• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've never seen anyone mention this. I probably missed it though. Who knows what kind of disaster could happen. Nuclear war, crazies running naked all around. Who knows. So what about having thick slabs of steel to cover all your windows and doors? Maybe even lining your roof to prevent anyone from coming in from above. Could even make some kind of hatch on the windows so you can defend your "fort" too. Possibly even a sniper post in the attic...Like I said, who knows what may happen? Just a thought....

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I've never seen anyone mention this. I probably missed it though. Who knows what kind of disaster could happen. Nuclear war, crazies running naked all around. Who knows. So what about having thick slabs of steel to cover all your windows and doors? Maybe even lining your roof to prevent anyone from coming in from above. Could even make some kind of hatch on the windows so you can defend your "fort" too. Possibly even a sniper post in the attic...Like I said, who knows what may happen? Just a thought....

I've always dreamed of steel plate in the walls, window covers a la Will Smith in "I Am Legend", and a fortified crow's nest at the roof line with a spiral stair leading to it.

Not too practical and pretty conspicuous in my suburban hood...maybe it's time to move again...hmmmm

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Other than thick armor steel, regular steel isn't that bullet resistant.

Consider the Skousen wall addition to an existing structure. 6" steel framed wall, with 3/4" plywood screwed on exterier, the cavity filled with 1/2" to 3/4" rock.

Layer 1/4" to 3/8" hardened steel plate with 3/8" to 1/2" quality plywood w/the plywood the inner and outermost layers for shutters for windows and doors.

Use the Skousen wall on a cupola or two on the roof to provide sniping positions.

If you have a crawspace, consider making armored firing points through the foundation.

Just my thoughts. I would suggest you rig up a test to determine if these would work. I have it on good authority that they do, but I haven't tested them myself.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Steel plating the windows doesn't really help a whole lot. A sawzall will go right through the wall. Ballistic thermo plastics can be used for the windows, but it is expensive and still wont stop the real big bore stuff. Plating the whole house is very cost prohibitive when you are talking about hardened steel, furthermore it would make things like cell phones and radios very unhappy.

Masonry is the answer here. And I don't mean cinder block construction. However to be done properly you would have to build from scratch. If are interested in stuff like this check into Monolithic Domes.

Personally I am waiting for Composite Reinforced Concrete to be used in Monolithic Domes, that will really take out allot of the negatives of steel reinforcement.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Other than windows how about just good old fashion Indiana lime stone :) It will not stop every round made,but most.Our exterior is rough limestone and i have faith it would stop most rounds.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    Well I can vouch that bricks will stop .357 sig.

If you big concern is stopping bullets then stone or concrete will be a good answer, but if you want to actually fortify your home stead then you have to really start looking at the doors. Your dead bolt is an allusion of security for several reasons. First off picking a lock is actually very easy, second unless you have a reinforced door frame two good kicks will bring it down.

Magnetic lock systems are pretty cool, and you can get upwards of 650# retrofit kits without removing the door frame.

How Fort Wilderness do you want to go? I guess a big part of this equation is what are you prepping for and defending against. If you think that you will be attacked by crazy looters then a hardened defense point in the attic should work, just upgrade the load bearing studs and then add some ballistic steel for firing positions. If you really want someplace where you can drink coffee while watching them the anything smaller than anti armor and RPG at you then you will have to start from scratch.

Now if you want killdozer or despot proof then you need to start building under a mountain. And moving one of those to Indiana might be cost prohibitive.

Actually building a hardened monolithic dome with serious doors wouldn't be too expensive if starting from scratch. It might not last through a long term siege, but should work for anything less that some one seriously motivated.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    My buddy George S Patton once said "Fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man.”

Any fortification can be taken, but I have also dreamt of fortifying the home. I guess the question is are you wanting protection from rounds coming into the house or just keeping the zombies out?

I have counted the number of interior doors (closet, pantry, bathrooms) and compared that to the windows on the first floor. If need be those can be used to shore up the windows to keep the zombies out. I also like the sandbag idea, there are the ones that absorb water so now your set for a flood and shrapnel protection.

