• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Ok, first of all, excuse my ignorance on this issue. I have paperwork in the process for an SBR, more specifically a Colt 6933 10.5 that "should" be here by next month. This is my first AR, much less NFA purchase.

My confusion is with front hand guards/rails. The rifle comes with the standard round hand guard/heat shield but wanting to mount a light on it and will be needing to add an attachment system to do this. I am looking at them from many manufactures and the more I look the more confused I get. Is this a standard item? Will all of them fit an SBR? Are they system specific (gas or piston)?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    They are system specific and gun specific.
    The cool thing is there are a zillion choices.
    When you take your hand guards off there is a ring that will support them, some new hand guards will work with that, BUT some have there own mounting system.

So find out what your gun is built with, they, shop for what you like, keep in mind your front gas block/sight post, removable or not

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    They are system specific and gun specific.
    The cool thing is there are a zillion choices.
    When you take your hand guards off there is a ring that will support them, some new hand guards will work with that, BUT some have there own mounting system.

So find out what your gun is built with, they, shop for what you like, keep in mind your front gas block/sight post, removable or not

Thanks, I do not think the front sight is removable very easily. It sounds like I may have to wait till I can get it in my possession before I order one.

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    The important thing to look for is the type/length of gas system you have. There are 2 types. Standard is the DI (direct impingement) and the other is gas piston. Most likely, you have a DI unless you spent extra money and told your supplier to make it gas piston operated. Since you are also getting an SBR upper, it's impossible to put a mid length or full length system on a barrel that is only 10.5 inches. Therefore, you will be looking for CARBINE length quad rail handguards for DI gas systems. There are multiple sources for these and they almost universally fit. SOME manufacturer specifically say they do NOT fit gas piston systems. But, since you probably don't have that setup you shouldn't have to worry.

Signal23

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Greenwood
    If you have a "pinned" front sight you can get a 2 piece free float hand guard and it will work just fine.
    Instead of sliding over the end in one piece.
    It has a top and a bottom that closes like a clam shell over the barrel and TA DA, you have pretty much the same thing with out the drama of taking off the sight post (if it's pinned)

Top Bottom