• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    EVERYTHING you've ever wanted to know about Mosins, and even some things you DIDN'T know you wanted to know. It's all here my friend.

7.62x54r.net
    If you have any further questions after reading all of that, pm MillerTyme.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Let me preface this by saying I just became a site supporter only because I support ingunowners, not to ask for advice on this cheap old rifle. We were out today and I literally stumbled on a Mosin. Never had one. Of course my wife said I couldn't get it so I told the guy I would probably come back. Finish is rough. Has the ghost ring sight with the elevating rear sight, one leather strap in the back but not the front, ammo belt, a few stripper clips of ammo, and bayonet in a sheath. 1947 model. I believe it's probably worth the $275 so that's not the problem. I never desired to have one and I'm not familiar with them. Any opinions on going back to get it or will I regret it taking up space.

I missed the part where you explained why your wife said you couldn't get it? The odds of regret vary considerably, depending upon the possible answers to that question.

Last edited:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    The Mosin rifle is probably the most dependable rifle ever made! They are crude but quite strong and very simple. They were designed to work in Russian winters with very little if any maintenance. They were also designed to be used by Russian Peasants that had Zero shooting experience and little experience with anything mechanical.

I have a few purchased when they were <$100 ea. They shoot a 7.62 X 54R cartridge which is slightly more powerful than a 30-06. They (at least the ones I have) are fairly decent shooters, most are within 2 MOA. Surplus ammo is still somewhat available but the price has just about doubled in the last 5 years - now about $.40 $.50 a round - commercial ammo is widely available starting about $.55.

Some are hard to cock as the machining is fairly crude, but always workable. They also have a fairly substantial recoil which is not helped by the steel butt plate.

I watch the Alaskan shows on TV. One of the ladies in a family on one of the shows is from an Alaskan native tribe. During the episodes she is often hunting Caribou and other game using a Mosin Nagant. She has bagged several animals with the gun.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Did someone say 1947 ?

Regardless of the model 1947 is a collectable year. PU snipers, ex-snipers, and 91/30's are rare, M44's , it was the 2nd lowest production year for them at Izhevsk ( 43 was lower)

47 PU sniper
    47 ex-sniper
    47 91/30
    47 M44

Thank you. The comparison picture was helpful.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I missed the part where you explained why your wife said you couldn't get it? The odds of regret vary considerably, depending upon the possible answers to that question.

I held up the rifle and looked at her across the shop and she shook her head in disapproval. Should have just asked for forgiveness.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Old rifles like this can definitely be a crap shoot. Most of the ammo used in them over the years is/was corrosive ammo.

If the bore is frosty/cloudy - you can still probably shoot it and not have an issue. If it's hairy and nasty rusty brown/red/orange throughout most of it, I'd pass. A few patches of it may not be an issue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DoggyDaddy reminded me to check the bore. I looked but the light in there wasn't very good.

Did you pull the bolt? (Open bolt, pull trigger and slide the bolt out the rear of the receiver.) Then you can look through it while pointing it at any light source.

Did you go ahead and get the rifle? :)

While I don't always have one with me at gun shops, I always carry a bore light when I go to shows. I also carry a few of these with me, since at some shows, the bolt might be zip-tied shut. Snap one to activate, then you can drop it down the bore and look that way. Comes in handy for semi-autos and pumps too, especially if you don't have a bore light.

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I went to the shop to pick up the Mosin. They were at an outdoor sale so I called, had a card. It's sold. So won't be getting into a Mosin. Thanks everyone for your help.

Top Bottom