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    They were using Mules to move equipment and ammo up the mountain and wounded and dead down. Mules are rather stubborn beasts that sometimes disagree with the people in charge of them. As I was told, there were a few mules that decided they didn't want to move to the side to let the Generals JEEP pass. Patton dismounted and decided to explained the error of the Asses ways to my Grandfather.

My Grandfather always laughed when he told that story even 60 years later. He thought it was cool that he got to meet Patton, and getting personally cussed was almost as cool as a conversation. That and He always found it hilarious that He was cussed out because a mule didn't want to get too close to a cliff.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    You didn't say what your were fortifying against. Figuring out whether you want to stop a gaggle of rabid kittens vs. stopping a 50BMG round vs stopping dozzilla will have a huge impact on your design, the cost, and the viability of your plan.

In the end, I think it's better to have protected mobile transportation than a fortified home. Even rabid kittens can put you under seige and wait you out. Then what good is your fortified house? If you fortify your vehicle, you can run from rabid kittens, dodge a 50BMG, and outrun dozzilla. You can't outrun an A10, but if that's what you're trying to defend against, you've already lost.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I haven't really done anything for SHTF. I was just a lil surprised there wasn't a lot of posts about fortifying your home. Lot of good ideas in this thread though. I probably should start preparing....

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    wow i cant believe im about to agree with a MARINE..... :P

but i agree with SemperFiUSMC because a strong mobil fighting platform will be your salvation. Sure secure your doors and windows, and one room size fortified fall back possition is always good to keep out the nutz or kill the ones that get in, but any bigger threat coming for your anus you will need to fall back, out of the house to live and fight another day. Used civilian up armored vehicles are cheaply found now days (and practicle for everyday family travel, except the gas bill), all you need is a vehicle platform that will take afew rounds to the body, windows, and tires (runflat), so that you can get away from the heavy threat. If your looking to spend money on the house after you have reenforced the doors and windows, then i would recomend building in a invisible (from the outside) escape door. most non seige trained attackers (even police) will focus on doors and windows. so you divert to where they arent looking. be pretty funny if in a long windowless wall of your house a small door poped open and you and your family escaped and the attackers were left outside scratching their butts wondering why no more gunfire is coming down range, hehehehe. There are many ways to make this method effective to guarentee invisibility, but probly the easiest and most cost effective would be to plant shrubbery around your escape hatch in a manner that will allow you to reach your secondary escape method (vehicle, etc) . just some ideas. but unless it was to deffend against afew attackers i wouldnt recomend staying in your house if SHTF, because even if you have a pile of dead bodies laying on your front door step, that will be a sign to the masses that something good and untouched is probly inside, and there will be no way you can deffend against possibly hundreds of hungry and angry attackers, and by that point your escape avenue is pretty much FUBAR. Truely I believe there is no cost too great to protect your life and that of your family but practicality is key. dont be like some and waist your money on crap you dont need to be effective or you will end up in a sense like the guy who's the gun shops favorite customer because he buys crap for his AR every week and now it weighs 20lbs and hes still adding stuff to it just to go to the range, WAHAHA, (you all know a fool like that).
    FIRST work out a game plan for every situation you can think of and then the ones you cant. you can build a castle and then i can set it on fire and its purpose has been defeated. same with a fortified house, fire is an easy way to get someone out, and believe me if rounds start flying back and forth eventually fire is probly gonna break out. Things never happen the way you plan, but a game plan is always the first step so you will remain calm. then practice. NO DONT START SHOOTING AT YOR NEIGHBORS FROM YOUR WINDOWS, lol. I mean practice your escape roughts. blind fold yourself and see if you can find your way to your bugout bag and your family and exits if black smoke was filling your house. i also recomend a cache of food, water, amo, shelter, communication, maps, etc, medication, (keep it fresh and updated)... outside your house, burried, but somewhere only you and your family know about and in a place you can get to if SHTF. plan for the worst, but plan and reherse. Also what if you or your family are injured and the hospitals arent operating?? Get some basic and maybe advanced medical certification so you are TOTALY self sufficient!! Dont rely on the corner grocery store to be there when you need it, because it will be one of the first places hit by mobs out of panic.
    If your house looks like a fortress from the outside, then in a society of law it will deture most, but if a disaster happens and law is no longer in play then you will become a target, because the only people who build fortresses are the ones who have good things inside to protect, and in despiration people will risk being shot for a can of soup.
    Stay calm and stay safe!

