• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rby1rby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Delphi
    My stepson is a Marine & he said "If you buy an AR, make sure it has forward assist."
    He didn't elaborate on why & I didn't ask. I figured he has shot them enough to know.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The AR platform already had a forward assist before Big Army made them stack another one on. See the divot in the bolt that looks like a cut out for your finger (index or driving finger of your support hand)? That's the forward assist.
    Actually, no that is not why that detent area was placed on the bolt carrier. It was to allow the chamber cover to latch. ;)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have never used mine, not even in the service. If I pull the trigger and there is no bang. The mag is seated properly and the safety is off. Obviously there is an issue with the round. Why would I want to force it into the chamber?

Mike.B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Grant County
    In years of using them I never had to use the forward assist on my own rifle. Now some of my buddies that were lazy about cleaning theirs... a couple of times.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    My stepson is a Marine & he said "If you buy an AR, make sure it has forward assist."
    He didn't elaborate on why & I didn't ask. I figured he has shot them enough to know.

I concur. If you've ever did any infantry stuff in a sandy enviroment, ie beach landings, you will often times have the chance to see the value of the FA.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Never had to use one, but I have a total throwback retro AR that doesn't even have one (nor the deflector that I need to fire left handed) but that's just my fun rifle. It has the triangle front end and the three-prong flash enhancer. Stepping boldly into the early 60s!

rooster3654

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2012
    Knox County
    I concur. If you've ever did any infantry stuff in a sandy enviroment, ie beach landings, you will often times have the chance to see the value of the FA.

Speaking from some military exp. the forward assist is very valuable. As soon as any dirt/dust/sand gets near an m16/m4 it inevitably fails to properly seat a round. A quick tap of the forward assist solves this problem. S.P.O.R.T.S probably seems like a long process to go through but it will solve 99% of problems in less than 3 to 5 seconds with sufficient practice. A double feed is the only problem it doesn't fix. Of course a forward assist wouldn't be needed if AR 's weren't jam-omatics in the first place:rolleyes:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Actually, no that is not why that detent area was placed on the bolt carrier. It was to allow the chamber cover to latch.

Have you seen an early AR-10 or the early AR-15s with the chrome bolts? No detent area and they had dust covers.

Stoner put the detent on the bolt for a reason and it wasn't for a dust cover.

Big Army insisted on the forward assist out of the politics of spite (we'll get them). Big Army was being cut out of the AR-15 and they wanted payback. Stoner thought they would realize the error of their ways and want it gone (like the Air Force or the Marines who deemed it non-essential). Today it is deemed essential.:D

Stoner testified to the U.S. Senate that the forward assist only bought more trouble. Concern over non-judicious use of the forward assist is a legitimate concern as whacking the FA like a numbnuts can lead to . . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1lyMyejpI

KABOOMs, they not just for breakfast or Glocks.:D

It's an interesting point to consider. Whether the AR has it or not is just another inane detail for gun nuts to beard stroke over.

I have them with them and without them but don't use it.

c3d4b2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    I have needed to use the forward assist. I would guess it is once or twice per two thousand rounds.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I could live with it or without it.

Kirks way of using the detent works, it can be a little warmish tho.

It does work as a method of chamber checking too.

Mine have em, but thats because I havent gone thru the trouble to NOT have them, and the extra few oz at the midpoint of the rifle is... inconsequential.

thats my opinion.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Origional M-16 delivered to USAF did not have forward assist. Gen Lamay of USAF saved it from heap after Army rejected it. USAF needed to replace ageing M-1 carbines for flight line defense and M-16 fit the bill.
    Army did not want to adopt this weapon they were forced to by Defense Sec Robert McNamera. so they had to make changes to save face. Forward Assist was their idea. As noted above Designer E. Stoner did not think it was necessary.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    so they had to make changes to save face. Forward Assist was their idea. As noted above Designer E. Stoner did not think it was necessary.

Big Army thought a "manual bolt closure" device was necessary if they were going to be force fed the AR-15. Reaching up and under and closing it was unacceptable to Big Army. There were several different prototypes.

Stoner liked Springfield Armory's variant as it was the easiest to take off once (he thought) Big Army came to their senses *snicker*. The design from Colt prevailed and we are stuck with this "vital" thing ever since.:D

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    My son and I had run about 500 rounds of Silver Bear on my AR's maiden voyage.At about 400 we had to start using the forward assist to fully seat the bolt.

Top Bottom