• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

Against my better judgment, I went to a few pawn shops in Fort Wayne w/ my wife this afternoon to see what we could see. I'll never step foot in those trailer-park trash garbage shops ever again- at least not in Fort Wayne!!!!

In the last one we stopped at (Cash America Pawn on Coldwater Rd.) we stumbled across a pretty decent looking Thomson Center .50 cal. Hawken Muzzel Loader way in the back corner. I talked to the first guy (who was nice) about it, held the gun and looked it over. Not perfect and kind of dirty, but would make an excellent shooter. They had $299 on it and the guy said they could work on the price a bit. We thanked him and left, but not before I told him I wanted to discuss it w/ my wife first, because I had already bought a gun at the gunshow earlier in the day.

The wifey gave me the go-ahead to snag it, so we went back. I figured I'd make him an offer on the gun and I also took an autographed, limited production, Top Fuel Dragster Piston/Connecting Rod Clock that was actually used & signed by both Kenny and Brandon Bernstien- just to see what they might give me for it. Maybe use it as partial trade, plus some cash or whatever..

When I first opened the package and showed it to the bald-headed, fat-azz behind the counter, (a different guy from the first) he didn't even let me get the package opened before he rudely said, "We don't want that stuff and this isn't Vegas". He didn't even know what it was I was trying to show him, nor did he even care....

Then I said, "Fine, what about that Hawken over there and how anchored on the price are you with that?" He flatly said, "Which one, the black one?" I replied, "Nooooo, the WOODEN stock .50 cal Hawken you have there". He didn't even look toward the gun to know which oneI was talking about and dumbly said, "Well, I think someone else asked me about that one the other day and the I didn't budge with him either, so whatever price is on it, will stick."

I said, "Hmmmmm, so here I am at a pawn shop that doesn't buy anything other than junk, you don't even want to discuss it all and you're clueless on what you trying to (not) sell, nor even talking about price either?" He simply said with a disgustingly smug smile on his bald-azz, meaty head and said "Nope!"

I said, "Well you're right about one thing......this place CERTAINLY isn't a Vegas shop and you and this place is a joke." "Good luck and Happy New Year, you're going to need it....." Walked out and left...

I hate pawn shops anyway and this singular experience in trying to buy/sell with them validated my predisposed apprehensions I had about them in the first place. Most of the stuff we saw in all of them were absolute JUNK, the places stunk like azz and the staff looked just like they came off a chain gang... We left feeling smelly and dirty, where I took a shower as soon as I got home.

Never again am I going into those scummy, bottom-feeder places...:runaway:.

Rant off.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    That store is part of a chain. The idiot you dealt with just works there and is obviously a mental midget. You could call the main office and tell them of your experience. He is definitely costing them money and that is their only concern....
    I have been dealing with pawn shops since I was a teenager. Have had some really good luck in some of them...Also, not all shops are pits as you described. That is a direct reflection on the management of that particular establishment.
    You will get super deals from some shops as you become familiar to the employees there. I have bought gold and silver coins at way below spot, guns, higher dollar jewelry, tackle, etc, all at very good prices.....You just have to find the right shops.....

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I went to a pawn shop in Richmond and asked to see the Ruger pistol behind the counter. The guy said, "I need to see some ID first." I showed him my drivers license in the wallet and he said he needed to hold it while I held the gun. I said, "What ever." handed the license to him and checked out the gun. Overpriced. They pretended like it was the gun that killed Lincoln. When I left there I couldn't help but think, "I just left my prints all over a gun at a pawn shop. What if one of these shadey guys plants that gun at a crime scene?" LOL! It's a great place to be if you are looking for an overpriced wornout drill or some other piece of crap. Now I buy all of my guns at reputable places where the customer is valued and where I know I will get a fair deal: The Indy 1500.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll pass on the pawn shops for a while...at least the one's around here. It's not worth my time to mess with that place by calling corp. offices, etc. Just a lesson learned.. ;)

I would like to actually visit a clean, well stocked pawn shop though sometime, just to see what I can see.

