Fracking poll. Is it safe for the enviroment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is fracking a serious threat to our enviroment based on your current understandi

• Total voters

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Based on my current knowledge of "fracking", meaning I won't even google the word, I'd say it has no effect on the environment as long as contraception is used. :naughty:

Without contraception, fracking may lead to unwanted byproducts running rampant in the streets and possibly effecting the environment.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You realize the results from this poll are gonna be completely random, right?

You asked the question one way in the title of the thread, "Is fraking safe?", and the opposite way in the poll itself, "Is fraking a danger?" I almost answered the poll yes, understanding the question to be the one in the title, then I read the poll proper and so answered no.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You realize the results from this poll are gonna be completely random, right?

You asked the question one way in the title of the thread, "Is fraking safe?", and the opposite way in the poll itself, "Is fraking a danger?" I almost answered the poll yes, understanding the question to be the one in the title, then I read the poll proper and so answered no.
    Maybe he did it on purpose to ensure a poll answered by arm chair scientists is sufficiently randomized? :) I don't know enough to answer either way and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one else does either. When I say no one I'm not just limiting to members of this board. The process hasn't been around very long and a lot of people are voting based on their "gut feeling" which is a terrible way to make a decision. It will take many more years before we can say definitively and even then I'm sure there will be people who still believe it is bad even if it is proven safe because they reject reality and substitute their own.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Sadly, When I read the post title My initial thought was "I hate that they say it all the time on Battlestar Galactica, but I don't see how it has anything to do with the environment" Geek flag flying today...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yea it is very bad for the environment but if theres money in it we all know it will remain legal!
    I would love for you to provide some SCIENTIFIC PROOF of this statement.

Here are some things to think about:

Harvard Professor Says Fracking Good for Environment | Fox Business Video
    Re-thinking the Fracking Debate - Harvard - Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs
    Harvard Eco-Activist vs. FracFocus: Duping the Media ? MasterResource

And for those who don't want to actually read, watch the film: FrackNation: A Feature Documentary

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Safe for the environment? Sure. All we are doing is moving material from one layer of the crust to another. I doubt the "environment" really cares.

Safe for humans? Probably not. We don't usually like volatiles in our water and food supplies. CAN it be done with minimal risk? Sure. Could it also be a disaster? Of course. That's ONE thing us humans are good at.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't know enough to answer either way and I'm going to go out on a limb and say that no one else does either. When I say no one I'm not just limiting to members of this board. The process hasn't been around very long and a lot of people are voting based on their "gut feeling" which is a terrible way to make a decision.

This. In the meantime, I'll trust the engineers and assorted scientists, review boards, etc. Can it cause problems? I guess, but name one energy source that doesn't. Even the windmills smoke birds off. When I see proof its more dangerous than the rewards are worth, I'll get worked up. Until then I'll trust the experts to be just that.

Top Bottom