• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    No and no for me too. As early as I can remember, there were loaded guns around the house. My father used to shoot crows pretty regularly and take out varmints who were nosing around our garden. I got my first gun around age 25 or 26.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I recieved a .410 shotgun, around age 15 or 16, started reloading a year later, and then recieved a .22 rifle, a year later... Took my first training class, and then purchased my first handgun, at the age of 21 .....

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was never freaked out by guns, but then again I was exposed to them when I was very young when some relatives would get drunk and shoot the empty beer bottles. Hey, at the time I was a kid and had no clue that drunk rednecks plus firearms equals bad news...

My wife, on the other hand, was petrified of guns until she took the NRA basic pistol class. Now she's actually a bit excited to hit the range soon.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Only really got into guns when I found out about Mosins only ($80 for a rifle?! AWESOME), I waited seven months to get my first one and in that seven months I learned lots about gun safety and safe operations. Also learned a lot about the law. Because of me dad has a pink paper in his wallet and a 5906 his name is on but my money financed on his side. I was afraid of guns when I was younger though. I remember being petrified about these people shooting trap. I thought they were going to kill me, I was like four so don't dogpile me :facepalm: :flamethrower:

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Never been freaked out. Dad let me shoot my first gun pretty young ( 410ga ). Unfortunately we didnt get to see each other a lot so I really didn't get to start shooting until I turned 18. Parents were fine with it. Plus I was taught to respect them.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    Just kidding, I'm not freaked out by firearms. Seems like most people who haven't used one are, though. Which brings me to these questions:

Were any of you freaked out the first time you shot a gun?

I put off going to the range with my buddy for quite a while simply because I was kind of nervous about all the stuff I've heard on the news about shooting deaths. When I got to the range, I was probably even more freaked out since I started hearing gunshots (never heard one up until then) lol. After I started shooting, I thought it was the coolest thing ever and that's how I found these forums.

Were any of you freaked out about the first gun you brought into your home?

So now that I've had some experience with guns, I'm obviously not freaked out about them. So naturally I want to get a handgun. HOWEVER...I keep getting **** from everyone telling me all of these random statistics about most firearms deaths being from the persons own gun, higher rates of suicide amongst gun owners, about no matter how careful you are "it only needs to happen once" and a bunch of other things.

I do know owning a firearm is a large responsibility, which I'm confident I can handle, but I'm curious about your (first) experiences with firearms. :)

Were any of you freaked out the first time you shot a gun? Yes, i had never shot before, only heard gunshots on TV.

Were any of you freaked out about the first gun you brought into your home? My cats didnt seem to mind. One of them even helped me tear it down.

I havent been seriously into guns very long. 4 years maybe and it wasnt until a couple years ago that I actually bought one.

and that's how I found these forums.
    and I thought you found these forums because I pointed you here. :D ;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Although my father had a gun or two around I never knew it. My mom was very nervous about having guns around so they never saw the light of day. The only gun I fired before entering the service was a Sears .410 I used for rabbit hunting as a teenager. I can't remember how I got started hunting but I know my dad gave me that gun. Wish I still had it. It had a little lever safety over the bolt. The lever had to be pushed forward for it to fire and, evidently, the spring was broken or worn out so I had to actually apply pressure in order to shoot. Since I shoot long guns left handed it was probably pretty comical watching me shoot that gun with my right hand holding the lever over the bolt and my left hand on the trigger. Still makes me smile.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The only time I "freaked out" or more accurately, was surprised after shooting a gun was when I was shooting a buddy's Judge. He said he had loaded it with all .45 LCs but the last shot was a .410 and it surprised me.

I bought a gun because I wanted to. I brought it home because I wanted to. Why would it freak me out? I also didn't tell anyone I bought a gun. I made sure my brother was fine with it since I live with the guy, but my parents don't know. The majority of my family that I am close with don't know. Only 3 of my friends know and one is a cop

Damean-m44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    N.W. Indiana
    i never took classes or anything like that but i was never worried or scared to shoot. the first thing i did was do some research on my gun. like how to take it apart clean it and i got very comfortable with it.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    No and no, learned responsibility about guns early. I was freaked out the first time I went in to a gun shop and priced a new gun though.

Top Bottom