• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    If they can declare meat packing plants essential and keep them open, well truckers don't stand a chance.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Federal officers in Portland suffered 113 eye injuries from lasers, DHS official says

"reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm"

[STRIKE]Anyone know where you can buy laser-resistant goggles?[/STRIKE]

I've moved discussion of laser-resistant goggles to a separate thread.

I'm not buying any laser-resistant goggles, as my propensity to avoid large gatherings of neanderthals leaves my chances of being attacked with a laser about the same as my chances of getting a handie from Salma Hayek.

But in the event that someone does point a laser at me, I will consider it a deadly threat. Lots of laser-sighted firearms out there, and if my vision is somewhat compromised at the time, a fear of serious bodily injury or death is reasonable. A Glock 19 should serve as a convenient remote off-switch for said laser.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Keep your head moving while trying to locate the laser(s). Do not stay still and look at it. If you gave them a stationary target you could suffer more damage than if you give them a moving target.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I know a few INGO'ers who think that they both deserve it, so there's that.

:coffee:

The problem with that view - and the reason that asserting the distinction between a democracy and a constitutional republic is important - is that, being a constitutional republic, rather than a democracy, we live under the Rule of Law, not mob rule. The Rule of Law protects the rights of the minority against infringement by the majority-mob, regardless of how that majority-mob votes.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    The problem with that view - and the reason that asserting the distinction between a democracy and a constitutional republic is important - is that, being a constitutional republic, rather than a democracy, we live under the Rule of Law, not mob rule. The Rule of Law protects the rights of the minority against infringement by the majority-mob, regardless of how that majority-mob votes.

The rule of law avoids the Tyranny of the Majority.

What these fools believe is that they will always be holding the levers of power. When things shift, as they will, and they are no longer in charge they will NOT like having the tools they crafted used against them.

Sometimes a bad idea, an idea not held by a true majority, can get traction and become law. For a kind-of recent example that is relevant today, look at Prohibition. The majority of Americans either drank, or did not have a problem with those who do. However, no one wanted to publicly oppose the idea of temperance, and the Constitution was amended to make Prohibition the national law of the land. See how that worked out?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    It is supposed to. However it is not always effective, ie. california, virginia, etc.

Sad, but true.

What these fools believe is that they will always be holding the levers of power. When things shift, as they will, and they are no longer in charge they will NOT like having the tools they crafted used against them.

Sometimes a bad idea, an idea not held by a true majority, can get traction and become law. For a kind-of recent example that is relevant today, look at Prohibition. The majority of Americans either drank, or did not have a problem with those who do. However, no one wanted to publicly oppose the idea of temperance, and the Constitution was amended to make Prohibition the national law of the land. See how that worked out?

Prohibition is an interesting case study. In that case, it was the tyranny of the minority, imposing statist control on the majority. The attempt to legislate morality was an abject failure, doomed ultimately by mass refusal to follow an unjust law.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It is supposed to. However it is not always effective, ie. california, virginia, etc.

yup

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom