• ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Which is exactly my point.
    Those too stupid or meek to have guns to protect their families shouldn't have kids to begin with. In any capacity.

QZ9mTu6.gif

No one would get adopted then........

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It makes perfect sense from the perspective of a risk averse policy maker. Accidental shootings of self or others are significantly more common than shootings of bad guys. While any given person may be well trained and disciplined, thus at lower risk, the policy is to address the masses. So, you weigh the odds and the consequences. A kid who doesn't get foster care doesn't make the news, is still available for foster care, nobody is fired. A foster kid who finds a gun and shoots himself is bad for everyone involved.

Agree or disagree, it's not hard to see the perspective that leads to such a policy. Their goal isn't maximum freedom.
    A state run agency should not be making rules like that. While maximum freedom may not be their goal, restricting rights should not be allowed.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Is becoming a foster parent run by local or statewide rules?

The reason I ask is that if it is run locally, then wouldn't it follow that local govt cannot add additional limitations to our carry rights? This is how we defeated local libraries, zoos, etc from making "firearms not allowed" removed from their ability to do so.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

PS - I see KLBs post, but just want to make certain that this restriction is coming from the State and not local.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Is becoming a foster parent run by local or statewide rules?

The reason I ask is that if it is run locally, then wouldn't it follow that local govt cannot add additional limitations to our carry rights? This is how we defeated local libraries, zoos, etc from making "firearms not allowed" removed from their ability to do so.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Doug

PS - I see KLBs post, but just want to make certain that this restriction is coming from the State and not local.
    State sets the guidelines, regulations, and does enforcement and oversight of private agencies.

There are local branches but not local rule making.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Nothing guarantees the right to foster a child, so they can require that one gives up other rights in order to take part in it for reasons previously mentioned. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

That said, I think it is absolute BS (vs. simply BS) when they try to apply this to family members who are willing/trying to take in a child that they are related to.

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    Nothing guarantees the right to foster a child, so they can require that one gives up other rights in order to take part in it for reasons previously mentioned. I don't agree with it, but it is what it is.

That said, I think it is absolute BS (vs. simply BS) when they try to apply this to family members who are willing/trying to take in a child that they are related to.
    To be fair, I don't believe they do. Family is often exempt from large swathes of requirements- UNLESS you want the state per diem to assist with the costs of a surprise addition. Then you go through the full process

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It makes perfect sense from the perspective of a risk averse policy maker. Accidental shootings of self or others are significantly more common than shootings of bad guys. While any given person may be well trained and disciplined, thus at lower risk, the policy is to address the masses. So, you weigh the odds and the consequences. A kid who doesn't get foster care doesn't make the news, is still available for foster care, nobody is fired. A foster kid who finds a gun and shoots himself is bad for everyone involved.

Agree or disagree, it's not hard to see the perspective that leads to such a policy. Their goal isn't maximum freedom.

Yes, it's pretty clear where the fear is. Also, besides accidents, there' are suicides...and attacks by the children. Not saying it justifies.

Most of us have talked about the lengths we go to to educate our kids about gun safety so that they are not in danger around guns. Good on us. However, when you are a foster parent, you are getting kids of unknown background, often unknown problems from usually pretty bad situations and you have little no no idea how trustworthy or safety minded they are, let alone whether they, themselves can be a threat. (Yes, it happens).

My thanks and admiration to people who put themselves out there for these kids. It's a great thing you're doing.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    This is exactly what I wrote on the back of my form and signed at the bottom:

Firearms safety agreement:

Foster children will not be given access to firearms or other weapons unless approved in writing by the department.

Firearms, including BB guns and air guns, not in use will be unloaded and locked up in the foster family home to prevent unauthorized use.

Firearms in use (to include defensive purposes) may be loaded but will be secured from unauthorized use on the person or locked up.

There is no requirement to be licensed to carry a firearm.

I left the front of the form blank. Nobody was willing to argue any further and they dropped the matter.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This is exactly what I wrote on the back of my form and signed at the bottom:

Firearms safety agreement:

Foster children will not be given access to firearms or other weapons unless approved in writing by the department.

Firearms, including BB guns and air guns,*not in use*will be unloaded and locked up in the foster family home to prevent unauthorized use.

Firearms in use (to include defensive purposes) may be loaded but will be secured from unauthorized use on the person or locked up but will always be treated as though it is loaded regardless.

There is no requirement to be licensed to carry a firearm.

I left the front of the form blank. Nobody was willing to argue any further and they dropped the matter.

Well said!
    :-)

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Are we banning foster parents from having cars? swimming pools? medical care?

But cars don't shoot people.... swimming pools don't shoot people..... medical care don't shoot people.....
    Only GUNS shoot people. :(

Hey I could make looser liberal commercials. :):

I honestly don't think unarmed people should raise kids. If you're not willing to protect them, you shouldn't have them. Am I saying to force anti-gunners to have a firearm? Hell no , that would be a disaster but they can't protect themselves or their family so, what do we do? Neuter them? Mmmm OK, how do we start that bill.

I wouldn't let certain parents watch my kids while in CA or let my kids stay over at some of their friends houses. I found the parents were wusses. It's my rule and I'm allowed.

It's sad that there are so many kids in the adoption system and there doesn't "Seem" to be enough "QUALIFIED" parents as it is. Maybe they need to revamp this system...... again.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you required to lock the keys up when the car is not in use?
    Car must be in a locked garage, with the gasoline stored separately. Keys to both the garage and fuel storage must not be kept with the house keys. You need permission from your "advocate" each time your foster child needs to be in the car.

Pools must be behind a locked gate, and the water stored separately when not in use. Keys to the gate must not be kept with the house keys. You need permission from your "advocate" each time your foster child would like to swim in the pool.

Basically and find-replace of the firearms rule.

If you squint, it is purple-ish.

I don't think anyone really minds foster children to be placed in a safe household. However, if the household is safe enough for one's biological children, it is safe enough for a foster child.

Top Bottom