• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Ok, I've been looking at AR's, and seeing the DPMS Sporticals, and they are cheaper than others, but what I want to know is, is the forward assist, really necessary now-a-days? I know when they were in Vietnam they needed them when the guns were dirty, and the chamber fouled..I think they look better with, than with out, but is the Sportical an ok gun? Just wondering?

excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    On a true fighting gun I could maybe see an argument for it. But on a fun gun there isn't a good use for the thing. If the round won't chamber, you probably don't really want to shoot it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I kinda consider forward assist the "armorer call button"*. If you absolutely need to get one more round off, then by all means hit it. If the bolt isn't going forward smoothly, it is because something is stuck, usually in the chamber. Smacking the FA may get the bolt to lock up but it is gonna jam whatever is in there really tight and good luck getting that opened back up.

Even a smack the buttstock on a really hard object drill probably isn't going to do it. I do not consider not having FA to be a real drawback. Others may disagree.

Best,

Joe

*phrase "armorer call buttone" shamelessly stolen from a friend.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My experience with the AR is that it's better to have a forward assist, especially after you've been shooting for a while. Even if you're not looking at it as a combat rifle, you'll never know when you'll need to push that round forward.

68kidd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hanover
    i have owned the DPMS sportical for almost 2 years and never had a problem with the gun. i just like to shoot at the range . i am not the most experinced gun guy . just my :twocents:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Given the amount and type of shooting most of us civvies do with our ARs, I don't think its absolutely necessary. That being said, I'd skip the Sportical for other reasons.

Maybe take a look at the new S&W Sport model (also inexpensive and no FA).

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The FA has a purpose. If it is ever a possibility it would be needed, why have an AR without one? You never know what could happen, especially if you are running reloads.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    The FA has a purpose. If it is ever a possibility it would be needed, why have an AR without one? You never know what could happen, especially if you are running reloads.

This. What's the harm? Downside: a little weight. Upside: if you need it, you have it.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Dunham's has a Bushmaster flat-top for $769.99 still good tomorrow.

As far as the Sportical, I've seen people saying to avoid them and I've also seen people that have loved them. Not sure what the price of the Sportical is (the places I've seen them, they were around a little under $700). If it were me and I could swing it tomorrow, I'd head to Dunham's just to see if the Bushmaster is on sale still (ad says it is but I'm not sure if they've got different items on sale in different parts of the state).

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I haven't read any posts prior to mine. The fact is technology has come light years since the original inception of the AR, from a technical reliabilty standpoint the forward assist is nothing more than a useless reminder of where we've been and no indication of where we are at. If i need nostalgia I'll talk to all my relatives who are vets and there stories of the transition from the M1A1 to the AR

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I have an M&P Sport. It has no FA and no dust cover. If you clean your gun regularly it most likely wont be an issue, but I had an issue after firing 30 or 40 blanks with my golf ball launcher that would have been solved by FA. Blanks are nasty dirty. I have had no issue with regular ammo.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    Unless you are performing waterborne ops, the forward assist is not needed.

The charging handle does a far better job than the forward assist to get a round into the chamber. If a round does not chamber completely, it should not be chambered at all. The original M-16 did not include a forward assist, it was added by request of the Military, not the designer.

If your reloads do not chamber, they are out of spec and should not be in the rifle.

One additional issue with the forward assist is the construction. The design and components are the weak link to the system. If any part fails, small parts enter the upper and lower and typically lock the bolt.

forwardAssist.gif

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    My good friend has had his DPMS sportical for a good 2 1/2 years now with no problems, so I can't say don't get one. But all my AR's have had forward assists, I like having it on there. Only had to use it once, but it allowed me to get the bolt fully forward so I could break the rifle down and find the problem. My :twocents:

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I am on the fence on this one. I can start by stating that not a whole lot of other firearms do not have forward assist (FA, from here on out), so why does the M4/AR? I am a firm believer that if something won't naturally go into the chamber, don't try to force it. Using your FA to ensure the firearm in properly into battery I can understand. I wouldn't give it anything more than a light tap though. I've seen a few people just beat the snot out of it trying to get a round in there, only for it to stay there till the cleaning rod knocked it out.

It's tapped in the "Army" doctrine though as a step during several manipulations though. I can remember every time I jammed a mag and let the bolt go home, I'd give it a push. Nowadays I just yank on the charging handle and get the round out of there from the get go.

I guess not having one is really not a big deal to me. The hardcore's will tell you absolutely have to have one, but others will see it as a dated feature of the platform.

If you have one, I guess I'd just say "tap" responsibly?

Top Bottom