• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    ok guys and gals ive got for sale in vermillion county FRESH FREEZER BEEF taking them in as we get them sold .Price is on the hanging carcass weight of $2.25/lb plus processing cost pm me any questions NO PICS just some good home raised beef no implants just fed corn and hay this is as close to organic as you could ask

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I already have an order in with a local farm near myself, but I would encourage everyone to jump on this. The price is competitive and there is no way you can beat it at the grocery stores. You get everything from ground beef to T-bone steaks for so much cheaper even after figuring in the processing costs. Over the next year, you will save hundreds of dollars on meat costs by taking this opportunity.

I'm not sure which processor you are using but most processors even dry age the beef before they give it you. Dry aged steak! This is something you can't get except for high end butchers or high end restaurants like St. Elmo's.

All of this plus you are supporting small Indiana farmers and processors. How can you go wrong?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I hate to be a bonehead but why don't you give us an idea of total cost for a cow, processing and how much meat we get back. I get lost with pricing. I have been wanting to start buying my beef and pork this way, but not sure about pricing. Use a 1000 pound live cow for example.

Is hanging carcass weight after it is gutted and skinned and what would a 1000 lb cow weigh after gutted and skinned?

Is .40 a lb. for live weight or skinned and gutted? How much is a cow per pound live?

I know this is a lot of questions but many of us would like to go this route but have no idea what we end up with and how much per pound.

Thanks for info.

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    It is really hard to give someone a price until it is at the processor or at least it is for me. Until I drop my cow off I don't know the exact weight of them. My processor has always told me that carcass weight it about 60-65% of the live weight. Carcass weight is after it is gutted, skinned, and mostly bleed out. This is just meat and bones at this point. So lets say my cow weighs 1500 pounds live weight. That is about 900 pounds for carcass weight. If the farmer charges $2.25/lb you are looking at $2025. Then the processor charges $.40/lb carcass weight that is $360. Once the cow is wrapped and ready for the freezer you get back anywhere from 50-55% of live weight. If you get back 50% of the cow you now have 750 pounds of clean ready to eat meat. The total cost is about $2385 for 750 of meat which equates to $3.18 a pound for meat that is in my opinion 1000 times better then you will buy in a store. The percentages are just a example of what I have seen on my cows and this could very depending on the cow. Also the price for the processing could change depending how you have it processed. If you get 1 lb per bundle of burger or 2 lb's per bundle and if you get 4 steaks per pack or 2. I hope this help some of you out and I am not trying to step on the sellers toes at all. I personally think this is a good deal and if I didn't raise my own I would buy one.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    It is really hard to give someone a price until it is at the processor or at least it is for me. Until I drop my cow off I don't know the exact weight of them. My processor has always told me that carcass weight it about 60-65% of the live weight. Carcass weight is after it is gutted, skinned, and mostly bleed out. This is just meat and bones at this point. So lets say my cow weighs 1500 pounds live weight. That is about 900 pounds for carcass weight. If the farmer charges $2.25/lb you are looking at $2025. Then the processor charges $.40/lb carcass weight that is $360. Once the cow is wrapped and ready for the freezer you get back anywhere from 50-55% of live weight. If you get back 50% of the cow you now have 750 pounds of clean ready to eat meat. The total cost is about $2385 for 750 of meat which equates to $3.18 a pound for meat that is in my opinion 1000 times better then you will buy in a store. The percentages are just a example of what I have seen on my cows and this could very depending on the cow. Also the price for the processing could change depending how you have it processed. If you get 1 lb per bundle of burger or 2 lb's per bundle and if you get 4 steaks per pack or 2. I hope this help some of you out and I am not trying to step on the sellers toes at all. I personally think this is a good deal and if I didn't raise my own I would buy one.

I've been buying my beef this way for a few years now, and Chevelle's low down on how it works out is right on the mark.

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My family has been raising, eating, and selling beef this way for years. This by far the best meat. I'm not sure about the cost but we always did it because it was my grandpa's hobby. The meat is definitely different than what you find in the store, in a good way. I always enjoy the fact that I know what goes into getting the beef ready. Kind of like growing your own garden...which we do also.

Top Bottom