• ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Here is an example of a scenario that has been brought up here before:

Alleged theft turns into dangerous situation between four men, two handguns in Boise | News Updates | Idaho Statesman

Boise Police de-escalated a petit theft that turned into a dangerous situation with four men and two handguns.

Just after 1:15 p.m. Friday, Boise Police received a call of a man with a gun near Americana Boulevard and River Street. Multiple officers arrived on scene and found two men with handguns pointed at different people.

Police de-escalated and sorted out the situation, according to a Friday release.

Police said the original suspect, later identified as John Dickey, had allegedly stolen personal property from a victim at a nearby homeless shelter. The suspect fled on foot traveling east on River Street. As the victim chased on foot, a third man intervened the chase, produced a handgun and ordered the suspect to stop.

The suspect was on the ground and held at gunpoint when another person, who also had a concealed weapons permit, saw the situation, intervened and demanded the other man drop his gun. Officers then arrived on scene, according to the release.

Police said the original theft suspect is in custody. No other citations have been issued and information on the incident is forwarded to the Ada County Prosecutor’s Office for review.

“We caution all citizens to think carefully before intervening in a potentially dangerous situation without knowing what is actually taking place. Although we are pleased that the theft suspect is in custody the situation could have easily turned into something much worse in this busy part of town,” said Boise Police Lt. Ron Winegar. “Our concern is always primarily for the safety of the citizens of Boise and the last thing we would want to see is someone seriously injured.”

While it turned out fine here, make sure you have at least a little bit of an idea what's going on before jumping head-long into a "situation".

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    It's very late and I'm not sure if i read this correctly, but someone with a "permit" ordered the suspect down with his weapon, and yet another person came in and ordered the person aiming the firearm, who also had a "permit" to drop THEIR weapon? (not word for word, just trying to get the "just" of it.)

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    I'd say that the first permit holder was the one largely at fault here. Why run after someone for someone else's things? You are a permit holder, not a cop. (well LICENSE holder in indiana)

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    It's very late and I'm not sure if i read this correctly, but someone with a "permit" ordered the suspect down with his weapon, and yet another person came in and ordered the person aiming the firearm, who also had a "permit" to drop THEIR weapon? (not word for word, just trying to get the "just" of it.)

That's what it sounds like.

:dunno:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'd say that the first permit holder was the one largely at fault here. Why run after someone for someone else's things? You are a permit holder, not a cop. (well LICENSE holder in indiana)

I agree, very dangerous. Not a cop, well, unless you have one of those Concealed Weapon Permit badge. :D

heavybadge.jpg

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Things could have gotten real ugly there. Perfect example of why extreme caution should be used before intervening in any situation, if that's the decision an armed private citizen wants to make. That's why my default position is to make sure me and mine are safe, call the cops and be a good witness.

I'm interested in what course of action, if any, the prosecutor takes with respect to the two "heroes."

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Just to add to this I remember reading once of a "good samaritan" who stepped into save a girl being raped he shot the attacker and then learned that the girl was a hooker, man was undercover cop trying to make an arrest, and she was yelling rape to get some unwitting person to come to her aid.
    The man was charged with murder. (Don't know how it turned out.) Yet another reason to not dive in. Not saying I wouldn't. Just that there is a time and place for everything.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    All good viewpoints. Why pursue and insert yourself into a situation that (on the surface) does not in any way effect you? Years ago in a vacation spot far-away my wife and I were enjoying a few drinks in a bar. Soon an argument ensued and two guys (with a gal in the middle) began fighting. My first reaction was to pay my bill and LEAVE. Wife asks why I didn't get involved (to somehow PROTECT the female). I said "Why am I going to get between two dudes fighting over a woman? I don't know any of them, they were all drunk, and I would have at least received a few punches. Then to defend myself from further injury, I'd have to punch back or subdue one/two (doubtful). If I injured one/two of them, then I'd have to secure the services of an attorney. Then undoubtedly have to take time out of my precious day to make all of the court appearances, not to mention that IF I was injured I'd have the medical bills to pay."

Wisely she kissed me and said "You did the right thing and have obviously thought this through!"

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Just to add to this I remember reading once of a "good samaritan" who stepped into save a girl being raped he shot the attacker and then learned that the girl was a hooker, man was undercover cop trying to make an arrest, and she was yelling rape to get some unwitting person to come to her aid.
    The man was charged with murder. (Don't know how it turned out.) Yet another reason to not dive in. Not saying I wouldn't. Just that there is a time and place for everything.

Boy, that would be a tough one. I would not pull a gun to stop some little robbery (unless they were in my home) but to stop a rape? That falls within what I'd call "a good reason".

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I agree, very dangerous. Not a cop, well, unless you have one of those Concealed Weapon Permit badge. :D

heavybadge.jpg

They have an updated model now.

REVCarry_Badge.jpg

:laugh:

Things could have gotten real ugly there. Perfect example of why extreme caution should be used before intervening in any situation, if that's the decision an armed private citizen wants to make. That's why my default position is to make sure me and mine are safe, call the cops and be a good witness...........

THIS /\

Isn't it true that you can intervene and make an arrest if a felony is in progress?
    You better be sure or you can and will be sued for false arrest.

speeddemon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    They have an updated model now.

REVCarry_Badge.jpg

:laugh:

THIS /

Isn't it true that you can intervene and make an arrest if a felony is in progress?
    You better be sure or you can and will be sued for false arrest.

lol @ the badges,

i agree, id make sure myself and anybody with me were safe

Top Bottom