Friend is a disabled felon, options to re-enable?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I have a buddy that lost his rights for being a dummy with drugs when he was 18. He's been clean and clear for a few years now, served his time, now married, 2 sweet kids. He wants to be enabled to protect his family (and plink with me :)). What are all his options?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It really isn't a matter of 2a. Post conviction relief is not easy. There's another thread with more info.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    In NWI you don't need a pro-2a attorney, you need a politically connected one. If you can find one that's not under indictment.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks, we'll see what we can do. Oh, by 2a I meant a lawyer that's not anti-gun and would really try. Make sense?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I have a buddy that lost his rights for being a dummy with drugs when he was 18. He's been clean and clear for a few years now, served his time, now married, 2 sweet kids. He wants to be enabled to protect his family (and plink with me :)). What are all his options?

What's a "few years?" INNAL, but if it's anything less than 5, I think he would have one hell of a time.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    He'll need to apply for "Alternative Misdemeanor Sentencing". It's where the court reduces his felony to a misd conviction. He would have to petition the court and answer questions about his life and how he's an upstanding citizen now. It's up to the judge.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Good luck but a lot of this is going to depend on the kind of felony crime he committed, a class D is easier to get dealt with than a class A. Someone else already said if he's not be out of prison for at least 5 years with no infractions, he might as well hold off on it for now. He'll need some money, a well connected lawyer, and the patience of Job.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I don't think it's been 5 yet since he served time. We just want to get an idea of what he can do once some time has passed and he gets more money.

Top Bottom