thats been SBRed.... I would be thinking maybe I should bust out the old electopencil and add a "9mm" somewhere on it just incase.

Also makes you wonder about .223 and 5.56 engraved lowers and how they would related. If the lower is marked .223 but its registered as a 5.56 is that a problem?

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    Everything I have read has said that the caliber does not matter and uppers can be switched regardless of caliber on the form1. However, we all know the ATF makes up their own rules as they please, so I would say go with the "multi" and if the examiner approves it then:rockwoot:

Last edited:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've been doing some reading around on the *internets* and it seems that NFA markings are accepted on both the receiver and the barrel... Meaning, if the barrel is marked by caliber, then it isn't necessary to also mark the receiver... and in my experience most barrels are marked from the factory already.

I'm DEFINITELY not an expert though, and the ATF does seem to make things up as they go along (as previously mentioned). So who knows? :dunno:

Everything I have read say's that the caliber does not matter and uppers can be switched regardless of caliber on the form1. However, we all know the ATF makes up their own rules as they please, so I would say go with the "multi" and if the examiner approves it then:rockwoot:
    I've seen a lot of people claim that the ATF has been denying Form 1's marked "Multi" - Claiming that only a SOT have the ability to do such things.

I know they "used" to let that go for private individuals.... as several had gotten approved previously.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I'm not sure I can really provide a clear explanation as to why I added the caliber, but here goes:
    1- I thought it would add a little bit extra to the sensation of an SBR.
    2- When I talked to ATF on the phone about which caliber to list on the Form 1 (since 5.56 was already marked) the lady said "pick the biggest caliber you're going to use, and then you can put anything smaller on the gun"...:n00b::n00b:
    3- I was then transferred to the "engraving expert" and it was neither confirmed, nor denied, if it was a good idea, or a bad idea to do it. So I went with it.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I think that adding the caliber in the engraving isn't necessary, but also think it isn't a bad idea either.

Now when it comes to what is listed on the form1, we all know that the "multi" designation has been deemed by the ATF as a no-no, but there have been many big name manufacturers that did just that and that seemed just fine with the ATF.:n00b:

I have come to the conclusion that if a person wants to list all calibers they intend to use on the lower on the form1, that is a pretty good idea, but doubt that it is necessary, as long as you can always put the gun back into the configuration that is listed on the form1.

For me, personally, I have found that I dislike swapping calibers and just build dedicated guns. I know it is more expensive that way, but in my experience all the calibers have their own preferences, component wise, that can make them reliable in one platform, not so much in another.

My $:twocents:.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I have come to the conclusion that if a person wants to list all calibers they intend to use on the lower on the form1, that is a pretty good idea, but doubt that it is necessary, as long as you can always put the gun back into the configuration that is listed on the form1.

I have heard they are not allowing multiple calibers listed on the Form 1's anymore either.

I have heard one caliber and one bbl length period.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I have heard they are not allowing multiple calibers listed on the Form 1's anymore either.

I have heard one caliber and one bbl length period.
    Do you think mine will get kicked back since I listed OAL as 24"-28" because of the adjustable stock? I had read about others getting away with that on another forum before.

Top Bottom