Last edited:

homeless

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    indy
    The real problem with fortified vehicles is that they are fortified vehicles. They are incredibly worthless pre-event, they are very conspicuous, heavy, expensive to operate, and hard to store.

While a BOV is a good idea, it's main purpose is to be reliable, able to cross all expected terrain, and carry your long term gear to your BIL. For most people this is the SUV that they drive every day.

When you start up armoring vehicles they become completely different animals. The more weight you add, the worse it handles, the worse it accelerates and stops. You need to add more power, bigger brakes, heavier shocks and springs. Then you have to rethink the tires, and maybe even the steering box, and the gear boxes. On top of all of this you have just welded an metric *** load of steel to your truck. Your neighbors will notice. People will question. And this is something most prepers want to avoid. Low key is key.

Now getting back to fixed fortifications. while they aren't exactly battle field practical, they are pre-event practical. IF you are building or remodeling your home, adding fortifications is not a bad idea.

Lets go back to one of my earlier posts, Monolithic Domes, These are re-enforced concrete homes. These things are weather proof; Fire, Flood,Tornado,Hurricane,Earthquake,etc. Natural Disaster is one of the big IF's that people are getting ready for.

If you are securing your home, and replace all the lower level glass with ballistic rated ploy-carbonite windows, and secured the doors and their frames, then you have not only built in fortifications when irradiated raider hordes come for your children, but you have secured your home from pre-event break ins.

Most of this can be done without a whole lot of outward attention. People might notice during construction but not after its finished. For someone that doesn't want to draw attention this is the way to go. Furthermore most of these things could actually lower your home owners insurance. Thus saving you money so you can buy that really awesome uparmored mobile battle station.

jtolbert8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    All of these methods will work to help fortify your establishment... but what if the "bad guys" set your place on fire?

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    A very valid first post jtolbert. I think fire resistant materials ie stone, brick, sheetrock etc are very important. fields of fire to prevent fire weilding attackers from getting too close are essential and some sort of flexible fire suppression plan should be in place. I say flexable in the sense that in times of true catastrophy your sprinkler system that is a perfect solution may not have water pressure and you may be beating out flames with a wet blanket wishing you bought some fire extinguishers. shtf comes in many forms and degrees fire suppression is essential everyday.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    when i said armored vehicles i dont mean an APC. Im talking a cadelac that has been reenforced, or mayby a chevy tahoe. there are many afordable options that can be driven everyday. In my job I sometimes have to drive civilian armored vehicles. yes the weight is a monkey on your back until you are properly trained, but just for an average joe who might use it once theres not much to it except dont turn sharply, and when you break, start sooner than normal. basics. yes gas will be a B****, but thats nothing compared to peace of mind. it doesnt have to even be a daily driver, even driving t once a week and keeping up on routine maintenance will be fine. I like the dome idea. but not everyone can build a new home. for those of you who have a home, bullet resistant glass in the windows with good locks, bolt and reenforce the doors and any outside vents, get a backup generator for just in case, etc, all i mentioned above, and get of coarse fire extenguishers (something you should have on every level of your house anyways) that way you can make an exit if fire breaks out. but you cant be everywhere at once and unless you have an independant self suficient fire supression system, if the grid goes down and your place is on fire, sorry you are gonna lose your home, fire extenguishers arent gonna cut the mustard

Top Bottom