Front sight focus on fast moving targets ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Am wondering if part of the opportunity to improve (I suck) on movers is about sight focus.

You folks ever find yourself looking at/for the target with a fuzzy front sight?

More importantly can you successfully train yourself to have your eyes right for movers that pop out quickly at distances beyond where you can point shoot with sufficient accuracy?

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I would ask if you think it's a bad thing as you describe looking at the target with a fuzzy front sight?

That would be target focus, how I shoot the vast majority of my shots, usually about 15 yards is where I'll switch back to a front sight focus. That doesn't mean you can't see your front sight, it just not in perfect focus.

But I guess to vaguely answer your question I see good shooters shoot movers with a high degree of accuracy often.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I would ask if you think it's a bad thing as you describe looking at the target with a fuzzy front sight?

On static targets it seems like a bad thing for accuracy for me personally.

If I'm reading the responses right (thanks folks!), it seems like I'm being told that getting front sight focus on fast movers might just be a matter of recognizing the problem (looking for the target and focusing where it is/ will be) and then telling yourself not to repeat it. Probably not as easy as it reads, but I'm anxious to work on it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You folks ever find yourself looking at/for the target with a fuzzy front sight?

All the time, incl on statics. There comes a point (distance/partials/lighting/etc) where I can't "see what I need to see" to ensure a good hit w/ a target focus where I shift to the more traditional method of first finding the target, then focusing on the FS. Have you read enos' book? whole chapter on focus and different types of focus.

Pure FS focus is always more accurate, but our A box is huge.

I tend to shift to more FS focus on movers, especially if I'm tracking vs ambushing.

More importantly can you successfully train yourself to have your eyes right for movers that pop out quickly at distances beyond where you can point shoot with sufficient accuracy?

I think what you are asking is can you train yourself to be FS focused, even during the phase where you are trying to find the target? I don't know if that's the best approach, unless it's only available for such a brief time you barely have the time to react and shift focus, but that would have to be super fast.

There are lots of scenarios w/ movers, but I'll try to generalize...

in uspsa we often treat movers as static... we trigger an activator, shoot something static while waiting on the mover, then go shoot the mover when it's [hopefully, if our timing is right] at max availability and barely moving. I'd say from a vision standpoint you shoot these almost like any other static. target focus if it's easy enough, FS focus if it's partial or far...

If I have to track a mover I tend to aim towards the leading edge of the A (esp w/ slower bullets), and tend to FS focus after initially aligning the gun. I think maybe because it's easy enough to follow the blob [target] but since my hands are moving I want to ensure I stay aligned. If it's so close I don't feel I need to lead I may stay target focused. That's just me, maybe not "best..."

best thing you can do is set some up and practice. Several years ago (when I was still in MD), myself and a buddy dragged out every mover the club had, and shot them for about 4 hours, every way imaginable... ambushed/timed, leading them, multiples, random and blind starts, etc.

was never afraid of them since....

-rvb

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I think what you are asking is can you train yourself to be FS focused, even during the phase where you are trying to find the target? I don't know if that's the best approach, unless it's only available for such a brief time you barely have the time to react and shift focus, but that would have to be super fast.

That is what I was wondering.
    I need to read the Enos focus stuff again, good thought.

Fist in brown hammer down.

I'm guessing that this is not something about one handed shooting.

Top Bottom