• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I've ordered an APEX comp. kit and while I'm installing it I think it will be a good time to do a deep clean and switch to froglube. They have several products to choose from. I was thinking of getting the paste, but I also see they have a CLP and a solvent. To those that are using it now, what do you use? And how much?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Haven't used it, as I've heard too many stories from people that really didn't like how it gummed up their actions.

Don't know if that was user error, or poor product quality, or functioning as designed.
    But I do know that what I have (Slip2000 EWL) works really well and didn't see a reason to fix something that wasn't broken.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have used FrogLube and find it not so good in cold weather, otherwise it works fine for me. However, I do prefer to use Super QCG or EEZOX.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    Haven't used it, as I've heard too many stories from people that really didn't like how it gummed up their actions.

What I understand is that the gumming comes from froglube and petroleum bassed lubes mixing. That is why they recomend you remove all traces of lubricant from your gun before applying froglube.
    While I had my gun dissassembled, I was going to degrease the whole thing and apply froglube. I'm only going to do one gun to start with and see how I like it. A review will follow.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I used it for a while and liked it. Didn't run it hard or anything. My use is very light. I used it in hot and cold weather with zero issues. That said, I recently switched to the slip 2000 because if I do need to lube at the range or something and don't have my frog lube on me, I want to be able to use something and not worry about gumming up.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    My experiences with it while limited is not great. plus too many horror stories of it gumming up when very cold. I dont buy into it being any better than a lot of stuff out there. on the m&p it was designed to run with minimal lubrication and with an oil.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've used both the thinner version and the paste. I've used it hot and in the cold. It worked fine. BUT... I had a failure and admit that it was my fault. I added oil to a "Frog lubed" pistol.

When you go Froglube only use Froglube. When it gets cold then you need to make sure there's no build up of Froglube anywhere because it will freeze. If you wipe it all off when it's freezing out the metal stays slick feeling and the guns worked fine for me.

And today I just bought some Lucas gun oil to try. Now I need to make sure all the Froglube is removed.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Have tried the Brian Enos version of the same stuff (lowest viscosity) and the EGW version. For semi auto pistols I've come to believe that oil is what is needed and using grease instead gave me predictable results.
    What is working great for me is 10-30 synthetic motor oil.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Have tried the Brian Enos version of the same stuff (lowest viscosity) and the EGW version. For semi auto pistols I've come to believe that oil is what is needed and using grease instead gave me predictable results.
    What is working great for me is 10-30 synthetic motor oil.

That is sort of a bad statment. there are some pistols that much prefer grease(some were designed around being run with grease). A cover all is probably a poor way to approach it.

Most of the polymer stryker fired guns are going to run a bit better with an oil. Guns with full length rails like the sig's, CZ beretta 92/m9 series will almost always run better with grease. 1911s i've seen go either way but normally i run a high quality oil on mine.

Just because it works doesnt mean it is the best solution.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I was a strong proponent of Froglube for a while, but I've kind of drifted away from it. It does work (when applied properly), and I never had any issues with it in the cold even in sub-zero temps. The "proper application" thing is a PITA though, and frankly I got tired of messing with it.

I shoot my pistols a lot (over 10k through my carry gun last year alone). Once a year, I will detail strip and clean every little part spotless and inspect. Other than that, my cleaning routine is a nylon brush and Hoppe's, blast it out with brake cleaner, and re lube with Lucas Pro. Takes all of 5 minutes.

I still used the Froglube on non-stainless blades though.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    there are some pistols that much prefer grease(some were designed around being run with grease). .

Hmm. What manufacturers say to use grease? STI specifically says to avoid it and the manuals for all my other pistols say that oil is the way to go, exception being a Sig that came with a unique lube that was used very sparingly and supposed to impregnate the metal.

The 10-30 synthetic recommendation came from a gun builder that I have a lot of respect for.

Bsubtown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 19, 2013
    Dekalb county
    The more I read about different lube options the more I realize that no one knows anything. Product X works well for one guy and it made the next guy's gun explode. Find something that you like and works for you. If you look hard enough you will be able to dig up a guy who has every experience with every lube.

That being said; I have used Frog Lube in the past and it seems to work well. I like that I can see it soak into the surfaces to which it was applied. I did have issues running my Benelli M4 on it (the bolt would lock nearly all of the way back and not cycle properly) and sent it to Benelli. Benelli sent it back saying there were no problems. I have not had issues with it since I sent it in but have started adding another lube to the bolt. I have found it difficult to run any experiments on my guns and lube for a variety of reasons. 1) the cost of ammo for all of the iterations needed to make the data for a good experiment. 2) time 3) the lack of true desire to see what works best. As stated there is no one solution that will work for every gun, every time, everywhere.

