• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dm1986

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    It’s been years since I went frog gigging, but I’ve had a hankering to go again. Does anyone have recommendations for places to go around Elkhart?

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    If the people up there are anything like they are around here in Dubois county, you'd have better luck asking for a million dollars. Good frog ponds and mushroom hunting spots are not to be shared.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    We used to do Knapp Lake every year with very good results. You will need a kayak because they are in the canals and they are all VERY shallow...think 4WD in the kayak.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Gotta plan ahead!
    I don’t know if people have luck with those eagle claw gig heads….. but I don’t and they break and are crap I found a place in Florida that sells some and they are pretty awesome and still fit within legal parameters.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don’t know if people have luck with those eagle claw gig heads….. but I don’t and they break and are crap I found a place in Florida that sells some and they are pretty awesome and still fit within legal parameters.
    I always enjoyed air rifles and air guns...when in the water wading just caught by hand.

Some of my favorite memories from my early years involve froggin with buddies in the small town where my family is from. God, I was blessed with some great times in my youth.

It's been too damn long since I've been doing it, but when I do the decades rewind in an instant.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Not a good time of year to start the hobby back up lol unless I’m mistaken.
    An Indiana resident 18 or older must have a valid hunting or fishing license to collect reptiles and amphibians from the wild, unless exempt under state law in IC 14-22-11. Legal methods must be used.

Bullfrog and green frog are considered to be game species and regulated by hunting and fishing laws in Indiana. These two species of frogs may be taken anytime between June 15 and April 30 of the following year. The daily bag limit for game frogs is 25 (in aggregate). The possession limit is 50 for game frogs. Please refer to the Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide or the Indiana Fishing Guide.

I had many fun summers in my youth fishing during the day, gigging in the evening and at night.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    An Indiana resident 18 or older must have a valid hunting or fishing license to collect reptiles and amphibians from the wild, unless exempt under state law in IC 14-22-11. Legal methods must be used.

Bullfrog and green frog are considered to be game species and regulated by hunting and fishing laws in Indiana. These two species of frogs may be taken anytime between June 15 and April 30 of the following year. The daily bag limit for game frogs is 25 (in aggregate). The possession limit is 50 for game frogs. Please refer to the Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide or the Indiana Fishing Guide.

I had many fun summers in my youth fishing during the day, gigging in the evening and at night.
    I’m not saying you can’t do it I just don’t recall seeing many frogs in the winter

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I’m not saying you can’t do it I just don’t recall seeing many frogs in the winter
    I agree. Late June out to around August are when you find the most by far. Between humans and predators many get picked off all summer. Then brumation kicks in a little later and the little critters stop moving around. Once the bugs are nearly gone they are in winter mode.

Top Bottom