• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    hi all - I'm wondering if anyone has input about fox numbers vs. coyote numbers in southern and central IN??
    It SEEMS like the coyotes are edging out the foxes, but I haven't found any statistics to support this. (up north it may be different with the grey foxes, but I'm mostly referring to red fox)
    All I can find in the DNR is that the coyote population has grown immensely since the late 1970's. I suppose that this growth is at the expense of foxes and their food/habitat. Anyone have any info on this? Either stats or just personal experience?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Used to see, and hear foxes here quite often. Even had one come up on the deck a couple of times. Last year or so, heard one a couple of times and that's been it. Yotes, can't say there's more of them, but certainly not less.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I thought this was proposing which beast would win in a duel... Now I'm sad.

Agreed. I was ready to read all the "coyote would own fox" posts.

In my parts of SWI, coyotes FAR exceed fox. I wouldn't have any idea of the ratio, but in my personal experience I've seen probably 100 yotes and 1 fox.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    It SEEMS like the coyotes are edging out the foxes, but I haven't found any statistics to support this. (up north it may be different with the grey foxes, but I'm mostly referring to red fox)
    All I can find in the DNR is that the coyote population has grown immensely since the late 1970's.

I was really trying to ask if the coyotes are eating the foxes out of house and home, and taking their territory? Secondarily, I was curious if anyone knows of any actual numbers to back it up.

civilwar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Scipio
    All the info that I have found on the red fox states their lifespan is a short 2-4 years. Grey fox have a lifespan up to 10 years and Coyotes up to 15 but most taken in field studies were 10 years old or less.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    A coyote is higher on the food chain than a fox. Coyotes eat foxes for diner and groundhogs, small dogs and cats. They love rabbits also.

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    There are still fox around in NC Indiana but they are a lot more skittish because of the coyotes. Fox will come to your call but will usually be looking around for coyotes as it does. I'd be on the lookout too if I lived close to something that is looking to eat me on a daily basis.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Since my neighbors started logging, I have seen a momma red fox and 2 pups hanging around my place the last week or so. The word is out in the yote community that my place is in a bad part of the woods where yotes don't come back from :ar15:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    hi all - I'm wondering if anyone has input about fox numbers vs. coyote numbers in southern and central IN??
    All I can find in the DNR is that the coyote population has grown immensely since the late 1970's. I suppose that this growth is at the expense of foxes and their food/habitat. Anyone have any info on this? Either stats or just personal experience?
    In Northern States and areas where waterfowl nesting is critical, they found that having wolves helped the ducks. Mainly because wolves tend to kill coyotes and even foxes but don't go after birds and ducks nests and the eggs.

That study was at least 10 years ago if not more. If you look around for surveys and stats from the Northern regions you may find some info but it is a simple fact wolves help control Coyote and Fox and keep their numbers in check. Left unchecked, Coyotes tend to take over but I am not sure how much they push out Fox but the Fox loses.

Coyotes were in LA when I was there 40 years ago. The Western Region has longer running stats on the effect of the spread of Coyotes.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Im a trapper and I catch 1 red fox to about every 12 coyotes. I dont catch any grey fox.
    Most all my red fox are caught within 1 mile from towns and cities.

the fox number started to decline in the late 80 when the coyote numbers started to expload.
    The grey fox is a "timberland" animal and prefer "edges of thickets" which most farmers around here have taken out , such as the brushy fence rows and old farmstead that have over grown
    you will find more greys in the southern part of the state in and around the Hoosier National forest
    Hopefully with the logging that hass been done this will increase their habbitat and revive their numbers

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom