• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    What are your thoughts on doing frame mods to your EDC gun? My EDC is a Glock 19. I have three modifications in mind:
    1) I would like to do some stippling to the frame for increased traction.
    2) I would like to do a little trimming on the trigger guard to enable myself to get higher up on the grip
    3) I plan to cut out a half moon style shape in the bottom of each side of the grip for the purpose of stripping out a stuck magazine.

What concerns do you guys have in regards to modifying the frame of your EDC? I know, generally, that the rule of thumb for EDC guns is to leave the internals stock which works well for me because I have no desire to modify those parts anyhow. How about the external parts of the firearm?

Thanks for the help guys.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Why would it matter if you change things on your gun? As long as it's not illegal then go for it. Internal/external whatever.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    Why would it matter if you change things on your gun? As long as it's not illegal then go for it. Internal/external whatever.

I have heard that some people worry about scrutiny in court if they were ever in a situation where they used a modified gun in self defense. I usually hear people voicing these concerns when it comes to trigger modifications, not frame mods but I wanted to see what the great people of INGO thought.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I haven't done it yet, but I plan on putting an APEX trigger kit on my Shield. If I ever need to use it in self defense and have to justify it in court I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

My opinion, obviously.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have heard that some people worry about scrutiny in court if they were ever in a situation where they used a modified gun in self defense. I usually hear people voicing these concerns when it comes to trigger modifications, not frame mods but I wanted to see what the great people of INGO thought.

You'll "hear" a lot of this, but no one will ever be able to cite examples of it actually occurring. A good shoot is a good shoot whether it's a Bryco that actually managed to get a shot off, or a $7000 full-custom race gun.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    You'll "hear" a lot of this, but no one will ever be able to cite examples of it actually occurring. A good shoot is a good shoot whether it's a Bryco that actually managed to get a shot off, or a $7000 full-custom race gun.

That is my thought as well. I have yet to hear anyone cite a real example but still thought i would run it by INGO

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    It's your gun, go with whatever mods you desire. Keep in mind it may affect the value of the gun should you ever decide to sell or trade it. The mods may make it worth more to some people, to others less.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I have heard "people" say the same thing. IMO, modifications that let you better control your gun and your shots are a positive, and any lawyer would be able to argue that those modifications were made so that you can ensure that you hit what you want and only what you want. Now, if you are modifying your trigger so that the pull is .5lbs and you end up having a ND or worse, than I could see that going against you.

It's your gun, go with whatever mods you desire. Keep in mind it may affect the value of the gun should you ever decide to sell or trade it. The mods may make it worth more to some people, to others less.

This as well. I almost didn't buy my M&P because it had been stippled. Gotta think of the other guys skin particles getting stuck in those holes.... :puke:

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville

If I ever had a gun I would never trade or sell it would be my Glock 19. Not a "Glock or nothing" guy by any means. It is just one of those guns to me that is purely a tool. It is my workhorse. If the mods increase its value to me that is all I care about in regards to this gun. Other guns, I can see where value would be a concern.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    I have heard "people" say the same thing. IMO, modifications that let you better control your gun and your shots are a positive, and any lawyer would be able to argue that those modifications were made so that you can ensure that you hit what you want and only what you want. Now, if you are modifying your trigger so that the pull is .5lbs and you end up having a ND or worse, than I could see that going against you.

This as well. I almost didn't buy my M&P because it had been stippled. Gotta think of the other guys skin particles getting stuck in those holes.... :puke:

Haha! Well thankfully for me I bought my G19 brand new so it will only have my skin particles getting stuck in those holes.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    All three mods that you are referring to are very practical. I might suggest having someone experienced do them for you though.

Justin727

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    Bargersville
    All three mods that you are referring to are very practical. I might suggest having someone experienced do them for you though.

Do you have a recommendation?

I picked up a soldering iron and practiced on a PMAG tonight. I consider myself pretty detail oriented but after working on the PMAG I dont know that I would ever want to stipple a gun myself. The PMAG actually looks pretty good for being my first time but potentially messing up a 14 dollar mag is not big deal compared to a firearm.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Go for it. Getting ready to cut down my G17, remove the finger bumps. Possibly going to do a grip reduction and undercut the trigger guard. Going to do it in phases so we will see where this goes.

Bob

Top Bottom