From the country that inspired our Second Amendment, as well as the rest of the Bill of Rights...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Are the sabers sharp?
    One is ceremonial . . . used when others may be handling it . . . such as a military wedding which has a ceremonial use for them. Edge is fairly dull although you could certainly beat someone quite severely with it. Too many idiots, especially kids, want to play with one swinging it around. My now ex-wife "lost control of it" at a military wedding and I had to quickly save guests from an eleven year old boy who began playing Princess Bride's Inigo Montoya with it indoors. Try swinging a full-size saber around indoors. Hard enough doing basic manual of arms with one without stabbing something. Later I figured out with some high probability after talking to others that she had let him walk off with it unsupervised, oblivious to what an eleven year old boy would do with one. I was not pleased, an understatement. You can still run someone completely through easily with its very pointy end. Steel is decent, but not the kind used in real swords and sabers.

The other I've worn with the formal uniform, but not for ceremonial use like the arch at a wedding. It is a slightly longer - made for my height - and heavier, a very real battle sabre, made from sword grade steel. It's sharp enough to decapitate someone with a full blow. If you're not aware, only the lower half of the edge is sharpened on a saber. If you look at the photo, you can see the transition on the blade. This is because the upper half nearest the hilt is used for blocking adversarial blows. If it were sharpened, it would take deep nicks that could easily result in blade failure (breakage). Slashing is always done with the lower half of the edge and the goal is to keep an adversary at a distance to avoid grappling and inability to make a solid strike. Watch a real saber match some time -- a bit different from fencing -- and a single match is 15 points (strikes). A single point is typically over very, very quickly, less than a second or two. In real combat, it wouldn't be much longer, even between two skilled swordsmen -- unlike the movies. Same was true with real Samurai. Individual combat over quickly. Matches are readily found on YouTube . . . with competition sabers being floppier for safety . . . or you'd have hands and arms to clean up. Similar concept when using a bayonet on the end of a rifle, the difference being it's more a pike than sword or saber. Possibly more than you want to know. The one in the photo is the real battle saber.

Top Bottom