Can you imagine how bad it must be to work at a place like Hardcore Pawn in that toilet-of-a-city Detroit??? Wow!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    We frequent the pawn shops in Lafayette occasionally, but only to buy, never to sell. Got a kersosene heater NIB at one for $35. Was missing the handle which cost me $14 more to order from the factory.

But yeah, most suck.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I've had some good luck in some pawnshops but sometimes the prices defy logic. I picked up a S&W no dash model 28 for $275 awhile back. As much as anything it sounds like you had an idiot the second time around.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I've found similar experiences in pawn shops in my area. I go to pawn shops when I need a tool of some type. Picked up a couple of nice framing nailers a couple of weeks ago, but never had any luck finding a deal on a gun in a pawn shop.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I went to a pawn shop in Richmond and asked to see the Ruger pistol behind the counter. The guy said, "I need to see some ID first." I showed him my drivers license in the wallet and he said he needed to hold it while I held the gun. I said, "What ever." handed the license to him and checked out the gun. Overpriced. They pretended like it was the gun that killed Lincoln. When I left there I couldn't help but think, "I just left my prints all over a gun at a pawn shop. What if one of these shadey guys plants that gun at a crime scene?" LOL! It's a great place to be if you are looking for an overpriced wornout drill or some other piece of crap. Now I buy all of my guns at reputable places where the customer is valued and where I know I will get a fair deal: The Indy 1500.

Which Richmond pawn shop was this? This can't be All American because I've never shown them ID & they even let me hand the guns to my 16 year old son. Their prices are a little on the high side but their customer service rocks.

Papper2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    I have visited a few Pawn shops--always to look the guns.-One shop had a case full of over priced hand guns of varies make and cal/condition. went back in a week later Just to kill 15 minutes--and EVERY one of the hand guns were gone????????? about 20 overpriced handguns --gone in a week---makes me wonder where they traveled to--

whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    I have collected antique fishing tackle for about 25 years now and used to hit every pawn shop within 100 miles on a regular basis. Got tired of all the same BS and have not set foot in a PS in almost 6 years now. I know there are some great deals to be made at times but not worth the hassle.

dingodog

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Monticello
    I like pawn shops. I travelled often with a former employer and went to pawn shops all the time. It was a good way to kill some time while in a "foreign" city. There are some really good deals sometimes. But, pawn shops are certainly a crap shoot.....and mostly they're crap. It's was fun seeing what they have.

nkantzer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Rochester
    Thanks to T.V pawn shops think that they can do what they want. I havent been in one in a while but the ones in Warsaw for equipment for machining and electronics its not bad but have to know how to haggle or its not worth it.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    Pawn Shops here in Fort Wayne are generally a waste of time. Something prompted me however to stop at the store Store on Coliseum and I happend to notice in the case a few GPS units. Four of the Five were Auto GPS units. They of course were outrageously priced. All except for the back country garmin that amazon was pricing at over $300. They had it marked at $90. I told the kid in there I'd give him $50 and he took it. Haha, so maybe it will make you happy to know that they got taken on one.

kenyo64

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Have done ok a few times myself, a couple of snapon air rachets 3/8-1/4 inch both for $90 :D
    ken

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    My wife and I checked out the lafayette pawn shops on 52 saturday. The new one really didnt have alot of stuff and prices were ok at best. The other one we stopped at had a few guns and from the tags i could see there was no real deals to be had on guns. The owner had some no name pistols behind the counter and he was packing a high point. :):

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I did get a business card from the nice guy at last place I spoke about, that gives a web link to whatever place they sell all their rim and centerfire firearms to so they can be sold. He said they typically don't mess w/ anything regarding over-the-counter selling other than black powder and air guns, due to regulations, paperwork or whatever.

Auction Arms - All Categories

I've never heard of this website before, so I wonder if it's owned by the Cash America Pawn Shop chain?

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    I know of one decent shop in fort Wayne. It's B&B loan. I believe it's on Calhoun st. North of main. No guns but quality stuff and decent people.

Top Bottom