In summation I like Frog Lube, I think.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Asking the best firearms lubricant is like asking for the best car.

If a lubricant is all you desire - there are myriad products out there that'll be just fine. Some may work better than others from a strictly lubricity standpoint.

if you want a lubricant + a cleaner - there are several products out there that'll be just fine. Some may work better than others as a cleaner; some may work better as a lubricant.

If you want a lubricant + cleaner + corrosion protectant - there are several products out there that'll be just fine. Some may work better from one aspect than the other two. Or two out of three.

Pick whatever combination you want.

Be leery of marketing. If a product says that it impregnates into the metal - beware. That's a lie. (Something may sit and stay better into the microscopic surface imperfections of a metal surface, but it won't "impregnate" the metal with product)

Final thoughts: Your actual "best" products may very well not be combination products; but stand-alone stuffs. CLP products (which I use, actually) may be jacks of all trades, but they're probably not masters of any.

Use what you want. Don't get ripped off. Don't use windex.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I used grease for a while but am completely away from using it anymore. Just made a mess out of everything and slower cycling on close tolorence guns.
    based on suggestions from another thread I started on lubrication I tried weapon shield and love it. Best stuff I have used to date. Guns are smooth as silk and clean up easy. I have not tried slip 2000 but I see it recommended a lot.maybe some day I will order some of that as well and give it a try but right I am sticking with Weapon Shield

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    i really love slip 2000. Just recently started using it in my AR's and was impressed. Also with my new BCM upper they sent me a free bottle. Sweet!
    now there is different types. Make sure you use the right bottle for whatever application you need it for

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Hmm. What manufacturers say to use grease? STI specifically says to avoid it and the manuals for all my other pistols say that oil is the way to go, exception being a Sig that came with a unique lube that was used very sparingly and supposed to impregnate the metal.

The 10-30 synthetic recommendation came from a gun builder that I have a lot of respect for.

I've used Breakfree CLP the past 3 years. It seems to work just fine and dandy for lubing. I have a lowly Ruger Sr9 with around 10k rounds through it, there are no signs of abnormal wear.

I have a relative that's been very involved in guns of all sorts for well over 50 years. I asked him one day what he use's "What ever motor oil I have close by". All of his guns look and run like new.

But really, if 10w-30 synthetic is good enough for todays tight tolerance engines, I don't see why it would not be perfect for guns.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've used Breakfree CLP the past 3 years. It seems to work just fine and dandy for lubing. I have a lowly Ruger Sr9 with around 10k rounds through it, there are no signs of abnormal wear.

I have a relative that's been very involved in guns of all sorts for well over 50 years. I asked him one day what he use's "What ever motor oil I have close by". All of his guns look and run like new.

But really, if 10w-30 synthetic is good enough for todays tight tolerance engines, I don't see why it would not be perfect for guns.

Will the motor oil stay where it's put?

Will it offer any corrosion resistance?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not think there is a single lube on that market that is inadequate when a firearm is kept relatively clean and lubed. Any lube that is allowed to be full of dirt and grit is counter productive, maybe even as bad as no lube. I sure do not think any of the "miracle lubes" are worth the bother, let alone the expense. I am really down on any lube that is not compatable with common lubes. I do not need any more complexity in life just so I can say I use some super deluxe lube that meets a need that I do not have. Between Lubriplate and CLP, I seem to have firearms from 1891 to 2015 covered. All the other lubes on my shelf are dusty and get used for squeeking door hinges and lawn equipment.

In the world of lubricants, conventional firearms really are not too demanding.

Last edited:

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne

Sig specifically says to use grease. Will they work with oil, of course, will they work better with a good grease, yes...Is the TW25 that comes with them the "good grease"? Absolutely not.

Most guns that have very tight tolerances will run much better with an oil. 10-30 synthetic has all the properties of good oil in my book and many others. With that said the only reason i dont run it is because technically a manufacturer could void a warranty based on "you were using an oil not specifically for use in a firearm" (dont quote me but i believe the burden of proof is on them whether that is what actually caused the failure of the item in question for warranty work but i could be wrong on that piece).

Personally i use Extreme Weapons Grease on my sig, my rifles, and my shotgun. I use the extreme weapons lube on my polymer guns. The biggest reason i chose Slip 2000 is that they are good people and a good company. Their grease is fantastic and their oil is very much wet like every other oil.

Top Bottom