From the back of the gun safe. The one I'm sure nobody else has.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    So I wanted to keep this trend going for a bit. Tonights bit from the back of the gun safe is one variant of a gun that there are many of, but you would be hard pressed to find this exact version, And while I may sound like the Corvette collector here who nitpicks the slightest variant in their car, this is one that I've personally never seen another one besides mine in person.

What I have here is a Glock 17L. When I got to high school and started getting into competitive shooting my father decided to start me off with GSSF Shoots which we did through the summer at our local range just south of Chicago Illinois. My dad would shoot his 3rd gen 17L while I was usually shooting a 3rd gen 17C. I ended up shooting his 17L and loving it so he looked for a while and found one at a gun show for me. Him and I drove up to the show and picked it up and I started using it instead.

A few years down the road I had ended up trading a Smith and Wesson M&P 9MM Compact for a Winchester 9422M XTR. When I showed the Winchester to my dad he immediately fell in love with it and offered me my old competition gun back.

While Glock 17L's are rare in their own right this is one of the absolute unicorn guns. When Glock first made the 17L's it was towards a transition period from the Gen-1 to the Gen-2 frame, So Glock only manufactured about 1000-1500 on the Gen-1 frame, and of those I believe there are only about 2000 or so still in circulation. This one is Serialized in the Sub 500 range, It still includes what they called the "Weekend" adjustable target sights directly from Glock. The Front slide was cut out for weight reduction and the trigger was set at about 3.5 pounds from the factory.

So why didn't this awesome gun ever take off? In the late 80's and early 90's competition circuits the 17L Dominated, So much that it was almost an unfair advantage so the rules ended up needing to be changed. (Reminds me of racing circuits and the superbirds being disqualified by rule changes) In the end Glock ended up making the 34 to fit within the correct qualifications and they kept the 17L as a rare variant that every few years they would import a few thousand into the US.

So, if you've made it this far leave a comment, let me know your thoughts and tell me what you want to see next. Glock.jpeg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    A buddy has a 34 and it never felt right in my hand. It didn't shoot particularly well for him, so he had me try it and it wasn't any better for me. Not sure if it's the gun or maybe we both just suck. He tried to sell it a number of years back and couldn't get anybody to bite, so now it just sits in his safe. I'd be curious to try a 17L, just to see if there's a noticeable difference.

Like @Gingerbeardman I'm a P320 guy, so that may have been part of my problem with the G34. I did have a G26 for years before I got into the Sigs and really liked it, but that's kinda the opposite end of the spectrum from the 34/17L!

10mm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2024
    Greencastle
    I've heard mention of the 17L, but I've never had one in my hands. My gen4 G40 mos has adjustable sights from factory. It makes me wonder if there's been any significant changes from the generations between sights. Now I have a new thing to obsess over until I figure it out.

CB1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 27, 2018
    Putnam County
    Keep bringing them out. I had the 17L. Maybe twice? Then a 34. Multiple 17's, 19, 26, 48. All gone now except the 19 belongs to a daughter. My only Glock now is the standard 43, which I kinda like. It digests the rounds which won't pass the plunk test in my other pistols! But I really like it for more reasons than that. It just fits real well and is a fairly good shooter for it's size. They are all good pistols. I always thought though the 17L and 34 seemed to cycle slow, like you are having to wait on it. 26 and 19 are fast for me. IIRC my 17 Gen 2 had that rear sight in the early 90's. I don't know if any of the pre gen 5's are any more inherently accurate than the others, but I have heard, read, and seen where the Glock 26 may be somewhat special!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    So I wanted to keep this trend going for a bit. Tonights bit from the back of the gun safe is one variant of a gun that there are many of, but you would be hard pressed to find this exact version, And while I may sound like the Corvette collector here who nitpicks the slightest variant in their car, this is one that I've personally never seen another one besides mine in person.

What I have here is a Glock 17L. When I got to high school and started getting into competitive shooting my father decided to start me off with GSSF Shoots which we did through the summer at our local range just south of Chicago Illinois. My dad would shoot his 3rd gen 17L while I was usually shooting a 3rd gen 17C. I ended up shooting his 17L and loving it so he looked for a while and found one at a gun show for me. Him and I drove up to the show and picked it up and I started using it instead.

A few years down the road I had ended up trading a Smith and Wesson M&P 9MM Compact for a Winchester 9422M XTR. When I showed the Winchester to my dad he immediately fell in love with it and offered me my old competition gun back.

While Glock 17L's are rare in their own right this is one of the absolute unicorn guns. When Glock first made the 17L's it was towards a transition period from the Gen-1 to the Gen-2 frame, So Glock only manufactured about 1000-1500 on the Gen-1 frame, and of those I believe there are only about 2000 or so still in circulation. This one is Serialized in the Sub 500 range, It still includes what they called the "Weekend" adjustable target sights directly from Glock. The Front slide was cut out for weight reduction and the trigger was set at about 3.5 pounds from the factory.

So why didn't this awesome gun ever take off? In the late 80's and early 90's competition circuits the 17L Dominated, So much that it was almost an unfair advantage so the rules ended up needing to be changed. (Reminds me of racing circuits and the superbirds being disqualified by rule changes) In the end Glock ended up making the 34 to fit within the correct qualifications and they kept the 17L as a rare variant that every few years they would import a few thousand into the US.

So, if you've made it this far leave a comment, let me know your thoughts and tell me what you want to see next. View attachment 327822
    Ehh? there was one at the last Stout Field Gun Show..

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Very interesting pistol ... even more interesting bourbon. Can't tell if this bottle has been opened, but if it has, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

The knife ... meh ... I'm not a Benchmade guy.

My score for this photo composition is 9/10.

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    Very interesting pistol ... even more interesting bourbon. Can't tell if this bottle has been opened, but if it has, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

The knife ... meh ... I'm not a Benchmade guy.

My score for this photo composition is 9/10.
    Hoping by the end of the year I'll have each bottle in my bar shown at least once. And this bottle has been opened and even as I am typing this I am enjoying a small sample of it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I gotta have my brother Jeff to send me a pic of his. It was rare back then and he carries it almost daily. I bought him a kydex holster for it this Christmas as he was forced to carry in the stock Glock holster.

macolesby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2022
    Terre Haute
    I gotta have my brother Jeff to send me a pic of his. It was rare back then and he carries it almost daily. I bought him a kydex holster for it this Christmas as he was forced to carry in the stock Glock holster.
    When I worked in a shop I carried this one a few times, It was always an interested one whenever another Glock fan-boy would come in and notice it and nearly have an aneurysm.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've had 2 17L's over the years. They shoot like a laser, so much that I was accused of "cheating" at a Steel Challenge match a few years back! I sold off the ones I had because they don't fit the box for IDPA and I don't shoot USPSA or SC anymore....

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The only Glock grip that ever felt good in my hand was a Gen 1. Your 17L is very unique and has a great story behind it.

Armymen3002

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2024
    Kokomo
    I was trying to think of a gun I have that no one else would have and I really don’t think I have one..I have a rifle that most people aren’t going to have..But I’m also not into the weird collector items lol

Twinks46975

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Jul 14, 2022
    Rochester

So, if you've made it this far leave a comment, let me know your thoughts and tell me what you want to see next. View attachment 327822
    Thanks for sharing, I saw a long slide for sale several years ago at the big Fort Wayne gun show. I should have paid better attention to the serial number etc. I can’t even remember the sights it had now. I’ll pay better attention if I ever happen on one in the future.

Top Bottom