• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Has anyone who has applied to make an SBR using a Spike's tactical lower been disapproved for an improper serial number? The number I submitted was just the 5 digits that come after the "SBR Dash". SBR- 12345 is what is stamped on the receiver and I just listed the serial number as 12345 on the form. I assumed that just the numbers were the serial number but now I have to re-file and move back to the end of the line. Just to make sure, I am just looking for anyone who has done this to make sure I am thinking correctly about the serial number. Using the ATF's logic, should I re-list the model as MOD-ST15 rather than just ST15. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

This is what it looks like on the rifle:

SBR- 12345
    CAL- MULTI
    MOD- ST15

*NOTE SBR_ 12345 is a ficticious number.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Has anyone who has applied to make an SBR using a Spike's tactical lower been disapproved for an improper serial number? The number I submitted was just the 5 digits that come after the "SBR Dash". SBR- 12345 is what is stamped on the receiver and I just listed the serial number as 12345 on the form. I assumed that just the numbers were the serial number but now I have to re-file and move back to the end of the line. Just to make sure, I am just looking for anyone who has done this to make sure I am thinking correctly about the serial number. Using the ATF's logic, should I re-list the model as MOD-ST15 rather than just ST15. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

This is what it looks like on the rifle:

SBR- 12345
    CAL- MULTI
    MOD- ST15

*NOTE SBR_ 12345 is a ficticious number.
    they didn't send you a correction letter with the opportunity to correct the mistake? I'd be on the horn or email to someone.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I just used "ST15" as the model number for the one I did. I don't recall there being a dash in my serial number, but it was alphanumeric.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I just dealt with this. Consult the information you were given, but I was told by a gun shop that the letters preceding the stamped number should be included. In my instance, "NSL" was included in part of the forging, followed by a 5 digit number. I only used the numbers, as they looked like the actual s/n. Not so. Go directly to NFA jail, do not pass go, send $200 and try again.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I just dealt with this. Consult the information you were given, but I was told by a gun shop that the letters preceding the stamped number should be included. In my instance, "NSL" was included in part of the forging, followed by a 5 digit number. I only used the numbers, as they looked like the actual s/n. Not so. Go directly to NFA jail, do not pass go, send $200 and try again.

"No Soup for You! Go to the end of the line!" No letter or email was sent offering to let me correct this. ATF said in this notification, that it could not be corrected and that I would have to re-apply. My $200 is on it's way back to my bank already. It will be back in my account within 30 days so I'll have to find another $200 somewhere..........................Eureka! There it is. I just won't pay these bills this month. LMFAO At least I filed for another form 1 SBR a few days later. I wonder what will go wrong with that one. Pray for me. Thanks, guys

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    "No Soup for You! Go to the end of the line!" No letter or email was sent offering to let me correct this. ATF said in this notification, that it could not be corrected and that I would have to re-apply. My $200 is on it's way back to my bank already. It will be back in my account within 30 days so I'll have to find another $200 somewhere..........................Eureka! There it is. I just won't pay these bills this month. LMFAO At least I filed for another form 1 SBR a few days later. I wonder what will go wrong with that one. Pray for me. Thanks, guys

I did some checking on Spike's serial numbers and they have used many different letter prefixes over the years, so I guess this makes sense. I doubt seriously that they have assigned the same numbers with different letter prefixes on more than one firearm. But I guess that they could have.

Romero Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Greenwood
    I also got a "disapproved" on a Spike's SBR on Tuesday. Same thing with the serial number. Resubmitted last night and sent an email to Ted. Fingers crossed. Looks like Spike's needs to fix the way they do their serial numbers so they aren't as confusing.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I also got a "disapproved" on a Spike's SBR on Tuesday. Same thing with the serial number. Resubmitted last night and sent an email to Ted. Fingers crossed. Looks like Spike's needs to fix the way they do their serial numbers so they aren't as confusing.

Wow! There are quite a few right here on INGO that are familiar with this mistake. I wonder how many there are nationwide? The ATF has got to be sick of this too. Well, maybe they enjoy it. It would be nice of them to note this on the E-file page. I know that it is not their fault or responsibility, but it is, partly their problem.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was just disapproved on my Spike's SBR e-filed Form 1, but for different reason. When I submitted the form 1, I must have hit the "R "key and the Model number came out SR15 instead of ST15 ( I seem to remember a drop down menu with different model numbers to choose from , but could be mistaken). There went 50 days of waiting. Seems like it should be an easy correction, but alas the e-mail said a refund will be issued within 30 days and due to heavy volume, I must re-submit and pay the tax again.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I was just disapproved on my Spike's SBR e-filed Form 1, but for different reason. When I submitted the form 1, I must have hit the "R "key and the Model number came out SR15 instead of ST15 ( I seem to remember a drop down menu with different model numbers to choose from , but could be mistaken). There went 50 days of waiting. Seems like it should be an easy correction, but alas the e-mail said a refund will be issued within 30 days and due to heavy volume, I must re-submit and pay the tax again.

I think I remember seeing SR15 as one of the models that Spike's made. Heck they seem to change the alphabetical characters around every time one of them farts. I also refilled last night and emailed Ted just for the heck of it. I also attached an article about corrections on NFA forms. But I know they can change the rules or make up new ones as they go along. I now blame Spike's Tactical after reading about so many having this and similar problems with their serial and model numbers. Yhey need to fix that.

Top Bottom