• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blinky85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've recently purchased an XD SC in 9mm, in the future I plan on purchasing several other firearms in this caliber as well. Since everything I plan on owning will all be in the same caliber I figured I could save my self a decent amount of money, and learn a lot by doing my own reloads.

I plan on purchasing a Lee Pro 1000 9mm kit later this year, and I've found several great places to buy jacketed rounds online for around 7 cents per round, however, I've quickly found that the hazmat fee paid for shipping primers and powder online adds up pretty quickly unless you're ordering large quantities of each.

Being on a budget I wont be able to order than say a lb or two of powder at a time along with 1k or 2k primers at a time, thus I'd like to find a place in town, or near town where I can pick up the powder and primer without paying the hazmat and shipping fee's, that is of course unless someone can point me towards a great deal online that beat any local deals, in which case I'm all ears.

Thanks again INGO in advanced for all the excellent advice.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I really can't comment on availability in Ft Wayne, but I really am curious about a couple of things:

Why are you set on only owning 9mm? Other calibers are fun and interesting too. I really, really like shooting my Ruger MK III .22. It's a great plinker and cheap to shoot. Bulk .22 ammo is less than $20 for 500 rounds. The gun was inexpensive too.

I'm also pretty new to reloading and just finished my first 300 rounds. But I started reloading in .45 ACP. I own 2 9mm, but I still have a lot of factory rounds. I can buy 9mm factory for about $11 for 50 rounds. I haven't looked yet, but I can't think I can reload for a lot less than that. I'll probably do some for experience though. In .45, I can certainly save a lot of money.

But I didn't start reloading just to save money. It's just an extension of the gun hobby. If that's your motivation, great. If your motivation for reloading is to just save money, it will take longer for 9mm.

blinky85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I really can't comment on availability in Ft Wayne, but I really am curious about a couple of things:

Why are you set on only owning 9mm? Other calibers are fun and interesting too. I really, really like shooting my Ruger MK III .22. It's a great plinker and cheap to shoot. Bulk .22 ammo is less than $20 for 500 rounds. The gun was inexpensive too.

I'm also pretty new to reloading and just finished my first 300 rounds. But I started reloading in .45 ACP. I own 2 9mm, but I still have a lot of factory rounds. I can buy 9mm factory for about $11 for 50 rounds. I haven't looked yet, but I can't think I can reload for a lot less than that. I'll probably do some for experience though. In .45, I can certainly save a lot of money.

But I didn't start reloading just to save money. It's just an extension of the gun hobby. If that's your motivation, great. If your motivation for reloading is to just save money, it will take longer for 9mm.

I Do want to get something in the .22 caliber for plinking around, but beyond that any other gun I want in the relatively near future will be 9mm, eventually i'd like to get a 45 as well (eventually reloading in that) Also like you I find reloading to be an extension of the hobby, something fun to experiment with as well as making cheaper loads to practice with that are similar to an expensive self defense round. Just wanted to find the cheapest (yet reliable) way of doing it.

From the Data I have at hand, in buying 2k primers, 2lb's of powder, reusing the brass I already have, and purchasing 2k bullets I can make rounds for about 6.50 per 50 with shipping and hazmat paid while having some powder left over to do more rounds. If I can find some place local that I can purchase from to avoid the hazmat and shipping costs (I understand I'll pay more for the actual Items themselves) I'd love to do that, if only to help out a local business and to get my items faster.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Cool. I'm sure someone from the area that reloads will come along with some places to pick up to avoid the hazmat. I'm sure they are available locally somewhere.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    21st Century Firearms Inc.

We're located approx 20 miles south of Fort Wayne on SR1. While I myself and no reloading guru, out shop manager is and he'd more than happy to make sure you get set up right.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You have a few options locally. 21st in Bluffton and Hillside in Roanoke just about always have a nice selection of primers and powder.

Another option is the local gunshow. Just this past weekend, I saw a table there loaded with cases of Winchester primers. They had better prices than I have seen lately. They were 26.00/1000 if you bought 5000 minimum. Other than that, they were 28.00/1000.

