• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Oh, and as far as burning someone else's property in "protest" is concerned, I think it's ridiculous and demonstrates the stupidity of the person involved.

Since it happened in CA though, it's a shame the fire didn't spread and burn the entire southern half of the state.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    When was the last time someone getting released from prison early on a manslaughter conviction made the news? Perhaps, just perhaps, it happens all the time. Perhaps, since it doesn't raise an eyebrow or make the news unless it's a high profile case or involves a police officer, the perception is that this officer is receiving treatment different than what many, if not most other convicts receive.

Thousands of people receive light sentences or have their charges dismissed before trial every month in this country. Proving guilt beyond a reasonable doubt is not an easy thing to do (for good reason). No one notices. As soon as one of those thousands is a police officer, prior police officer, someone who lives next door to a police officer or played cops and robbers as a kid, it's a huge cover-up/conspiracy.

1. Police officers are held to a higher standard than the rest of us, and rightly so. They are given authority over us and are therefore in a position to do much more harm than others.

2. Cops get off easy all the time. If you disagree, you apparently don't read this forum very much.

3. I think most of us would still be angry to see any violent criminal let off this easy, police officer or not.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    1. I have no problem with police officers being held to a higher standard. I think it should be that way but I also think that others who feel like this should be screaming about the hiring practices and demanding that they be made more difficult and stringent.

2. People get off easy all the time. It happens everywhere, all the time but since it doesn't make the news and anything involving LE does, the perception is that LE gets off easy all the time. Does a police officer have an edge in the courtroom? Sure they do, unless they're an idiot or a bad police officer they will obviously be educated in criminal investigations and if they choose to break the law they will therefore have the knowledge to make things very difficult on those investigating and/or prosecuting the case. Comes with the territory. Mechanics have an advantage when their car breaks down, doctors have an advantage when they get sick and politicians have an advantage in back room deals.

3. I agree. I don't like seeing violent criminals getting off easy any more than anyone else. This country has been going easy on criminals for decades and it gets worse every year. I've seen armed robbers get convicted and sentenced to probation. It never makes the news.

Top Bottom