Friend's workplace is implementing "random bag checks" due to issues with theft.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Worked for decades at a multinational Corp that would require employees in larger cities to pass through metal detection and lunchbox inspection. If you were a peon like me from a small outlying domicile within the Corp. nobody paid attention to employee egress locally and when visiting the Big City were given access through the back gate bypassing all the hubub, go figure. In any event I think you can anticipate metal wanding to be forthcoming next at the very least in the OP's situation cause that's the natural progression.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    "Why so heavy, Mom45?"
    "Its full of... um... 'feminine care products... that time you know. Want to see them?"
    "NEEEEEXT!!!"
    :laugh:

I'll never forget the bag checks when I am carrying my Maxpedition versipack. They typically have you open the flap for the main compartment and look inside. Lifting the flap hides the zipper for the gun compartment from the inspector. I had one guy try to be extra thorough. He didnt like what he saw when I lifted the flap. He expected to find goodies but no. He obviously had a suspicion I was up to something and proceeded to have me open the front pouch as well as the outside zipper as well. All the while in his quest to be cool he was missing the money shot because what he REALLY wanted to find was obscured from his view. He waved me on in, slightly annoyed. :facepalm:

Shush. You're giving away secrets.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yep you pretty much have ZERO rites once you're on an employers dime or property. Unless you're Collin K, then the world kisses your looser a$$.

You don't give up your rights, just possibly the privilege of working there. There is a difference.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I worked at a place that allowed your gun in the car, but not in the building. I was ok with that. It's not a perfect world. If I was truly concerned with the mental instability of a co-worker, I would not hesitate to take that concern to HR.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You don't give up your rights, just possibly the privilege of working there. There is a difference.

Yep. You may be working under a policy that allows your employer to search you, you don't have to submit. If you're going to get fired if they find something they don't like, it doesn't make much sense to submit to the search. The worst that can happen is that you lose your job.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Our employer reserves the right to search your bags, lunch buckets, brief cases, etc. upon entering and leaving the premises. They do it infrequently. The last stretch of searches was caused when someone left a shell casing laying on the plant floor :rolleyes:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Our maintenance guys were allowed to work on personal projects when things were slow. One guy decided to build an upper. There was a random locker search, you can guess the rest.

Another employee was "borrowing" a heavy chain. He was walking past the security guard when the handle on his giant plastic lunch box gave out. The union was in an uproar because management wanted to start searching outgoing containers. Imagine that.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Federal and state work places where homeland security is a concern do not allow, by law, firearms on the property, except for their police forces. Normal places of business can't forbid you, by law, from storing a gun in your car. Normal places of business, by law, can't purposely search for a weapon or ask if you're carrying. They can forbid in the workplace but not in your vehicle. If they are searching for stolen property and find a forbidden gun, no laws were broken when searching for stolen property and finding a gun. If you ask what they're searching for, they probably won't tell you firearms or you'll be able to sue your employer.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My job requires me to be unarmed from the time I leave work until I get home. The trade off is a paycheck x times higher than normal. Knives during the day, guns at night.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    'Normal jobs' allow you to keep your gun in your car even if they won't allow it in the workplace. That's also the law. If the law doesn't prohibit it in your workplace, your employer can't prohibit it in your vehicle.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I wish it was 10 times. Federal job paid with federal dollars. I could make less and carry my gun in my car. I'm a big healthy guy so if I get into something I'll just take their gun and feed it to them.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I wish it was 10 times. Federal job paid with federal dollars. I could make less and carry my gun in my car. I'm a big healthy guy so if I get into something I'll just take their gun and feed it to them.

I wonder how many out of the last 100 guys to die by the gun said that very same thing

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Sigblitz

I'm curious, what do you mean by"Federal transportation property"? Is this land owned or leased by the Department of Transportation or one of its subsidiaries, or something else?

Top Bottom