• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Comrades- I secured this peice of the motherland from Dave's in Holland tonight. Brand new at a price that couldn't be refused.

Can't wait to try her out tomorrow- I've wanted one of these for a while now.

IndyS12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Zionsville, IN
    :yesway: Congrats! Those things are getting hard to find...(Edit: for a sane price)

A word of caution: putting one part on it will be hazardous...it leads to putting lots of stuff on it! :D

Chippp1961

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Congrats
    I like Daves,Its a really nice shop.
    I picked one up a while back at Whitaker's.
    Be warned.....90% of my internet time is spent looking a Saiga stuff now.
    Just got an order in today from Carolina Shooters Supply.
    Let the conversion begin.
    Chip

Comrades- I secured this peice o
    f the motherland from Dave's in Holland tonight. Brand new at a price that couldn't be refused.

Can't wait to try her out tomorrow- I've wanted one of these for a while now.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Little report here. I waited till all of 800 to sling some rounds with this beast and just now drug myself back in. I ran some Nobel 00 and Remington slugs through it, no problems. Then, I thought I would try some target loads. I didn't expect much because about everyone I've read online has had problems with lite loads. First mag of five only had one that didn't fail. Oh well, I thought, this was expected. But then I brought it in a played with the port settings, loaded up five Winchester target loads- no fails! Then, tried a mag of Remington target loads- no fails! More target loads- no fails! Yes!! Talk to me sweet, cheap bulk packs!:rockwoot:

@Chippp- No doubt! I spent a couple of hours on the saiga forums last night!:D

@ Indy- This was the first one I've seen in a shop for a while. Whittakers had them on sale a while back and I really wanted one then but didn't have the funds. I got this one for $642 out the door from Dave's. It is a bit steep, but cheaper than I've found about anywhere online. And I can definitely see your point with the mods- seems addicting to me already:laugh:

I'm pumped! I will soon anoint it as my DCCZW (Dedicated Close Combat Zombie Weapon):ar15:

I also feel a strange urge to collect the whole Saiga line, beginning with 308:):

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Welcome to the Saiga 12 club! They are a lot of fun, and even more so once you do the conversion. They have a couple hundred round break in period, and continue to smooth out over time. INGO member juggernaut is our resident Saiga 12 expert, and a mod on the Saiga forum.

If you only do one thing to it, I would suggest a different gas plug. This one seems to work as well as any of them, giving you five settings instead of 2 for finicky ammo. It's a cheap mod, requires no tools for adjustment, and takes about 30 seconds to install.
    https://www.mdarms.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=16&zenid=d4isortifn1bfmc4gve6jbihc2

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Welcome to the Saiga 12 club! They are a lot of fun, and even more so once you do the conversion. They have a couple hundred round break in period, and continue to smooth out over time. INGO member juggernaut is our resident Saiga 12 expert, and a mod on the Saiga forum.

If you only do one thing to it, I would suggest a different gas plug. This one seems to work as well as any of them, giving you five settings instead of 2 for finicky ammo. It's a cheap mod, requires no tools for adjustment, and takes about 30 seconds to install.
    https://www.mdarms.com/index.php?ma...oducts_id=16&zenid=d4isortifn1bfmc4gve6jbihc2

Thanks for the info! Juggernaut may be on a first name basis with me before it's over!

I'll check that plug too- thanks again.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Depending on where you are located, there's some of us that have done the conversion about anywhere. Just yell if you need to compare notes on something. I found the videos on carolina shooter supply's website to be extremely helpful the first time I did it...

And what they don't tell you is that once you do one of them - then all of the other Saigas and AK's start talking to you... it gets addictive. :D

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Depending on where you are located, there's some of us that have done the conversion about anywhere. Just yell if you need to compare notes on something. I found the videos on carolina shooter supply's website to be extremely helpful the first time I did it...

And what they don't tell you is that once you do one of them - then all of the other Saigas and AK's start talking to you... it gets addictive. :D

Wow- thanks for that offer! I've been watching some vids from the Carolina webpage, as well as drooling over their merchandise page.

I'm hearing you with the addictive part. The whole Saiga line is beginning to call me.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    One last piece of advice - when you get conversion parts (and I HIGHLY recommend talking to Greg at CSS for that...) Be sure to get the S12 kit with the Retaining Plate. NOT the Shepherd's Crook. I've said this before - but you will save yourself TONS of frustration and foul language if you use the plate option. Maybe it's just my fat fingers - but I'm not the only one that I've heard say it.... :D

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    One last piece of advice - when you get conversion parts (and I HIGHLY recommend talking to Greg at CSS for that...) Be sure to get the S12 kit with the Retaining Plate. NOT the Shepherd's Crook. I've said this before - but you will save yourself TONS of frustration and foul language if you use the plate option. Maybe it's just my fat fingers - but I'm not the only one that I've heard say it.... :D

:yesway: It's not just you and your fat fingers. Unless your some orphan assembling AK's in the third world, your fingers are too big to fish that wire through. I think that this is one of the only major design flaws with the Kalashnikov pattern rifles, and has a very simple solution.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Wow- thanks for that offer! I've been watching some vids from the Carolina webpage, as well as drooling over their merchandise page.

I'm hearing you with the addictive part. The whole Saiga line is beginning to call me.

I'm a Saiga enabler. Let me feed your addiction.

DSCF0458.jpg

DSCF0463.jpg

P9012844.jpg

PB032968.jpg

:rockwoot::ar15::ingo:

Chippp1961

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    @ Indy- This was the first one I've seen in a shop for a while. Whittakers had them on sale a while back and I really wanted one then but didn't have the funds. I got this one for $642 out the door from Dave's. It is a bit steep, but cheaper than I've found about anywhere online.
    In today's market that's not a bad deal.When Whitaker had them they were $580.00 plus tax

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I watched a vid from that site last night with a guy putting in a bolt hold open. That was his precise advise as well- saying that plate would save at least 3-4 hours of frustration.

@mammynun- that is one SWEET set-up! Enable me!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don't have any fears of doing a conversion, the conversion is easier than taking the gun down. I'd say it's necessary to do to any of the saiga series weapons. If you're having issues with low brass, get an MD arms vplug and booster puck, it will help quite a bit and the puck will give you another 922r part.

ioouvs.jpg

I still have the original and very old tromix DIY conversion trigger guard on mine.
    I never chopped my barrel because it's one of the old hammer forged ones, and patterns very nicely.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm a tester for the new md arms puck, but i haven't received it yet :( I'll do a review when it comes in. Another +1 for greg at css. Whatever you order will arrive faster than anything you've ever ordered off the internet. Nutty.

Top Bottom