Dont hesitate to holler out on here either... There are a few local reloaders that possibly buy in bulk and just might be interested in "spliting" a bulk order. As for myself, I could just about always spare a 1000 or so primers if thats all you want, but I wouldn't be much help on powder. I have used the same 3 or 4 types for 25 + years, and would be surprised if they are what you are looking for. :D

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Being on a budget I wont be able to order than say a lb or two of powder at a time along with 1k or 2k primers at a time, thus I'd like to find a place in town, or near town where I can pick up the powder and primer without paying the hazmat and shipping fee's,

Tomlinson's in Churubusco. :yesway:
    (About 10 miles north of Dupont/Lima)

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    If you are just trying to avoid hazmat fees, it would be cheaper even to buy from Gander Mountain.
    I wouldnt spend my money there but it is cheaper than hazmat fees and shipping.
    If you are willing to spend 5 bucks in gas Hillside and 21rst Century might save you a couple extra bucks. I know last time I was at Hillside, primers were around 30/k and powder was anywhere from 18-22/lb. I do admit that was before Christmas but I prefer to give local businesses my support or businesses on INGO.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If you are willing to spend 5 bucks in gas Hillside and 21rst Century might save you a couple extra bucks.

There's no need to have to go that far when Tomlinson's is three times closer to the Gander area than either of the others and stocks IMR, Accurate, Winchester, Hodgdon, Alliant, Ramshot, Vihtavuori… Blackhorn and Goex, too. It's a local reloader's gold mine.
    Just leave some primers for me... ;)

braz007

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have had the same problem finding local supplies for reasonable prices. Here is what I have found so far:

Tomlinson's in Churubusco has a reasonable supply (no CCI Large Pistol Primers last time I was in), Unique was 23.00 / lb and 1k CCI Small Pistol Primers was 37.00.

Gander Mtn (while I really don't like giving them my money) was a little better on price but had a much worse selection, 1k Federal Large Pistol Primers was 33.00 and TiteGroup was 21.00 / lb.

I have not yet tried 21st Century because I *just* heard of them last weekend through a television commercial of all things. Apparently I have been living under a rock.

If you are ever in Indy or heading that direction call up Aszerigan at Profire (Profire Arms & Supply - INGunOwners) he is a great guy with a new shop and will cover Hazmat fees if you give him enough lead time. Also, I took a reloading class from him, that and a manual is all I needed to start reloading. :ingo:

Best of luck finding supplies, post back if you find some closer / cheaper.

Adam

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Along with the ones mentioned, I think it's Cedar Creek Outfitters (or something along those lines.) In Garrett. On main drag into town. Coldwater Rd. in to Dekalb Co. Follow rd. Hillside is a great place and 21st.

mdemetz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    NW Elkhart Co.
    Another option is the local gunshow. Just this past weekend, I saw a table there loaded with cases of Winchester primers. They had better prices than I have seen lately. They were 26.00/1000 if you bought 5000 minimum. Other than that, they were 28.00/1000.

Probably this guy. He is supposed to be at the Indy 1500.

FWShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    I have had the same problem finding local supplies for reasonable prices. Here is what I have found so far:

Tomlinson's in Churubusco has a reasonable supply (no CCI Large Pistol Primers last time I was in), Unique was 23.00 / lb and 1k CCI Small Pistol Primers was 37.00.

Gander Mtn (while I really don't like giving them my money) was a little better on price but had a much worse selection, 1k Federal Large Pistol Primers was 33.00 and TiteGroup was 21.00 / lb.

I have not yet tried 21st Century because I *just* heard of them last weekend through a television commercial of all things. Apparently I have been living under a rock.

If you are ever in Indy or heading that direction call up Aszerigan at Profire (Profire Arms & Supply - INGunOwners) he is a great guy with a new shop and will cover Hazmat fees if you give him enough lead time. Also, I took a reloading class from him, that and a manual is all I needed to start reloading. :ingo:

Best of luck finding supplies, post back if you find some closer / cheaper.

Adam

Gander is my oh crap I need something quick and have no desire to drive 30 minutes to get it. Plus on my way home from work. However; nothing is cheap there unless it is on sale but like Target just wait a week and it will be on sale. The other thing is they are pretty clueless so you better know what you want when you want in there.

21 is worth the haul and when I was there on Saturday they had a good selection of reloading equipment it seemed. Heck even the Mountain House dried food was 2 bucks cheaper than Gander a bag.

Past that I have not gotten into reloading so I cannot really comment since I am stocked up on ammo but when I deplete my supplies I will invest (aka right now to many other toys I want to buy).

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    Isn't Sinclair International still in New Haven? Been a couple years since I bought anything in their shop. Did they move when Brownells bought them out?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Sinclair doesn't have a store in that location anymore. I think they've got a physical store somewhere in Iowa, and the rest is all online.

Lunchbox_0385

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    I heard a few of the guys from Sinclair's are working out at Hillside... Nice to see the knowledge is still getting put to good use.

Top Bottom