• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Made it back to the range with the Dan Wesson and the Ruger GP100 & the Taurus Tracker 990.
    I shot another target but didn't post it but here is the 40':

nsE28CX.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Been neglecting the .22LR revolver(s) lately b/c of concentrating on trimming other guns.
    Ironically, after trimming down to 1 revolver, this magnificent 8" Dan Wesson, I have acquired 2 other .22LRs just for fun.
    A $250 1962 Hi-Standard 9 shot nickel plated revolver & a Ruger LCR 2" D/A only (for trigger control practice).
    The Hi-Standard has a unbelievable D/A trigger pull (must be 30#) :dunno:.

Here is a 30' target using both the S/A & D/A of both.
    Surprised at the D/A on both of them.
    9 rounds each target. S/A on top; D/A on the bottom. DW on left; HS on right.
    SWpVZxr.jpg

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Been neglecting the .22LR revolver(s) lately b/c of concentrating on trimming other guns.
    Ironically, after trimming down to 1 revolver, this magnificent 8" Dan Wesson, I have acquired 2 other .22LRs just for fun.
    A $250 1962 Hi-Standard 9 shot nickel plated revolver & a Ruger LCR 2" D/A only (for trigger control practice).
    The Hi-Standard has a unbelievable D/A trigger pull (must be 30#) :dunno:.

Here is a 30' target using both the S/A & D/A of both.
    Surprised at the D/A on both of them.
    9 rounds each target. S/A on top; D/A on the bottom. DW on left; HS on right.
    SWpVZxr.jpg

Wow! That old Hi-Standard really held it's own against the Dan Wesson and for quite a bit less money invested too.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Wow! That old Hi-Standard really held it's own against the Dan Wesson and for quite a bit less money invested too.

Yes, that's what I thought & was surprised!
    Now I'll never be able to sell it, and I only bought it to play with for a bit, as is my habit, then pass the savings along.
    The nickel was so eye-catching: couldn't help myself!
    I'd love to have some fun and get wood grips for it: the "stainless steel" look (but only nickel) with wood is classic in my eyes, I'm a sucker for it.

Especially shooting in D/A mode, I'm not kidding about the 30# pull: it is outrageous!
    I didn't expect any accuracy in D/A mode at all from the H. ST. , but apparently my practicing D/A trigger pull with a couple of guns paid off a little.
    I remember the Sig 250 .22LR semi-auto being one & didn't even know it was D/A only when I bought it. I just bought it b/c it was a Sig. :dunno:
    I must mention the D/A on the Dan Wesson is as smooth as butter to me, and I've had nearly all the .22LR revolvers out there: SWEET tigger!

I wouldn't have bought this H. ST. except all the spent shells expel at once, not one at a time, despite how it looks.
    You pull the "plunger" toward the end of the barrel and the cylinder pops out.
    g3Es75M.jpg

Last edited:

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Some pretty nice DA shooting. I have a Taurus 96 DA revolver but can't see the sights anymore , tried two different Weigand mounts and had no luck with them mounting properly. I may end up with a Smith 617 and something like a Vortex Venom. I admit to shooting very little DA revolver.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My favorite revolver, the 8" barrel Dan Wesson does continue to get neglected, but I did manage to get some rounds through it today.
    I didn't see well with the OEM green optic on it and bought a red one and have wanted to try it out.
    I can see the red wonderfully, but the red fiber optic is encased in a metal housing and it gets taller as you get to the end of its length (toward the end of the front sight & end of barrel.

The black housing sticks up higher than the red optic and gets in the way of using the red to sight in the target.
    You have to use the black housing to aim at the target b/c if you use the red, you cannot see the target.
    Good enough for steel shooting, but not accuracy.
    Not sure how to deal with it: the target will show my experimenting with the elevation.

Using a rest is not bad, but shooting free hand really reveals how my eyes/hands are why people make the remark that the gun shoots better than they can.
    6C3nQGq.jpg

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I don't know what I would do if I only had one .22 revolver...Cry I guess...Mope around....Feel sorry for myself...Get ragged on by Kirk Freeman....

You're a very courageous man to sally forth with just one .22 revolver.....

You're not thinking clearly, if you only had one you would buy another :yesway:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You're not thinking clearly, if you only had one you would buy another :yesway:

Valid point! :thumbsup:
    I sold my "good" revolvers (Ruger SP100 & Taurus Tracker 990), and many others that were accurate, but nothing shot like this "great" Dan Wesson 54 oz, 8" barrel.
    I had a couple of great H & R revolvers that I had, but I really enjoy this Dan Wesson. :rockwoot:
    The .22LR revolver is one of the few areas that I'm satisfied with & am not looking to improve it. :dunno:

Top Bottom