• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I was in there this weekend. Lots of ammo on the shelves in every caliber...prices were disgusting. 250 round UMC 9mm valpak for $169.99????

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I stopped in the Gander in Evansville after a trip to Harley and they had boxes of ammo in every space on the shelves, the prices were really out there though.
    I remember someone mentioning a price match there so I thought I'd try.
    Apparently, the ammo you want to match has to been in stock for them to match it.

WTF, if it was in stock somewhere else, why the freak would I waste my time trying to get it for that price at your store.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I was in there last thursday - the one in castleton and saw the same thing, I took it to the register and asked them to check the price and it rang up 69.99..... I took it.. should have gone back for the other on the shelf..

I was in there this weekend. Lots of ammo on the shelves in every caliber...prices were disgusting. 250 round UMC 9mm valpak for $169.99????

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I was in there last thursday - the one in castleton and saw the same thing, I took it to the register and asked them to check the price and it rang up 69.99..... I took it.. should have gone back for the other on the shelf..

Now that price makes a little more sense, Walmart wants about $20+/- for the 100ct. 9mm WWB, so that's not a horrible price for 250 rounds, especially considering the source. I am forever in awe of the horrible prices Gander Mtn. asks on their ammo, I'd never pay it.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Now that price makes a little more sense, Walmart wants about $20+/- for the 100ct. 9mm WWB, so that's not a horrible price for 250 rounds, especially considering the source. I am forever in awe of the horrible prices Gander Mtn. asks on their ammo, I'd never pay it.
    I have quit shopping there because of it. About 4 months ago when ammo was scarce and really high. I asked the manager at County Line, "What are you going to do when Cabela's comes?" He said, "Oh, I guess we will just have to price match." That showed me that they have it marked up absurdly and they will continue to do so now because Cablea's isn't coming at all. Under normal circumstances I would not say this at all, but I say go to the Outdoorsman on 135. They have a real good variety and their gunsmith is a real nice guy (Doug Houshour) Anything else that you want to check on is up to you..This is just about ammo.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Have been in Gander at Castleton twice within the past week, once just browsing and the second time because I was curious as to whether all the ammo I saw the first time had been scarfed up. It hadn't been all sold, prices were semi-reasonable and the selection was good - they even had a few boxes of .38 Super and I don't remeber the last time I saw .38 Super in a retail store, even before the ongoing ammo market madness.

Sidebar: they also had a S & W Model 27 Classic that I was drooling over, but wanted major bucks for it.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Sidebar: they also had a S & W Model 27 Classic that I was drooling over, but wanted major bucks for it.

That's just it, they've typically been able to keep a lot of guns and ammo in stock, they had their fair share of scarcity during the "Obama rush", but what they had in stock was grossly overpriced. They've got much more in stock now, but they still have ridiculous prices. I commented once about the prices to a firearms counter person, to which he replied "Well, we've got it in stock, don't we?" I said yes, of course you have them in stock, because no educated person would pay these prices. He kind of scoffed, but he didn't offer a rebuttal, I think he knew better.

Top Bottom