• ...and so much more!
  • downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I'm not defending what he did.
    My thanks for posting the above, saves me the effort of trying to figure out what the hell everyone is talking about.
    It seems to me that the man regrets his actions and has sincerely attempted to apologize both personally and publicly. What else can he do?

My short answer to your question about my wife going to class with John is Yes .
    I'll add that if this type of incident was repeated my answer would be different.

I didn't see anything innapropriate towards the ladies in this class. Tamara has already provided her assessment and she is familiar with John.

Ms. River would likely give him a run at the belt anyway. She doesn't have issues speaking up for herself.

There is an AAR from the class in question. If I can find it again, I'll post it.

Will I take his class in 2019. Yep.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I didn’t know about that incident until now. Sounds like his apologies were accepted.

John Murphy was a gentleman to my wife, and she enjoyed the class. He was also a gentleman to the other women in the class.

I don’t think a previous lapse in judgement has any impact on his ability to teach this material.

The class was excellent.

”Salty language?” - you guys are killing me here. He’s a Marine teaching people how to survive deadly encounters.

I do plan to take this class again next year. My wife too.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    My salty language comment was intended for folks who are offended by such things
    You can hear worse in any high school parking lot before the bell rings.

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I have no problem with language. I have no problems being yelled at while training. A little stress with someone using salty language at loud volumes makes it a little more realistic. I don't think I'll ever hear...sir, excuse me, may I purloin your wallet and will you allow me to physically assault you until you comply with my demands. Thank You

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Riverman67, Downrange72, & Coach - Ooops, I KNOW you guys aren't offended by language.

I guess I meant that if a person decides not to take this class because they might hear an Fbomb of two, they are probably missing the whole point.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    The female student never made any claims about John using foul language. Her complaint was that he made several direct, lewd, sexual references directly at her. And then asked her out to dinner later that night. Never once did I bring up f-bombs as a problem. I don't care if he used foul language in his classes-that's not what this is about. This is about an instructor in a position of authority trying to get in the pants of a female student-when he should be worried about teaching. Completely unacceptable.

This is about an instructor who offered a free class to a female new to shooting and then made sexual comments directly towards her. I honestly don't care if any of you have had positive experiences with John, that doesn't over shadow what he did to the female student. I'm not saying that he make sexual comments to every female student (although I have good reason to believe there are more examples of this with John).

I know this will go round and round, so I'm comfortable with what I have said. I am also happy to know that several people on here who teach do not feel the need to distance themselves from this kind of behavior-and will even host someone like John at their range. It will make it easier for me when I consider local training in the future, as far as knowing where I can spend my training dollars (or not spend my money).

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The female student never made any claims about John using foul language. Her complaint was that he made several direct, lewd, sexual references directly at her. And then asked her out to dinner later that night. Never once did I bring up f-bombs as a problem. I don't care if he used foul language in his classes-that's not what this is about. This is about an instructor in a position of authority trying to get in the pants of a female student-when he should be worried about teaching. Completely unacceptable.

This is about an instructor who offered a free class to a female new to shooting and then made sexual comments directly towards her. I honestly don't care if any of you have had positive experiences with John, that doesn't over shadow what he did to the female student. I'm not saying that he make sexual comments to every female student (although I have good reason to believe there are more examples of this with John).

I know this will go round and round, so I'm comfortable with what I have said. I am also happy to know that several people on here who teach do not feel the need to distance themselves from this kind of behavior-and will even host someone like John at their range. It will make it easier for me when I consider local training in the future, as far as knowing where I can spend my training dollars (or not spend my money).[/QUOTE

Ironic high moral tone from a Yeager student.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    ZsJ60Zj.png

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    Ultimately the market will decide whether this type of conduct will be condoned, or not. It appears that several people here are willing to host him knowing the situation, and that is their prerogative. I don't have to train with them (and won't) and my daughters don't have to train with them (and won't).

On a positive note---there are lots of excellent trainers out there, male and female, who understand why students are there---and work hard to make the students better. The ocean of great trainers is DEEP and we are all better for it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Ironic high moral tone from someone who hosted a firearms instructor that made sexual advances toward a female student.
    Apologies were made. Apologies were accepted. Wrongs were acknowledged by John.

As I said earlier. Let him without blame or fault cast the first stone. Perhaps we can be as perfect as you at some point.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but that doesn't always stops me from interjecting my opinion. Heh.

We know that an apology was made by the transgressor for his actions and words in which he admitted to doing wrong without excuses.

We have documentation of acceptance of the apology by the person who was directly affected by the actions and words in question.

We do not have evidence that the actions and words by Mr. Murphy represent a pattern of ongoing behavior.

At this point, if those who are offended on behalf of someone else continue to pursue this, it suggests that there is more to the story. It raises questions about the actual motives of the critics and accusers.

I also note that alleging that hosting someone to teach a class is equivalent to "condoning" a past act by that person is a ludicrous non-sequitur at best.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Ultimately the market will decide whether this type of conduct will be condoned, or not.

It is not condoned, even...especially...by the initial perpetrator.

The subsequent virtue signaling is illuminating, though, and affirms my own decision to minimize contact with internet gun fora.

Facta, non verba.

See y'all...well, some of y'all...on the range.

Top Bottom