• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What should happen if someone falsely yells "Fire!" in a crowded theatre?

• Total voters

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So, I should be able to fire hundreds of rounds into the air with my AR. It's victimless until someone is hit. And then they must prove it was me doing it. If I can get all my neighbors to fire into the air, it will be really hard to prove whose bullet caused it. And the cops must stand by until they have an actual victim.

Pass the bong and let's order some more pizza and wish we could get a girl to go out with us. After all, we're really, really smart guys.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    I got arrested for yelling RAMBONE in the theater.

Luckily, once I threatened with his presence at court, they took their boot of my neck and bought me some lottery tickets.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    In fact, how about a federal law that bans shooting your firearms in any location except a federally approved and inspected firing range.

Can't have our great civilization turned into the wild west, now can we?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So, I should be able to fire hundreds of rounds into the air with my AR. It's victimless until someone is hit. And then they must prove it was me doing it. If I can get all my neighbors to fire into the air, it will be really hard to prove whose bullet caused it. And the cops must stand by until they have an actual victim.

Make it about property rights and it makes sense. Unless the bullets are disappearing into the stratosphere, they are returning to earth on someone's property. That makes your careless act a property rights violation at best, and at worst could result in someone's death. So no, I don't call that act victimless, unless your projectiles return to earth on your own property.

An example would be duck hunting. The hunter should ensure that his projectiles are not reaching another person's land, or he would be infringing their right to that property.

Base laws around property, and actual victims, instead of some arbitrary presumption of risk.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Make it about property rights and it makes sense. Unless the bullets are disappearing into the stratosphere, they are returning to earth on someone's property. That makes your careless act a property rights violation at best, and at worst could result in someone's death. So no, I don't call that act victimless, unless your projectiles return to earth on your own property.

An example would be duck hunting. The hunter should ensure that his projectiles are not reaching another person's land, or he would be infringing their right to that property.

Until they could prove my projectiles were landing on their property, it would be victimless, though, right?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Instead let's toss around scenarios that never happen as proof that we need more nanny state intervention.

And who said, "we need more nanny state intervention?" Everyone with a lick of sense has said that yelling fire in crowded theatre, recklessly endangering those within, is a crime, and has always been a crime. Where did the nanny state strawman come from?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Pass the bong and let's order some more pizza and wish we could get a girl to go out with us. After all, we're really, really smart guys.

Isn't that really what INGO is all about? Having a few laughs and discussing philosophy, trying to change the world, one forum post at a time. ;)

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    And who said, "we need more nanny state intervention?" Everyone with a lick of sense has said that yelling fire in crowded theatre, recklessly endangering those within, is a crime, and has always been a crime. Where did the nanny state strawman come from?

Everyone who thinks we need the government to tell us what we can say, what we can smoke, eat, drink, drive, shoot, build etc. Even when we are doing no harm to anyone.

If you read the politics section much you will realize that it certainly isn't a strawman.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Everyone who thinks we need the government to tell us what we can say, what we can smoke, eat, drink, drive, shoot, build etc. Even when we are doing no harm to anyone.

If you read the politics section much you will realize that it certainly isn't a strawman.

Yell "fire" in your own damn house and I think everybody is OK with it. Context is all.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Both are reckless endangerment, if you shout "fire" in a crowded theatre without justification you could harm property and people so, ipso facto, it meets your requirement. Are you saying if one shoots at a group of schoolchildren, and damages only one's own property then it would be OK? Haven't hurt anyone, no victim, right?

If we armed our children like responsible adults should, this kind of scenario would never play out.

Top Bottom